Pre-Game Talk: Game #1 Habs vs Knights, Monday June 14th 9pm

Who will take round 3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
It's been amazing to me throughout this year how completely the divisional format of the league has broken people's brains. We're still talking about individual and team stats and awards like they mean something outside of the bubbles within which they were played. Individual awards are going to players who "earned" them playing against a handful of teams. Las Vegas is going into this series as a massive favourite based on limited and flawed data, filtered through a set of analysts who have consistently gotten things wrong.

Yes, Vegas deserve to be the favourites here. You won't find one rational person who would disagree with that. The degree to which they are the favourites and the Habs are expected to be crushed is absurd based on the limited information we have. I won't be surprised if they do crush the Habs, but I also won't be surprised if the Habs do very well--unlike the rest of the league, who seem to never learn from underestimating teams that don't have a particular sort of hype machine behind them.

I don’t look at Vegas’ roster and think “Wow, they’re stacked”. Their center line is ok and they have Stone and Pacioretty to score. I don’t see the mismatch.

They have Theodore and Pietrangelo in the backend that represent PMD we don’t have.

Then its Fleury.

Am I supposed to believe that this team is unbeatable?

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec

Nick Suzuki on Pacioretty

BF2E58B1-1C2C-47B7-AD22-967565D47773.gif

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Called Habs in 7 against TO
Called Habs in 6 against Jets.
Calling Habs in 6 against Vegas.
Suzuki comes back to haunt them.
Caufield is huge in this series.
MAF is replaced at some point in the series.
CP goes into God mode once again.
Perry is Perry.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Can we not be blown out game 1. Still have flashbacks of being excited for semis in 2010/2014 and proceed to see 6-0 and 7-2 losses.

In 2010 and 2014, the habs were coming off of emotional 7 games series, so I assume they didn't have alot of resting time. I actually remember they played game 1 in 2014 in the afternoon as well.

Let's just hope hope price plays extremely well and doesn't get knocked out of the lineup this time.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I don’t look at Vegas’ roster and think “Wow, they’re stacked”. Their center line is ok and they have Stone and Pacioretty to score. I don’t see the mismatch.

They have Theodore and Pietrangelo in the backend that represent PMD we don’t have.

Then its Fleury.

It's all hype.

We can beat them.

Reactions: Picaroon

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Then its Fleury.

Petry is a much better skater than either Theodore or Pietrangelo. If Petry can't go, that's a huge hole on our defence that will be hard to fill. An already overall slow defence loses its most dynamic skater.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
So far in these NHL playoffs...

Teams winning game one have won 8 of 12 series (was 19 of 23 in last summer's playoffs).

Teams with 'home ice advantage' have won 3 of the 12 series.

Will like the Habs chances of making it a good series if they can win game one.

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Will be interesting to see who sits when they come back.

I assume Merrill will take Romanov's spot and then get scratched when Petry comes back (unless Gustafsson sits?).

For Evans, I have no idea as I don't see the 4th line changing and Byron has scored a big goal. Maybe Anderson?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry is a much better skater than either Theodore or Pietrangelo. If Petry can't go, that's a huge hole on our defence that will be hard to fill. An already overall slow defence loses its most dynamic skater.

I'm not sure cause we are playing a different structure where we don't really want our D to rush up too much due to not wanting to make a mistake and give odd man rushes the other way. I think the biggest lost is his size and smarts in our own end.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Serious question:

Do you consider this season a success regardless of the outcome of this series?

1. Beat the leafs in what will become an all time classic comeback
2. Swept the Jets to come out of the North.
3. Great showings from the youth (Caufield, Suzuki, KK)
4. Price showing he's best in the league come playoff time.

Frankly, #1 alone is enough for me. I'm excited and optimistic (voted habs in 7) but will be content with how the season ends if we don't get to the final.

Yes. I've enjoyed the last month more than anything in many, many years. Maybe the Boston-Hens good series of the mid 2010's when we had an electric Subban?

Reactions: Rapala

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think that's just DD messing with LV's game plan... I mean if he can't go next game, he won't be there all series... it's been a week, the swelling should have gone by now... it's just trying to play threw the pain.

I kind of think the same. If he's not ready for Monday after over a week off, when will he? He's going to play with pain and discomfort regardless so expecting him to take chances and rush the puck and be on our PP is high hopes anyways. The value he get with him in our line-up at this stage is his big body and mobility to contain others in our own end.

Habs might just save him and insert him after a loss. Romanov played well last game so they might want to let him ride that confidence. Like I said, at this stage, Petry's injury limits his high end offensive upside

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
OK, so now, Ben Brunet mentioned at noon that Price and Patioready don't like each other. Marc Denis had alluded to that too.

First time I hear of this. You guys?

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Serious question:

Do you consider this season a success regardless of the outcome of this series?

1. Beat the leafs in what will become an all time classic comeback
2. Swept the Jets to come out of the North.
3. Great showings from the youth (Caufield, Suzuki, KK)
4. Price showing he's best in the league come playoff time.

Frankly, #1 alone is enough for me. I'm excited and optimistic (voted habs in 7) but will be content with how the season ends if we don't get to the final.

I agree with you. Getting to the playoffs and upsetting the Leafs who were a good team even without Tavares is a good result for us. 2nd round and beyond is gravy at this point and I love it. We got zero expectations and this roster is out to play like a team and prove doubters wrong.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Then its Fleury.

The misfits line is excellent. Alex Tuch is a force. So that's 3 lines that can come in waves. Alec Martinez is also good. Brayden McNabb is now on their 3rd pair, where he always should have been.

It's a good team. But we have the potential to be good too. Sty li es make fights. Remember when we were absolutely useless, nothing. A bunch of nobodies skating in quick sand when we played Calgary this year? I look forward to seeing how we size up.

I picked us in 7. Hope our speed and the solid play of the 4th line can keep them on their heels. Tatar or Evans may need to come in for Byron to give that 3rd line some offensive spark. Though tatar may create a defensive train wreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->