GDT: Game 11: Sabres vs Blue Jackets - 10/27 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Columbus reminds me of Vegas in that they seem to identify the rookies on a young team, waiting for them to make mistakes, and pounce when they do. Tage, Dahlin, Mitts each were made to look foolish at times, their mistakes were taken advantage of. They each looked great at times too.

In three more months, assuming each of them keeps developing, I think we would take this game.
The Jackets are a tough matchup for everyone. They attack in waves, and while a lot of teams that involve their defense settle for the drop pass->shot, Columbus is always willing to use those numbers to make the extra pass. And if you play up on their defense, it opens up space to stretch pass to a group of skilled forwards who can absolutely break you down 1v1.

The one reason the Jackets aren't completely overwhelming is that they don't have an answer for the league's best offensive forwards. With Jenner/Dubinsky checking units regularly surrendering a lot of shots - and their overall pace of play - Columbus is often left looking to overcome opposing first line production through other matchups. It's one of the reasons they've plugged undervalued scorers onto the fourth line throughout the years. It's also why they've struggled in the playoffs against teams with the best forward in the series.

As for this game, I'm not even sure it's a question of development as much as a lineup issue. Rodrigues' can sub in for anyone on a Reinhart line that was getting cratered by Panarin, and also helps prevent Mittelstadt getting played off the ice (shouts to Thompson for the nifty play on the goal though). A better version of Mittelstadt certainly helps, but the organization is deep enough that we won't be dressing Thompson-level production beyond extreme cases.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I think that Columbus would have won several playoff series over the past few years had they not always drawn the cup-winner in the first round playing in a stacked division

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The Jackets are a tough matchup for everyone. They attack in waves, and while a lot of teams that involve their defense settle for the drop pass->shot, Columbus is always willing to use those numbers to make the extra pass. And if you play up on their defense, it opens up space to stretch pass to a group of skilled forwards who can absolutely break you down 1v1.

The one reason the Jackets aren't completely overwhelming is that they don't have an answer for the league's best offensive forwards. With Jenner/Dubinsky checking units regularly surrendering a lot of shots - and their overall pace of play - Columbus is often left looking to overcome opposing first line production through other matchups. It's one of the reasons they've plugged undervalued scorers onto the fourth line throughout the years. It's also why they've struggled in the playoffs against teams with the best forward in the series.

As for this game, I'm not even sure it's a question of development as much as a lineup issue. Rodrigues' can sub in for anyone on a Reinhart line that was getting cratered by Panarin, and also helps prevent Mittelstadt getting played off the ice (shouts to Thompson for the nifty play on the goal though). A better version of Mittelstadt certainly helps, but the organization is deep enough that we won't be dressing Thompson-level production beyond extreme cases.

I agree with everything you're saying, although with injuries likely to pop up again soon, and regularly, I think we'll have to get used to seeing Thompson in the lineup, even after Erod is back. But even Thompson aside, Dahlin and Middletstadt having three months more development could've made all the difference in that game. They both made mistakes they won't be making again very often, and they'll both be finding their offense soon-ish.

It's definitely not to say that they made the most mistakes -- certainly not trying to assign blame to the youngest guys. And I concede that it's not a profound statement.

Regarding their style of play, that's well summarized. It's funny that they took advantage of Buffalo playing up on them since playing up on the other team's D has been part of what's been helping lately. They were caught being too reckless with it. I guess (hope) finding that sweet spot will come.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I agree with everything you're saying, although with injuries likely to pop up again soon, and regularly, I think we'll have to get used to seeing Thompson in the lineup, even after Erod is back. But even Thompson aside, Dahlin and Middletstadt having three months more development could've made all the difference in that game. They both made mistakes they won't be making again very often, and they'll both be finding their offense soon-ish.

It's definitely not to say that they made the most mistakes -- certainly not trying to assign blame to the youngest guys. And I concede that it's not a profound statement.

Regarding their style of play, that's well summarized. It's funny that they took advantage of Buffalo playing up on them since playing up on the other team's D has been part of what's been helping lately. They were caught being too reckless with it. I guess (hope) finding that sweet spot will come.
Yeah, but the organization is also deep enough that Thompson doesn't get plugged in for long-term injuries, Olofsson/Nylander/Smith do. Thompson's contract status makes him the pick for emergency spot-duty, which is what we saw last night, but he's probably destined for the minors with ERod's return. Even though RFA status is already ticking, I don't expect Botterill to keep him up if he's not one of the 12 best forwards on the team, and then he's in a 3-5 way competition to make it back.

Edit - while the version of Mittelstadt we hope to end the season with certainly helps helps in this matchup, I just feel like this is a case where the Sabres would normally either have an in-house solution to some of the issues from last night, or would have a better substitute if Rodrigues was week to week after the Habs game.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Very well-informed and well-read post. The like button wasn't enough.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah, but the organization is also deep enough that Thompson doesn't get plugged in for long-term injuries, Olofsson/Nylander/Smith do. Thompson's contract status makes him the pick for emergency spot-duty, which is what we saw last night, but he's probably destined for the minors with ERod's return. Even though RFA status is already ticking, I don't expect Botterill to keep him up if he's not one of the 12 best forwards on the team, and then he's in a 3-5 way competition to make it back.

Edit - while the version of Mittelstadt we hope to end the season with certainly helps helps in this matchup, I just feel like this is a case where the Sabres would normally either have an in-house solution to some of the issues from last night, or would have a better substitute if Rodrigues was week to week after the Habs game.

I think they play roulette with the Rochester options from young to old, with Olofsson being the front runner if the callup is for the top 9, and Smith if it’s for the current shutdown line.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I hope you're right about Thompson. I would like to see the supposed competition start resulting in actual changes and call-ups/send downs soon. Also, Thompson could maybe use a confidence boost, if his struggles are mental in nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad