GDT: Game 11: Finland Vs Kazakhstan | 9PM EST 3PM CET | FIN 7 - 1 KAZ

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Last Kazakh-born player was taken in NHL when the oldest members of this team were 3-years old.

Wow didn’t know it was that scarce, thanks for the info. Figured there might have been some late round picks here and there

Only 5 Kazakh players were drafted and played in the NHL (plus one undrafted). All between 1994 and 2003. Last one was Konstantin Pushkarev in 2003 2nd round 44th overall by LA and he played 17 games between 2005 and 2007 for LA. An undrafted Kazakh goalie played 4 games for Colorado in 2004-2005. The last Kazakh in the NHL was Antropov in 2013 (1999-2013).

Only 2 played 100+ games ( Nik Antropov and Maxim Kuznetsov). Antropov has more games, goals, points and penalty minutes than the other 4 combined.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Seems like Kazakhs are focusing on trying to injure as many Finns as possible in this game.

Ny rillataan

Timo Jutila
Jan 7, 2017
Toronto
Räty goal? Which one? Just as i quit watching ofc..

upload_2019-12-29_10-28-20.png

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What are these refs looking at? It's not the game, that's for sure.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Saarela all alone in front of the net, fires the puck to the post...

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Something I've been wondering is why Tanus has never been drafted. To me he always looks better than numerous high draft picks, and his individual skill and hockey IQ are amongst the highest on the team.

Then there's guys like Saarela who's never impressed me at all and who's always made me wonder why he's so highly touted.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Jesus, this Kazakhstan squad must be some prison league team. Who the hell ducks like that to avoid a hit?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Something I've been wondering is why Tanus has never been drafted. To me he always looks better than numerous high draft picks, and his individual skill and hockey IQ are amongst the highest on the team.

Then there's guys like Saarela who's never impressed me at all and who's always made me wonder why he's so highly touted.
Size I think why he might not become NHL player. Maccelli could.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Like it or not, size is still a big factor.

Reactions: Ippenator

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
That should be a match penalty, even without injury.

Please Raipe give Räty's more icetime, maybe even take Killinen and Thomson off the PP.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Is it very funny to sit into penalty-box or why Finland's players still take those idiotic penalties.
This U20 WJC team Finland has to be most undisciplined Finnish U20 team what i have seen for years.

Also coaching-staff doesn't have any balls to keep discipline in the team.
It's not a secret at these idiotic penalties will cost a game / games very soon
if Finland can't stay out of penalty-box.

Now get that freaking win and stop taking those idiotic penalties in 3rd period.
NO PENALTIES ANYMORE Finland.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Have to definitely agree with you here. Saarela brothers are in general classic ”tools without toolbox” type of players, and Antti is even more so than Aleksi. In addition some overconfidece and entitlement type of attitude problems, and it’s pretty sure that no Saarela brother will be a good NHL level player ever.

I’m not sure though if Tanus will either become a good NHL player ever, because he is really that small and lacking with strength, and I’m not convinced that his skating (especially top speed) will ever be the level that is usually needed for a really small player to make it at the NHL level. I don’t mean that he is by any means a bad skater. On the contrary, I think he is a pretty good skater in general. But for such small sized players it’s usually important to be a pretty much exceptional skater to make it big in the NHL. Unfortunately I’m not confident if Tanus has the potential to develop his skating to that level.

Otherwise I definitely agree with you - he has very good skills in general and he seems to also be an extremely high level hockey IQ player, and as I think that is still by a huge margin the most important skill that defines if a player can really become a top class player at the top level, I think he could really have some chances of making it in the NHL, even if he will not manage to develop his skating to an exceptional level.

Last edited:
Reactions: king89

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Oden is one guy who has improved throughout the tournament so far. Have to give credit where it's due.

Reactions: Svedu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad