Pre-Game Talk: GAME #11 - Canucks vs. Flames - February 9th, 7:00 HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Someone explain the Otto reference.

We were the Cinderella team that year (1989).

We had taken the Flames to game seven in the first round and were out playing them. Stan Smyl had a clear breakaway from the blue line in. Unfortunately he shot it into Vernon's glove.

And then a puck was passed into the Vancouver crease. Otto scored and that was it for us. Replays showed Otto clearly kicked the puck in.

There were no video replays in those ancient times and the goal stood.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge

We had taken the Flames to game seven in the first round and were out playing them. Stan Smyl had a clear breakaway from the blue line in. Unfortunately he shot it into Vernon's glove.

And then a puck was passed into the Vancouver crease. Otto scored and that was it for us. Replays showed Otto clearly kicked the puck in.

and the Flames went on to win their only Stanley Cup...whenever someone here in Alberta asks how many Cups the Canucks have i always say..."Otto kicked it in" How they respond to that decides how much i respect them as a hockey fan.

JohnnyWalker

May 25, 2011
Toronto ON

Actually Vernon admitted after the game he was making deperation saves in the OT. So Steamer didn't just shoot into Vernon's glove. Just saying.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Game #11 vs the Flames.

Seeing the number 11 associated with the Canucks and Flames brings back warm and fuzzy memories.

You yunguns will have to ask your Dad's about that glorious day.....

March 1, 1992. Don't even have to look that up. Still the best hockey game I've ever watched. Probably haven't laughed that hard since. :laugh:

any chance kesler is back for this game?

Nope. Personally, I think March might be more realistic.

Otto kicked it in, it is then.

Are you sure the majority would remember who is Otto?

The ones who matter would. ;)

-----------------------------------

On one hand, terrified of playing against the Flamers' backup while we're riding a win streak, but on the other...Calgary sucks.

5-1 Canucks. Raymond with 2 goals, Sedinery nets at least one, and...ah, what the hell. Ballard blasts one on the PP. Why not.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah I guess that miscue puts the rest of the detailed prediction into question.

Warning SB confession time: I used to not mind the Flames back in the late 80s/early 90s (yes even 89) but it quickly developed into a hatred by the 93-95 seasons...

And then when that inbred rat Gilmour was traded to the Leaves and deliberately broke Sandstroms' arm and received a "7 day suspension excluding game days" I began my deep hatred for the Leaves and Don Cherry, and a mild short lived sympathy for the Kings...

I cheered for the Flames in the Battles of Alberta and even after the beat Vancouver in 89. Hated the Oilers and Canadians. Favorite Eastern team by far was Boston. Things have changed a lot. In those days Canucks fans needed other teams to cheer for in the West and East to have any interest in the playoffs. Thank god that has changed.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I cheered for the Flames in the Battles of Alberta and even after the beat Vancouver in 89. Hated the Oilers and Canadians. Favorite Eastern team by far was Boston. Things have changed a lot. In those days Canucks fans needed other teams to cheer for in the West and East to have any interest in the playoffs. Thank god that has changed.

I can't believe I cheered them on in '89 also. =\

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This guy knows it. :yo: OT did the song straight lines by silverchair in 2007-2008ish get to Canada? Such a sad transformation. But mid 90's silverchair !!!!

Disclaimer: not really a big Silverchair fan, that was just the first song that came to mind when I saw the word 'massacre'. I think I actually did have that CD, though. A lot of the 90's are a bit of a blur for me, tbph. Had some...ill-advised "hobbies" back then.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Disclaimer: not really a big Silverchair fan, that was just the first song that came to mind when I saw the word 'massacre'. I think I actually did have that Cassette, though. A lot of the 90's are a bit of a blur for me, tbph. Had some...ill-advised "hobbies" back then.

Fixed that for ya.;)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
March 1, 1992. Don't even have to look that up. Still the best hockey game I've ever watched. Probably haven't laughed that hard since. :laugh:

well this is weird, it looks like sportsnet ran highlights of this game decades later for no good reason other than because it was awesome. of course our friend M A K A V E L L I has archived it online for us.

i'm now six years older than mclean was when he played that game. sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->