GDT: Game 10 | Columbus vs. Detroit | 7 p.m. Oct. 30, Nationwide Arena | FS-OH

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
It's quite amazing how long the CBJ power play has been terrible for.....and watching other teams, get set up, get shots at the net, and we just can't do a mother***ING thing with an extra man....it's beyond frustrating.
3 PP goals for Minnie tonight. And they don't have Ovi or Crosby, remember Larsen blamed personnel for our abysmal PP.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Korpisalo (3.99 GAA-tied for worst in league for goalies playing 5 games or more) maintained his perfect 4-0-0 record. He just knows when to make those "big saves" and when to get yanked. Bob got the loss.

Watching Zerenski 30 feet behind the play on odd man rush scoring opportunities for the opponents is getting very old. Huge coaching issue.

Wennberg needs to go ASAP. His $4.9 million AAV runs through 2022-23. Let someone else carry that burden.

Jarmo's signing of Riley Nash has been putrid to date.

Jenner is on pace for zero assists. Noted playmaker Markus Hainikainen had two more assists in a 7:11 span of the third period than Jenner has had all season.

This is a roughly .500 non playoff hockey team based on its first 11 games.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Looking at the schedule I definitely didn't expect the team to be 3-4 @ Nationwide arena to begin the season.

Home record the past two seasons just for fun...
  • 2017-18: 26-12-3
  • 2016-17: 28-12-1
*EDIT: 3-1 on the road is nice though.. lets hope we can continue that this coming weekend ;)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's a head-scratcher. The power play should be so much better given the talent. It's painful to watch. Terrible entries into the zone, slow puck movement, and little traffic in front of the net. Terrible.
NHL.com - Stats

Since Torts was hired (stats include the 8 games of Todd Richards if anyone wants to get super technical) the CBJ rank 24th on the PP.
NHL.com - Stats

In the same period of time they were 14th in overall goals scored, so it's not as if there hasn't been enough talent to score PP goals at least an average rate.

Pretty clear that Torts can't coach an effective PP. I wouldn't want to talk about it if I were him either.

But the good news is that he has almost 3 more years as CBJ head to coach to figure it all out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
A good power play requires good, quick, accurate passing and the ability to shoot quickly. Having a good net front presence is a big, big help.

The Jackets by and large are a shitty passing team. Except for Bread there isn't a consistently good one timer. Net front presence is sporadic. To me it is not a mystery why the pp sucks.

Reactions: BluejacketNut

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I just read the Dispatch write up and the theme seems to be the Jackets took the Red Wings too lightly at first. I know it's not easy to come up with different reasons why a team loses a game, but it's simply inconceivable to me that the players on a team who are as staggeringly unaccomplished as the Blue Jackets can take any team lightly.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You are so cynical and being totally unfair to Torts. Porty said it lasted 57 seconds. :cool:
Who is Torts really fooling ? If he was so upset, he would change things. The only thing Ive seen really changed, is him taking one of the best defensive coaches in the NHL, and moving them to coach his forwards. And Larsen, whom everything he touches turns to poo, still handles the powerplay that was brutal last year, and now is running our defense, which has turned to poo. We feature powerplays , taking Bread off his natural shooting side, and putting him at the right point, so Duclair can play the Left side . Coaching has been stellar thus far.:thumbd:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Fault goes straight to the FO. Why in the name of Gordie Howe did Jarmo give Larsen a new contract? And why in the name o f Henrik Zetterberg did Jarmo give that $5million dollar multi year deal to guy who will score less than 1o goals even though he plays every game and gets power play opportunities? To me Jarmo is increasingly the problem.

We can withstand the loss of Panarin if we move decisively. Get Stone or Skinner in free agency. While they are not quite at Bread's level they are very good. Then dump Wennberg and sign Duchene. Duchene would provide AT LEAST 20 more goals than Wennberg. Dcuehne would bea biggger upgrade over Pooh than a Stone would be a downgrade from Panarin. We could still have a strong offensive. Btu Jarmo is wedded to his little pet Pooh.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Fault goes straight to the FO. Why in the name of Gordie Howe did Jarmo give Larsen a new contract? And why in the name o f Henrik Zetterberg did Jarmo give that $5million dollar multi year deal to guy who will score less than 1o goals even though he plays every game and gets power play opportunities? To me Jarmo is increasingly the problem.

We can withstand the loss of Panarin if we move decisively. Get Stone or Skinner in free agency. While they are not quite at Bread's level they are very good. Then dump Wennberg and sign Duchene. Duchene would provide AT LEAST 20 more goals than Wennberg. Dcuehne would bea biggger upgrade over Pooh than a Stone would be a downgrade from Panarin. We could still have a strong offensive. Btu Jarmo is wedded to his little pet Pooh.
I mean how does he watch the games , and see his second line center with 0 goals , 5 assist in 11 games , with a whopping 10 shots on goal , and be happy with that . That’s invisible ... most of his points come from a simple relay pass to the person creating the play , but it looks lucky if he gets to the 40 point mark this year .

Reactions: Palm Tree

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Not going to happen, but The Pooh can be bought out at a bargain rate.

Alexander Wennberg Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Since he's under 25, the buyout cost is 1/3rd the value compared to the normal 2/3rds.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I mean how does he watch the games , and see his second line center with 0 goals , 5 assist in 11 games , with a whopping 10 shots on goal , and be happy with that . That’s invisible ... most of his points come from a simple relay pass to the person creating the play , but it looks lucky if he gets to the 40 point mark this year .

Actually to be fair most of his points this year were him setting up goals directly, the shooter didn't have to move.

You might wonder if he's really that bad if you are constantly making things up about him. Genuinely awful players don't need that kind of help.

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Torts said on @971CandR, he's failing with Wennberg. He can't make him play the right way. Again zero PP/PK questions.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It doesn't seem like there's many other options besides a trade at this point. I hope they want him in Ottawa!

Well, back to the fire Torts thread there is another option. Before we trade him for a bag of pucks, which at this point is about all he'd bring, I'd prefer a coaching change.If not Torts at least a better offense coach who could reach Wennberg.

Reactions: GoJackets1

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think Wennberg would get a lot more than a bag of pucks.
Totally agree. He does have skill, is young, plays the coveted center position and has a contract that’s fair if he plays at the level that first got him the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad