Post-Game Talk: Game 1 EDSF - Washington 3 BRUINS 2 F OT - Caps lead series 1-0

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
After thinking about it for a day I'm even angrier about this loss. They never once challenged Anderson, despite him looking like Mr. Bean anytime a puck got near his feet.

A really terrible effort during an ideal situation. And a terrible job by our coaching staff too.
You just shined a light on a place that's escaped criticism so far. The coaching. Time and again they come out ill-prepared and weak. I don't know the answer to this problem but it is a big problem. For some reason this team doesn't seem to get interested until/unless their backs are to the wall. They've had the talent to usually come back but why not get the job done and mercy kill the Caps as fast as possible but don't seem to rise to the moment. Don't let Anderson get comfortable and pepper him for the full 60 minutes.
They can still take it in five (I doubt it but stranger things have happened) so why not come out and play balls to the walls? What is missing here with this coaching staff and the players to not come out with urgency from the get go?!

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Honestly the performance of the entire team was a disgrace. Despite the Craps being down to a mediocre 40 year old goaltender the Bruins could not score on him. Wrap your heads around that one. Then again Anderson didn't need to work too hard because his team was pushing the Bruins around all over the place.

This team has had issues with opponents' physicality & their own relative lack of it in addition to their tendencies to overplay, overpass and undershoot for some time now. None of these issues have been fixed and by that I mean permanently eliminated. Is the coaching staff not doing its job or are the players not listening?? Or is it both? Inquiring minds want to know.

I may be very wrong but every time I hear Cassidy talk, whether at a practice or to the press he talks too much X's & O's and we never hear attitude or inspiration. Maybe he saves that for pregame/and between periods but IMO he's a little too even keeled for my liking. Maybe it's not his style but he needs todo something different to wake up, shake up these guys.
Prior to game one he was talking about "getting behind the Caps defense" etc. IMO keep quiet about your game plan PERIOD! Funny but it seems to me that the Caps got behind the B's defense way more than the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I was leaning this way before the playoffs, but I’d really consider Kuhlman in for Kuraly.

Lines 3/4

JDB - Coyle - Kuhlman
Ritchie - Lazar - Wagner

I just think Kuhlman’s speed and willingness to drive to the net would be useful.

Kuraly just coughs up the puck or makes the wrong play too often for my liking.

I thought the 3rd line was horrendous and can see this happening next game should things remain the same. I would replace Wagner with Kuraly.

Reactions: sarge88

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Go back to Ritchie Coyle Debrusk.

Agree on Kuraly and that Coyle should playing Center but not on taking Wags out of the line-up. The Bruins need his physicality against this Caps team. He was one of the few Bruins who was looking to initiate contact from the get go and he's not a spot picker, as he drilled Wilson a couple of different times.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Agree on Kuraly and that Coyle should playing Center but not on taking Wags out of the line-up. The Bruins need his physicality against this Caps team. He was one of the few Bruins who was looking to initiate contact from the get go and he's not a spot picker, as he drilled Wilson a couple of different times.
That’s fair!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad