GDT: Game 10 | Buffalo @ Ottawa | Feb 5th, 7:30PM | Whar GDT Whar?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wonder if it's the team's gameplan to ease up the forecheck when defending or a lead or if it's just a young team playing it safe and frustrating the coaching staff.

End of the game when things are going well in a shortened season

If I was the coach I'd tell my team to dump the puck a little more and keep the shifts as short as possible

It almost backfired but one of the reasons was that Methot had a pretty rough game (not bad mind you, but not very good either)

Silvercup Returns

King Karlsson
Jul 28, 2005
Ottawa
Whoa.

Hold the phone guys -- Regin played 1 good game to make up for all the bad games he's had! Who needs Spezza when Regin can get us all dem points?

Hold%20The%20Phone.jpg

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Whoa.

Hold the phone guys -- Regin played 1 good game to make up for all the bad games he's had! Who needs Spezza when Regin can get us all dem points?

That is really it though. I can guarantee that if Regin had not gotten any points everyone would be talking about how badly he had played. He played a great game, just like he has the last 4-5, but just because he hadn't scored points previously people jump on him, even though his game hasn't changed from the last 5 games.

If he puts up points that is great, as he should put up 30 in an 82 game season and hasn't up until this point been fulfilling that aspect, but he has been playing well.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That is really it though. I can guarantee that if Regin had not gotten any point everyone would be talking about how badly he had play. He played a great game, just like he has the last 4-5, but just because he hadn't scored points previously people jump on him, even though his game hasn't changed from the last 5 games If he puts up points that is great, as he should put up 30 in an 82 game season and hasn't up until this point been fulfilling that aspect, but he has been playing well

I'm not sure we were watching the same game. He made a few good plays but he also caused a goal against because he crashed himself face first into the boards. He misses defensive coverages at times, he's VERY weak on the puck and he doesn't bring enough offence to the team in order to justify having him around. His faceoffs are not great either.

The reason he gets highlighted is because people pump his tires and think he can be a permanent addition to this team whereas I don't think that he really has the skillset needed to stay with us after his contract runs out. Maybe he'll prove me wrong though.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
C'mon boys our offence is fine. Chris Phillips has three goals this year. Puts him on pace for twelve this year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Zack Smith on that play that led to the extended scramble :shakehead

First, he lets the puck go by in the corner, not knowing that Buffalo held the boards further up, then doesn't hustle to cover anyone, and spends the rest of the shift basically skating around the zone aimlessly.

If that goal had been scored without Benoit et al.'s heroics in keeping it out, it would have all been on him.

A little less time yapping, a little more time on the fundamentals of hockey, Mr. Smith.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Zack Smith on that play that led to the extended scramble :shakehead

First, he lets the puck go by in the corner, not knowing that Buffalo held the boards further up, then doesn't hustle to cover anyone, and spends the rest of the shift basically skating around the zone aimlessly.

If that goal had been scored without Benoit et al.'s heroics in keeping it out, it would have all been on him.

A little less time yapping, a little more time on the fundamentals of hockey, Mr. Smith.

In that overhead view of the Benoit save, watch what #15 does in the crease. Pure panic move, and pure comedy. It looks like a pool party with Zack jumping in.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I would love to see the production of all 3rd line Centers in the league and I would wager that Smith is up there as one of the better ones. The guy chirps, he hits, he fights, he can stickhandle better than 50% of players in the league (if you dont beleive me just watch how Greening or Neil hold onto the puck, or god forbid Phillips has to handle the puck)

The guy is in his 2nd full year of the big's cut him some slack. He will eventually find his niche as a 35-40pt player who adds grit to your team and can shut down opposing teams lines if we provide him with good linemates.

The one thing that ppl dont understand is last year when Smith was getting all his goals he was a) insulated by Spezz and the other big guns who were scoring b) he had Condra on his line which adds quite a bit of hockeysense on that line.

Stick Condra with Smith and Silfy and I gaurantee you that line will do wonders.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I would love to see the production of all 3rd line Centers in the league and I would wager that Smith is up there as one of the better ones. The guy chirps, he hits, he fights, he can stickhandle better than 50% of players in the league (if you dont beleive me just watch how Greening or Neil hold onto the puck, or god forbid Phillips has to handle the puck)

The guy is in his 2nd full year of the big's cut him some slack. He will eventually find his niche as a 35-40pt player who adds grit to your team and can shut down opposing teams lines if we provide him with good linemates.

The one thing that ppl dont understand is last year when Smith was getting all his goals he was a) insulated by Spezz and the other big guns who were scoring b) he had Condra on his line which adds quite a bit of hockeysense on that line.

Stick Condra with Smith and Silfy and I gaurantee you that line will do wonders.

I agree he is decent at stickhandling, while still not better than half the players in the league, but that is some pretty terrible reasoning. Half the bantam players in Ontario are better stickhandlers than Phillips and Greening.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I agree he is decent at stickhandling, while still not better than half the players in the league, but that is some pretty terrible reasoning. Half the bantam players in Ontario are better stickhandlers than Phillips and Greening.

But he isn't on the team for his stickhandling abilities solely. I'm saying these are his strong points and they make up for some of his gaffs. No player is perfect but Smith is an ideal 3C IMO.

Again I would love to see the stats on the 3C on all teams in the league right now. Legitimate 3C tho, not someone like Bolland who is playing 2nd line minutes but is SUITED to be a 3rd liner

jules6565

Sep 2, 2007
Montreal
Team played well last night. Wouldn't change the lineup. They might have a chance vs a team they've been struggling against, at home, friday.

SelleckStache

Mar 12, 2007
Ottawa
We're still rebuilding, right? We have such a young lineup.
Even if the wins don't keep coming, as long as the effort is there, I'm still a happy fan.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Latendresse, Gonchar, and Lundin all practiced today, only players not on the ice were Alfie and Karlsson.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
First game of the season Vanek was held pointless.

in the same game andy lets in more than 2 for the first time and andy lets in 2nd/3rd period goals for the first time.

this whole MVP race is starting to slow down.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I like the way Silfverberg and Zbad are trending upwards. It just seems like the game is slowing down for these two and they are having more time to make plays. I note especially with Silfverberg who seems to have picked up his speed and decision making. Zbad for whatever reason reminds me in his style of a young Jagr, from his posture and stride to his frame. I am liking these two quite a bit and they are improving with every game.

I am concerned about Greening who looks lost. Zack did not have a great game defensively...I am hoping he picks his game up a bit as he may be on the 4th line soon.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Smith was trying to do more than he usually does and did ok at it.

It's an experiment I would not mind seeing extended for a bit longer.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Zibanejad still has to prove he can score goals, but there's not much else missing. I think the talk of a lack of hockey sense was vastly exaggerated. He has shown great anticipation. Kid has great wheels too.

I like him more on the wing than I thought I would.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think there's anything wrong with singling out good and bad performances.

Obviously you have to look at a larger sample size, but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging if a guy did well or struggled.

I don't think Regin had great games previously, I think he was defensively responsible, but a lot of that was due to caution, and playing safe, which didn't really lead to any positive play down low or many offensive opportunities. He was also quick to get rid of the puck.

In this last game, he was much more involved in the play and it showed IMO.

Was that Buffalo's soft D, or him shaking off some of that rust/getting motivated? I guess we'll see.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Zibanejad still has to prove he can score goals, but there's not much else missing. I think the talk of a lack of hockey sense was vastly exaggerated. He has shown great anticipation. Kid has great wheels too.

I like him more on the wing than I thought I would.

Zibanejad has, so far, really elevated his play in the NHL. I don't think we're looking at a guy that will ever be a PPG player, but he can be an elite 2nd line winger IMO.

Also his skillset was always better suited to the wing than at centre.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
i find zibby looks better on the center personally. also did anyone else notice his shifts are not long at all? and its not because of quick line changes. hes almost ALWAYS the first one off. thats pretty weird... youd think hed wanna play the most possible. there was a time where turris and alfie stayed like an extra minute more and obrien played with them instead cuz zibby came off so early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad