GDT: Game 1 WCQF LAK @ VGK 7:00PM 4.11.2018 it's happening!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Whew, that was a nail biter. The last five minutes we were playing not to lose, luckily it went in our favor though. Have to give it up for Fleury, he was on his game, as was Quick. We'll have to get in his head this series.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Last night convinced me that I need to go see a game in Vegas. What an electric crowd. That intro got me fired up big time.

Really? I thought the intro was embarrassing. Reminded me of the classic Senators playoff intro with the Spartan from a couple years back that they are still taking flack for.

This one was done marginally better I must admit haha.

Reactions: jorbjorb

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I’m done worrying about how stupid the sword and stone thing is, and last night’s version of the same thing too.

It gets the places hyped up, and that’s all that matters to me.

I will say that the production didn’t really build to a crescendo the way the regular season one does. I miss the video and music after the Golden Knight thing. However, the John Wick suspense buildup while the helmet came down was also cool, even from my spot in 205 where we couldn’t tell WTF was happening.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Also, I’ve yet to watch the game on TV, but in the arena it never felt like the Kings were in control. The consensus in my area was that the Knights dominated, despite the score.

E: why does my iPhone want to autocorrect Kings to Kong’s?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Also, I’ve yet to watch the game on TV, but in the arena it never felt like the Kings were in control. The consensus in my area was that the Knights dominated, despite the score.

:laugh: Kongs.

I think the Kongs had a good first period. The majority of the first was played in the Knights end. We went a couple of long spells without a SOG. We picked it up toward the end of the period, but I thought overall they carried they play most of the period.

The 2nd & 3rd were a way different story. We had them on their heels. I was expecting their patented mad push to the finish like they had in their Cup runs, but I never saw anything close to that. They had some good chances on their PPs, but nothing too scary besides that in either the 2nd or 3rd.

The Knights really clamped down defensively after the 1st intermission & controlled the pace.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

I felt like the Dirty Kings had VGK on their heels for about the first 5 minutes of the 3rd, but the Knights were in pretty solid control of the rest of the game.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It really is crazy how different the game feels in the arena versus on TV.

That game was completely controlled by the Knights in the arena, with a slight amount of nervousness when they were about to pull and couldn’t.

The game never felt in question. The Knights were making the the passes, making the extra effort that wasn’t there late in the season, and not making the mistakes they’ve made before.

It felt clean, it felt confident, it felt well in hand the entire time.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

That game was completely controlled by the Knights in the arena, with a slight amount of nervousness when they were about to pull and couldn’t.

The game never felt in question. The Knights were making the the passes, making the extra effort that wasn’t there late in the season, and not making the mistakes they’ve made before.

I was at the game too and it indeed felt like the Knights were the better team for most of the game and there was a sense the Kings just weren't allowed to get things going and were not very threatening.

But I don't know if I ever felt like the game was well in hand. One shot could have changed it all in a second.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I was at the game too and it indeed felt like the Knights were the better team for most of the game and there was a sense the Kings just weren't allowed to get things going and were not very threatening.

But I don't know if I ever felt like the game was well in hand. One shot could have changed it all in a second.
It was a one goal game, so there was always the chance, but having seen the vast majority of the Knights home games and feeling what those games felt like compared to this one, it was going to take some stupendous effort and a little luck for the Kings to come back, IMO.

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
It's good to win the 1st game of the series. The Kings' leaders are not young, to put it mildly, and with every game they'll be getting more and more tired. Remember that there are no 2-days intervals between games. There's a new game every second night.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
The bottom six won the game for the Knights. They were my x-factor coming into this series considering Vegas can run lines while LA lacks depth.

Nosek, Carrier, Eakin, etc. all did their job perfectly and dominated the King’s bottom 6 in puck possession. If this series goes 6 or 7, that will be the reason Vegas wins out.

McNabb was also a physical force on the back end. Laid out 2-3 Kings in epic fashion.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I was at the game also. Like I said, other than the majority of the first period, I thought we were clearly the better team. With that said, I didn't think they had great scoring chances.

I was very impressed with how physical we were. Miller, Carrier, & even Marchy were all finishing their checks. Was a great team effort. :thumbu:

Last edited:

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Being a Kings fan, as well as the Knights, I can be a truly objective party to both teams. Both played very well, especially Vegas in shutting down the Kings in stretches at the end. Quick, however, was the Playoff Quick that I've come to know. Vegas will have a tough time beating him.

Taking a look over at the Kings HF board, you'd think VGK were a bunch of criminals, who mugged L.A. all night long, then hid behind the refs. Even when Carrier got nailed (and concussed), it was because he was doing the same to Doughty, and he got what he deserved. :rolleyes: I don't share in that optimism. I think it was just a "bad timing" type of hit that may, or may not, get DD a fine or suspension. Hopefully, Carrier isn't too badly hurt, and can get back in the series soon.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Knish were you in 225 tonight? We won Section of the game! Everyone got one free beer at Beerhaus after the game. Add that to free Donuts tomorrow & I'm living the high life!

225 also won beer/beverage @ MGM Grand during fan appreciation game (expired in one week).

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Being a Kings fan, as well as the Knights, I can be a truly objective party to both teams. Both played very well, especially Vegas in shutting down the Kings in stretches at the end. Quick, however, was the Playoff Quick that I've come to know. Vegas will have a tough time beating him.

Taking a look over at the Kings HF board, you'd think VGK were a bunch of criminals, who mugged L.A. all night long, then hid behind the refs. Even when Carrier got nailed (and concussed), it was because he was doing the same to Doughty, and he got what he deserved. :rolleyes: I don't share in that optimism. I think it was just a "bad timing" type of hit that may, or may not, get DD a fine or suspension. Hopefully, Carrier isn't too badly hurt, and can get back in the series soon.

Your post is very level headed, but I can't agree with the bolded part. That was clearly a cheap shot. He targeted his head & deserves a suspension.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Your post is very level headed, but I can't agree with the bolded part. That was clearly a cheap shot. He targeted his head & deserves a suspension.

Oh, I hear ya. Like I said, I'm not choosing sides. He could have very well targeted the head. I've just been watching hockey for so long, and saw hits like this that weren't called or pointed out, that I just give up trying to figure out what's illegal, and what's not.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

This is how California fanbases react when their teams are muscled the way they are accustomed to muscling everyone else. It ain't fair!

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Oh, I hear ya. Like I said, I'm not choosing sides. He could have very well targeted the head. I've just been watching hockey for so long, and saw hits like this that weren't called or pointed out, that I just give up trying to figure out what's illegal, and what's not.

Back in the 80s & 90s, thats a "hockey play" (unless it was on Lemieux or Gretzky) & everyone moves on to the next game. Since they've been "trying" to eliminate head shots, hits like that are reviewed, rightly so.

Regardless of what the hearing outcome is, I don't expect the tone of this series to change at all. It's going to be tight checking & great goaltending. The team with the less mistakes is going to win.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It was actually only for Beerhaus & expired in 24 hours. My GF & I redeemed ours after the game. Although I wish we just went home. The only people hanging around were blind drunk. Not much fun at that point.
He is talking about a different prize that was given during fan appreciation week.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Back in the 80s & 90s, thats a "hockey play" (unless it was on Lemieux or Gretzky) & everyone moves on to the next game. Since they've been "trying" to eliminate head shots, hits like that are reviewed, rightly so.

Regardless of what the hearing outcome is, I don't expect the tone of this series to change at all. It's going to be tight checking & great goaltending. The team with the less mistakes is going to win.

I just hope GG doesn't unleash Reaves now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad