GDT: Game #1 | Winnipeg Jets @ St. Louis Blues | Chapter: 1 "Opening the Book on a new season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Can't blame Jake on all those goals.

1st goal was deflected by his own defenseman 10 feet from the goal, no way to react.
2nd goal was on a breakaway.
3rd goal was essentially a 2 on 0.
4th goal was deflected in the slot, no way to react.
5th goal was the only weak one. The puck was shot on the backhand from a sharpish angle towards literally the middle of the net and Allen somehow made it look like a tough save to make. He slid way too far out of net. He needs to be square to that shot.

I guess you could argue he's gotta stop that 2nd goal so we don't go down by 2 in the 3rd, but still, a breakaway goal can't be put entirely on the goalie, a defensive mistake or two has to happen for a breakaway to happen.

Reactions: Bendak and byrath

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So he's pretty much as accurate as all the fans who are blaming this loss on him? Bronx cheers at the first game? Way to be classy Blues fans.

1st goal was deflected by his own defenseman 10 feet from the goal, no way to react.
5th goal was the only weak one. The puck was shot on the backhand from a sharpish angle towards literally the middle of the net and Allen somehow made it look like a tough save to make. He slid way too far out of net. He needs to be square to that shot.

I guess you could argue he's gotta stop that 2nd goal so we don't go down by 2 in the 3rd, but still, a breakaway goal can't be put entirely on the goalie, a defensive mistake or two has to happen for a breakaway to happen.

Exactly. I think the the results on the Jet's first 3 goals would have been the same if we had one of Husso, Johnson, Hutton, etc. in net too.

Reactions: Bendak

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Update: Took the forums advice and got the frisco melt

Mind blown

Why have I been subjecting myself all these years to the mundane double steakburgers by comparison?

What other areas in my life have I been screwing up all these years?

Good night my beautiful fellow blues fans!

Only 81 more to go!
YOU'VE NEVER HAD A FRISCO MELT!!!!!???????'

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
A Frisco Melt, large onion rings, and large chocolate milkshake was my favorite Steak and Shake meal for ages.

I once drove 180 miles round trip on a whim because I was craving that particular meal.

Then one day I looked up the nutrition information, and that was the end of that.

Moral of the story: If you care about your health at all and liked the meal, don't look up the nutrition information.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Steen really botched it on that 2nd Winnipeg goal. Didn't bury his chance and then made a terrible pass to Pietrangelo which he had to dive for, eventually leading to the breakaway goal.

That play was such an egregious breakdown on almost every level. Steen makes a terrible pass to nobody. Petro makes an ill-advised desperation dive for it. Perron doesn't rush back enough to cover. Then you've got a breakaway where Allen takes the shot from smack in the middle of the crease rather than coming out to challenge the shooter at all. Just an ugly play on all counts.

Honestly it's easy to poke at Allen, Steen, and Perron, but I think Petro was as much to blame as anybody. On the one hand we wonder why Perron doesn't rush to cover for him, but on the other hand if Petro actually connects with the puck and Perron is moving back to the blue line, there would have been nobody there to receive the puck from Petro's swipe. The puck stays in the zone but there is no guarantee the Blues maintain possession at that point anyway. As the last man back, the play there was to stay on your feet and maintain control of the puck even if it means retreating to the neutral zone. Steen has to make a better pass, but Petro has to make a smarter call there.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The sooner Jake goes the better, then this board can blame....(fill in name)...because, well, gotta pick on someone.

Bendak

Jedi Use Hacks
Apr 5, 2013
St. Louis
YOU'VE NEVER HAD A FRISCO MELT!!!!!???????'

A Frisco Melt, large onion rings, and large chocolate milkshake was my favorite Steak and Shake meal for ages.

I once drove 180 miles round trip on a whim because I was craving that particular meal.

Then one day I looked up the nutrition information, and that was the end of that.

Moral of the story: If you care about your health at all and liked the meal, don't look up the nutrition information.

Yep last night was my first lmao

Easton, that just means I will have to add more exercise to compensate now

A life without the greasy goodness of the heavenly Frisco melt is a life not worth living my friend :thumbu:

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
I was at the game tonight and while there is a lot of overreaction both here and walking out of the building tonight, I don't think it is time to start judging quite yet. One thing I hate is seeing a game like tonight and then completely shaking lines and players up for the next game. I think keep everything the same and get some gel working in the coming 1-2 more games before anything else. Here are my takeaways

1. Jbow looked awful and out of place playing with Petro on the top line.
2. PP unit of 21 / 90 / 7 / 29 / 91 is very solid
3. Hope its first game jitters but Thomas looked like he gave up on a couple plays even though I liked the 4th line. I think we are going to create mismatches by having talent running through the 4 lines
4. I don't see the Maroon issue...I thought he played okay.
5. Perron looked very good tonight. Good to see him back
6. I hate the Bronx cheer on Allen. He kept us in the game even though the first goal was a fluke. Sure, the wheels fell off in the 3rd but the team looked like it was standing there watching in disbelief as the Jets were scoring goals. The shorthanded goal broke the game open and you could see the deflation after that. There was too much a sense of urgency and it crumbled the team.
7. They looked very much out of sync. Passing was off, people were skating close together, players were falling frequently and they didn't look like a team

I really like this team and think they are going to put it together in the coming weeks and we will see them become a playoff team again

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Honestly Yeo is at the top of my list of concerns. I don’t have much faith he’s the right coach for this group.
I can't say that I'm really concerned about them. The roster is 50% new, has injuries, and it was game one against a team who could have very well hoisted the cup last season. I just don't want to start the whole "Jake Allen is the problem" mentality this early in the season. Fact: We will not win games scoring only one goal. You may be right about Yeo. Last night was very reminiscent of last season. There were a ton of SOG where we look good on paper if you look at the stat sheet after getting home without watching the game. However, if you actually watched the game, you tell yourself that there weren't a lot of dangerous chances after they were deflated early. Special teams is still a big concern to me. Whoever is running special teams needs to go.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Pretty spot on analysis of Allen here. I didn’t care for the way Allen played the second goal, but I’ve always felt that way about that particular style of save attempt. It just makes no sense to me to go down on one knee and leave a five hole the size of a semi. It’s like “SHOOT HERE” is taped to him.

Regardless that goal is 100% on Steen for his bone headed pass. I’m not blaming goalies for breakaways unless it’s a particular egregious goal. And that one wasn’t.

Allen was definitely not the problem last night. I’m a pretty vocal critic and even I thought the Bronx cheer was in very poor taste. The skaters crapped the bed, not the goalie. Leave the poor guy alone.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
That was a bleh performance all around, bottom line is Winnipeg is a legit cup contender and played bigger and faster than us all game.

Offense didn't muster many strong chances in the first two periods, a lot of shots 10 feet wide of the net. Allen was on his game the first two periods, but I am a little concerned about his ability to stop the bleeding. Thomas/Kyrou need power play opportunities, we got to have our best 10 guys out there.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I think that is exactly it. I don't want to draw too much from one game but I have long sense been critical of Mike Yeo's PP strategies. Working the puck back to the point isn't a terrible plan but first you need to work the puck down low with lots of support to shrink the PKs box and open up more ice to work with. Yeo doesn't have us do that. He seems to have a few set plays and beyond that our strategy seems to be work the puck on the perimeter until hopefully a shooting lane opens.

the last PP of the night right before Dunn scored was the by far the best we have seen in a while (IMO) they had the box shrunk very small and where firing shots from very close in the potential is there.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Good morning!

My suggestion is to go back to bed.

Season starts Saturday.
Work did make me forget Blues misery.

But, now I need to forget work misery.

1RX3.gif

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
Luckily the organization isnt freaking out right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181005-075213_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20181005-075213_Facebook.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
We need a thirteenth forward so if it's Thorburn then whatever. He's just as good at sitting in the pressbox as anyone else. Hopefully that's all it is.

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010

I'm a goalie and a goalie sympathizer. Aside from the fifth goal you can't blame Jake for the first four. That said, when you look at all of the goals as a whole, he needs to stop some of those. Call it a macro view, I guess. Sometimes you have to make a big save when the team breaks down in front of you.

That said, the Bronx cheer was bullshit.

All things considered, I think we all see the talent on this team, but with so many new faces in the forward group, I think expectations were probably too high going into the season. I think they'll need the first 10 games or so to start to gel, and I have zero doubt they will.

Reactions: Balloon and Bendak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad