Post-Game Talk: Game 1 EDSF - Washington 3 BRUINS 2 F OT - Caps lead series 1-0

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Don't like the result, but I'm not overly upset. It's game 1. I don't think the Bruins were on their game that much. One lucky/crazy bounce past Rask. If we play the way we can play, this is our series.

One thing that needs to be fixed: I think the B's on D in the neutral zone were playing the puck too much instead of playing the man. Guys got by them a little too often. Step into those guys, knock them off the puck, then a teammate gets the puck, transition.

They're down to their 3rd-string goalie. If they have to rely on Anderson going forward, that's a disadvantage for the Caps.

Nice to see DeBrusk and Ritchie score. Gives them some juice. Lines 1 & 2 will chip in eventually. Hopefully after 1 playoff game as a Bruin, Hall will settle in and play the way he has been. I think maybe he had some nerves, even though he played okay. I think he'll find another gear.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
In fairness to Rask, the Bruins seem to play down to other teams too often. In this case though they were passive in the offensive zone and afraid to fight to the front of the Caps goal. The over passing, the poor shooting percentage, hitting the post etc can't go on.
In the defensive end, as others have said, they need to stand up at the blue-line and protect their territory, end the easy entries and allowing the Caps to set up camp in the B's end and wearing down our defense.
Gryz looked panicked, Miller made some bad outlet passes and Riley looked surprised by the onslaught. We need physicality and men with the chops to stand up to whatever the Caps throw at them.
The ticky-tacky east-west crap that Marchand and Pasta were trying was ineffective and a waste of time and energy. At one point (in one instance) Marchand skated 2 times in circles with the puck trying to lose a Cap only to lose the puck. Wasted energy. Chip & Chase, bang their defense and get body's to the slot to create some havoc and this can be a short series due to Caps injuries and goaltending. If not, even if we win in 6-7 games, we're going to have a beat up team for the second round (if we get there). The Caps are extremely beatable but the Bruins need to be willing to pay the price all over the ice. Make Anderson eat rubber.

To me, if a goalie gives up 2 regulation goals and loses in OT, I blame the forwards most of the time.

Last edited:

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
After thinking about it for a day I'm even angrier about this loss. They never once challenged Anderson, despite him looking like Mr. Bean anytime a puck got near his feet.

A really terrible effort during an ideal situation. And a terrible job by our coaching staff too.

I just like that despite playing THAT POORLY, it still took OT. You'd expect we'll see them at their best soon.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
After thinking about it for a day I'm even angrier about this loss. They never once challenged Anderson, despite him looking like Mr. Bean anytime a puck got near his feet.

A really terrible effort during an ideal situation. And a terrible job by our coaching staff too.

Bruins never seem to be the team that when they smell blood they go on the offensive.

Anderson getting subbed into the game should've been like chumming the water

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I was going to say - he looked good when someone retrieved and fed him the puck, but he had the yips all night long whenever it came to going for a loose puck. That just cannot continue unless he wants his minutes cut and a place on the third pair.

He had the yips because he knew he was going to get pounded. He's too small for playoff hockey, same thing happened vs TB in 2018 and STL 2019.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->