GDT: Game 1: Coyotes @ Tippett's Old Team| 01-19-13 | 6PM

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
unfortunate result but a number of positives that we can take away from yesterday's game.

We got beat by mistakes that we would never would have made had we actually had a regular training camp. Mistakes that will removed in time. Time however is a luxery we don't really have in this season.

we are a team that can be built by skill. Jags played like he was a 25 year old and made us pay. He won't be able to do this every night but he looked like a superstar again which is good for the Stars and their franchise.

Just a comment on Rundblad. His play shouldn't have come as a surprise for those of you which have read my commentary on his play in the AHL. He has taken huge strides forward in his game. I legitimately believe he may be the most talented player on the team.

Yandle needs to retire his fake slapshot routine. It just gives the opposition time to get into defensive position. Nobody buys it anymore.

Deputy Dawg

Jan 19, 2013
Hello All. Long time lurker...

I thought we looked really good in this game in the offensive zone. Not so much in the defensive zone, but I don't see that being a problem moving forward.

I agree with most that Derek Morris looked great. I have been a Morris hater in the past, but he was clearly our best D-man last night. Tyson Nash said something about him losing some weight in the offseason, so maybe that's the difference.

Rundblad really impressed me. One of you mentioned that he looked small out there, but I disagree a little bit. I'm reminded of a play in front of the Dallas net. There were two guys trying to go after Runblad after the whistle and he stood his ground - even had a smile on his face.

I thought Boedker looked pretty damn good, but it occurs to me that maybe Doan and Vermette are not the best linemates for him - I'm not sure they can keep up. I think a Korpikoski - Lombardi - Boedker line might do some serious damage offensively.

Speaking of Korpikoski, I thought he looked great in the offensive zone - very aggressive. Hopefully he will continue that moving forward.

Lombardi looked fast out there and won some battles. His play will improve with some more time with his (new) teammates.

Finally, Vrbata looked great out there. It's good to see him put up some big points without Whitney. Hopefully he can keep it up all season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, Nash said Morris most A TON of weight. I wonder what that means. He was previously 5'11 220lbs and cut. That's less like a hockey player and more like a linebacker. That's muscle beach shape but not hockey shape. Maybe he thought about how to extend his career and decided that building is body in the image of a hockey player rather than a cage fighter would be a good start. I've never seen him so mobile. We shall see how he plays tonight. Hopefully is wasnt just adrenaline and this is the new Mo. If that is the case, wow. If we can see a Morris at that level, and Rundblad continues his progress, we've got the best D in the nhl.

rt

May 13, 2004

I thought we looked really good in this game in the offensive zone. Not so much in the defensive zone, but I don't see that being a problem moving forward.

I agree with most that Derek Morris looked great. I have been a Morris hater in the past, but he was clearly our best D-man last night. Tyson Nash said something about him losing some weight in the offseason, so maybe that's the difference.

Rundblad really impressed me. One of you mentioned that he looked small out there, but I disagree a little bit. I'm reminded of a play in front of the Dallas net. There were two guys trying to go after Runblad after the whistle and he stood his ground - even had a smile on his face.

I thought Boedker looked pretty damn good, but it occurs to me that maybe Doan and Vermette are not the best linemates for him - I'm not sure they can keep up. I think a Korpikoski - Lombardi - Boedker line might do some serious damage offensively.

Speaking of Korpikoski, I thought he looked great in the offensive zone - very aggressive. Hopefully he will continue that moving forward.

Lombardi looked fast out there and won some battles. His play will improve with some more time with his (new) teammates.

Finally, Vrbata looked great out there. It's good to see him put up some big points without Whitney. Hopefully he can keep it up all season.

Welcome aboard!

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I didn't care for OEL's play on the Whitney goal. Rode Jagr into the boards after he already dumped the puck off and took himself completely out of the play, leaving an open lane for Whitney to just walk right up in.

rt

May 13, 2004
I didn't care for OEL's play on the Whitney goal. Rode Jagr into the boards after he already dumped the puck off and took himself completely out of the play, leaving an open lane for Whitney to just walk right up in.

Agreed. Still, I'm not sure he's legally allowed to drink, so I will forgive it. Haha. Though, he is shaving now, so he better hop to quick.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Can't disagree there. We were already the man down, although I am pretty sure that since Jagr had already beaten us twice, the effort was to ride him out of play and make others beat you. Plus, I would presume that Rundblad was on the ice at the time, and maybe he nor Smith made a call to OEL to not continue to pursue Jagr. The puck did get a little caught up in skates, but it wasn't something that was so "bang-bang" that we could not have stopped it...

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
Yeah, Nash said Morris most A TON of weight. I wonder what that means. He was previously 5'11 220lbs and cut. That's less like a hockey player and more like a linebacker. That's muscle beach shape but not hockey shape. Maybe he thought about how to extend his career and decided that building is body in the image of a hockey player rather than a cage fighter would be a good start. I've never seen him so mobile. We shall see how he plays tonight. Hopefully is wasnt just adrenaline and this is the new Mo. If that is the case, wow. If we can see a Morris at that level, and Rundblad continues his progress, we've got the best D in the nhl.
I think Nash said that he lost 20 pounds.

Agreed. Still, I'm not sure he's legally allowed to drink, so I will forgive it. Haha. Though, he is shaving now, so he better hop to quick.
He can drink. Brandon Gormley will be able to drink in February.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010

Welcome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad