Post-Game Talk: GAME #11: Canucks 4, Jets 1: The first win at the MTS in years

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
You know Benn and Tanev have virtually the career ppg. Also I think the pairing will help Hughes get more space because Benn is willing to shoot the puck. Last year Tanev go to thing to do in the offensive zone was to pass to Hughes and would always be hesitant to shoot.

Let's not get to exuberant with our praise here.....Yes Benn looks like a decent option atm to play with Hughes. He's still very limited offensively - which is fine - play just doesn't exactly flow incredibly smoothly in transition with him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
First period was horrible and there's no way we should have been ahead.

Final 40 minutes was by far the team's most organized, cohesive effort this season.
I think horrible is a bit much. There wasn’t a massive hole in the net front line usual. Maybe Winnipeg was just looking for clean looks a little further out but it was improved imo. The following 2 periods were excellent though. I can’t recall a standout Demko save.

Reactions: mossey3535

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Let's not get to exuberant with our praise here.....Yes Benn looks like a decent option atm to play with Hughes. He's still very limited offensively - which is fine - play just doesn't exactly flow incredibly smoothly in transition with him.
Yeah he’s not Tanev. Tanev just played 23:43 against a team that averaged 6 goals a game against the Canucks in a shutout.

This is more of a Luke Schenn partner than a Tanev. That’s fine. He looks better than he did at any point last season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah he’s not Tanev. Tanev just played 23:43 against a team that averaged 6 goals a game against the Canucks in a shutout.

This is more of a Luke Schenn partner than a Tanev. That’s fine. He looks better than he did at any point last season.

People don't really want to hear it, but Hughes has been dropped to the 3rd pairing at ES.

ES TOI last night :

Myers 21:12 - Schmidt 18:31
Chatfield 17:33 - Edler 19:16
Benn 11:28 - Hughes 15:57

And yup, he's going to look a lot better shredding soft 3rd pairing minutes. Green has bailed on using him as an unsheltered high-minutes guy.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
miller seems a bit frustrated and off since the ottawa series. maybe wait till he gets his legs going then the lotto line will fire on all cylinders. on pp unit one i like schmidt to move up in place of hughes or petey switch. opponents know hughes doesn't shoot , petey on the point ripping bombs will do wonders.
Interesting idea, but Hughes regularly rips slappers from the blue line, particularly in the centre, on the PP.

The PP has looked deadly for the past four games since they figured out you can't score if you don't shoot.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Best skater on the ice by a good margin to my eyes was Boeser. It’s pretty telling how far his game has come when Green has him out late in the game defending a two goal lead.
Disagree.

BB has been brilliant, but I think Hogs was the best skater on the team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Disagree.

BB has been brilliant, but I think Hogs was the best skater on the team.

Hoglander is a handful in the offensive zone and was forcing turnovers and generating chances like crazy. But I noticed Boeser with a lot of smart sticks and plays in his own end, too - the quiet stuff that doesn’t get a lot of attention, but it was a really nice two way game from him.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Brock is back!

But let's not forget Petey's accomplishment of 10 goals in his first 10 games (remember he was injured in that cheap hit from Matheson and out for 6 games) which has only been matched by the Great One.

I think I'm just being picky but I find these headlines that tries to grab your attention rather annoying. What I mean is, the media pull out some random ass achievement that no one gives a crap about and stick on that on a player. Something like "oh he is the 1st player under the age of 25 into his 2nd season who scored 15 goals in first half of the season while missing only one game WOW!!!".

"Brock Boeser leading NHL in goals scored, what a stud!" A thousand times more efficient and resonating to the crowd than that original tweet.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
People don't really want to hear it, but Hughes has been dropped to the 3rd pairing at ES.

ES TOI last night :

And yup, he's going to look a lot better shredding soft 3rd pairing minutes. Green has bailed on using him as an unsheltered high-minutes guy.
In my experience people are pretty indifferent to hearing about how players have been deployed if the information is accurate. I think everyone can see Hughes is having more trouble defending in the early going. At this point I think teams are discussing defensive positioning against him in film sessions, looking at which directions he pivots when under pressure, etc. He's going to get that attention from here on out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

ES TOI last night :

We haven't found a partner for Hughes to play with yet like we did with Tanev. EF talked about it a bit on 31 thoughts, Quinn absolutely needs a partner to help him defend, and be an option to move the puck.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

ES TOI last night :

Ok, but is this a trend?

One thing about WPG and OTT is that neither of them had a speedster that they sent after Quinn. They got a decent forecheck for one period but couldn't quite catch up to him. Montreal sent Suzuki to harass him, Calgary used Mangiapane, and Edmonton had a ton of guys who did the same. All Quinn's partners seemed pretty pylon-like in those situations and I don't think it's a coincidence that team performance tanked when Quinn was neutralized leaving only Schmidt as half a pairing who was effective.

I know Benn has only been round for one game against those opponents, so we'll see how well he pairs with Quinn long term. I don't look at Ottawa games which should be easy W's or his first game paired with Quinn against MTL (which I didn't like but was his first game of the season) as very good indicators.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->