GDT: Game 10 | Buffalo @ Ottawa | Feb 5th, 7:30PM | Whar GDT Whar?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
i find zibby looks better on the center personally. also did anyone else notice his shifts are not long at all? and its not because of quick line changes. hes almost ALWAYS the first one off. thats pretty weird... youd think hed wanna play the most possible. there was a time where turris and alfie stayed like an extra minute more and obrien played with them instead cuz zibby came off so early.
He's done it as long as he's been a Sens prospect at the very least. I remember making the same assessment last season in his 9 game stint AND during the WJC that he takes the short shift mantra to the extreme.

Dunno if it's a conditioning issue (I remember a report a while ago about how his coaches were trying to get him to breath more when he's on the ice) or if he's just taking the coaching to it's logical extreme.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That is really it though. I can guarantee that if Regin had not gotten any points everyone would be talking about how badly he had played. He played a great game, just like he has the last 4-5, but just because he hadn't scored points previously people jump on him, even though his game hasn't changed from the last 5 games.

If he puts up points that is great, as he should put up 30 in an 82 game season and hasn't up until this point been fulfilling that aspect, but he has been playing well.

Exactly.

Lol, others are just trying to find someone to throw under the bus. Greening and Smith have been more more underwhelming than Regin.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Exactly.

Lol, others are just trying to find someone to throw under the bus. Greening and Smith have been more more underwhelming than Regin.

Actually thought Smith looked great that game. IMO.

But I've said it all along, Regin has looked alright. But his downfall has been he really really hesitates when he's on the offense. He hesitates when taking big shots, and making offensive moves. Defensively he's been great. He was better offensively the last game.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Smith was really good last night. One play he had a great shot opportunity and tried to slide it over to Weircoch and it was a bad pass.

Other than that he played with alot of confidence. Handled the puck quite abit. Made a few moves in his own end...

As mentioned above. Greening has been dissapointing...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Zibanejad has, so far, really elevated his play in the NHL. I don't think we're looking at a guy that will ever be a PPG player, but he can be an elite 2nd line winger IMO.

Also his skillset was always better suited to the wing than at centre.

What I've seen from Zibanejad so far this season reminds me a lot of Fisher. Just the way he drives to the net with utter ferocity but never hits it with his shot.

Looks good though, kid has all the tools!

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Regin is an utter disappointment to so many because he was touted as a very very skilled player who can slot into the top 6 no problem. High expectations demand high results.

Greening is what he is. A very big hockey player physically but he doesn't play that way. You can't really say hes underwhelming because he played with Spezza and his point point total in particular his goals were in large part due to Spezza. He's exactly where I expected him to be.

Smith however I can agree has been pretty underwhelming. He was a very effective player last year given his role. He just needs to eliminate his penalty minutes.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Smith is probably the most inconsistent guy on the team and makes the most dumb mistakes. Always, since he's been here. Which is why wincester for ex. was better in the playoffs and used more. He does show flashes of more offensive potential though. Would be nice to see more than just flashes

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
There are quite a few players in the league that have looked rusty due to the lockout. Now take a look at Regin's case. Along with his 4 games in SC Langenthal, the guy only played 10 games last season and 55 the year before that.

I'm not saying he's going to be an offensive dynamo in 30+ games.
I just don't think this version of Regin is the final product. Its been only 10 games, give him more time.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would love to see the production of all 3rd line Centers in the league and I would wager that Smith is up there as one of the better ones. The guy chirps, he hits, he fights, he can stickhandle better than 50% of players in the league (if you dont beleive me just watch how Greening or Neil hold onto the puck, or god forbid Phillips has to handle the puck)

The guy is in his 2nd full year of the big's cut him some slack. He will eventually find his niche as a 35-40pt player who adds grit to your team and can shut down opposing teams lines if we provide him with good linemates.

The one thing that ppl dont understand is last year when Smith was getting all his goals he was a) insulated by Spezz and the other big guns who were scoring b) he had Condra on his line which adds quite a bit of hockeysense on that line.

Stick Condra with Smith and Silfy and I gaurantee you that line will do wonders.

Not really... I give 1-2 more years until Zack Smith join the long scapegoats list. Maybe even earlier if people have no one else to blame.

I agree he is decent at stickhandling, while still not better than half the players in the league, but that is some pretty terrible reasoning. Half the bantam players in Ontario are better stickhandlers than Phillips and Greening.

Well, that reasoning isn't a lot better :)

Guys like Phillips and Greening would totally **** anyone's beer leagues. I played against Burrows when he was a 4th liner and he was dominating by far without even trying, even if Burrows doesn't look like a great stickhandler in the NHL. People are vastly underestimating the "time and space" factor in the NHL.

Zibanejad still has to prove he can score goals, but there's not much else missing. I think the talk of a lack of hockey sense was vastly exaggerated. He has shown great anticipation. Kid has great wheels too.

I like him more on the wing than I thought I would.

You missed the memo? It's because he didn't put PPG stats in the SEL at 8 y/o...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad