GDT: Game 1: Minnesota Wild @ Colorado Avalanche | 8:00pm CST/4am Suomi | FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hopefully this is the kick in the teeth the Wild need to show them the preseason is over, and it's time for real hockey to start.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Wow. I didn't get to see much of the game, but I saw you guys ragging on the 3rd line. Justifiably so.

Russo wrote about their stats of shots they were on the ice for last night.

Coyle: 16 shot attempts against, 2 for
Greenway: 14 shot attempts against, 1 for
Ek: 17 shot attempts against, 2 for

Woof.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Wow. I didn't get to see much of the game, but I saw you guys ragging on the 3rd line. Justifiably so.

Woof.
Yikes.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
That was brutal...what a boring game. Reminded me of the playoffs. Is anyone ever going to step up and take charge in close games like this?

I went through the entire lineup and tried to pick out anything that looked good but couldn't find anything. Dubnyk played fine, probably even good for the amount of volume he was facing. I mean, come on - we had something like 11 shots through 45 minutes of the game or something like that.

Hoping this is just an opening game display and not something we'll see for a while. Not going to make any sweeping generalizations after one game but the 3rd line...geez. And we already had to shuffle lines in the first dang game.

Oh well. We'll see what happens.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I've been saying it for years, trade Coyle while he still has value. GMs are going to catch on soon.

Also - Trying not to judge JEE too quickly, but damn it's hard when hometown boy Boeser is lighting up the lamp in Vancouver.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i hope the reason we were so badly outplayed was the altitude. man being outshot 30-13 after 2 per was brutal. im shocked we were still in the game. dumba missing an open net , staal had a good chance that just missed. nothing on our last 2 or 3 PP,that was terrible. zadorov was killing nino. dubnyk played well except that first goal was weak. check please.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Woof.

didn't see the whole game either but I tuned in to see these guys dominating a shift, hemming the Avs in. Then JEE stayed out a little too long, they got the puck to MacKinnon for a (harmless) shot. On another Greenway made a nice rush but lost the puck to three guys, puck went the other way. I'd still say that line has promise, but little cohesion last night. Seeler-Pateryn also looked decent. Other than that, the same issues we saw night after night after night: little creativity, poor shot selection (Dumba is the worst at this), and almost zero spark. We'll see.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
That game was depressing to watch. Wild looked old and slow - completely unable to compete with Colorado's speed.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
That game was depressing to watch. Wild looked old and slow - completely unable to compete with Colorado's speed.

My thoughts exactly. Feels like they haven't found a gear past 3rd at this point. Dubnyk didn't look too bad. The first goal he was screened pretty well. Only let in 2 on 38 shots.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Woof.
Means next to nothing

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Colorado looked like the team from a couple of years ago. Very fast.

Wild couldn't move the puck up the ice. Guy would receive a pass. He would probably be stationary. So he would pass it right back to the Dman, or maybe he would get it to the center, who was immediately chased down by a back-checker. Center would have to pass it quickly to a winger. Who also had no speed because the blueline was coming up. Winger would then be cornered and have to chip the puck into the near corner. Farside winger was about 3 strides too slow to put adequate pressure on the puck. A simple D-to-D pass by Colorado and the puck was out of the zone. Wild then either went for a change or had to stop-and-start and head back to the neutral zone. Colorado would just breeze passed center ice and the Wild would be forced to take up defensive positions back in the D zone.

Repeat all game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, I liked Koivu?

Too early to say much else. I'm not going to criticize Ek and Greenway too much. If we are relying on them to win games for us as opposed to Nino, Coyle, Zucker, and Granlund, then there is something flawed in the makeup of this team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Also, Suter looked like a guy coming off a major ankle injury. Big conclusion from one game, but I would raise that maybe he should be getting limited minutes for a while to help with his recovery. Team needs to be very careful with him. He is the exact type of player who will say "I'm 100%", ignoring the pain, and then find out 30 games into the season that he's suffering from a significant set-back because he pressed the comeback too far, too fast..

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Also, Suter looked like a guy coming off a major ankle injury. Big conclusion from one game, but I would raise that maybe he should be getting limited minutes for a while to help with his recovery. Team needs to be very careful with him. He is the exact type of player who will say "I'm 100%", ignoring the pain, and then find out 30 games into the season that he's suffering from a significant set-back because he pressed the comeback too far, too fast..
:thumbu:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Suter not close to 100%, 3rd struggled, 1st didn't impress, Avs dominated. Tough to tell yet, and 81 games still left. It'll be a long season. One way or another.

Parise-Koivu looked nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad