GDT: Game 1: Coyotes @ Tippett's Old Team| 01-19-13 | 6PM

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Unrelated: Mueller is rocking a mullet now? Is Florida the Phx of old?

Yeah, I saw that. lol.

At least it was a one goal loss tonight. Could have been way worse. Seems like a lot of the games today were dominated by the skill guys. They were the ones getting on the board. Once teams start settling into their systems, the Coyotes being one of them, we'll start to see some proper hockey.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, just got finished watching it...******.

A few positives is that we outshot them 40 to 26 and that reminds me of the team 3 years ago Tipp's first year here when we dominated teams, but then we had a dozen really bad turnovers that led to Jagr looking like a world beater.

Here's hoping they can tighten up the "D", we certainly can't have that many giveaways against Chicago.

Can't start the season 0-2, gotta get the win tomorrow.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I feel like the title of this thread should be "NHL Player Derek Morris vs Dallas"

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I feel like the title of this thread should be "NHL Player Derek Morris vs Dallas"

I really hope Morris can keep playing like he did today.

I really liked the way Rundblad played today.

Sloppy game, but we just need to have 47 good games from here on out. :yo:

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
I hate that we lost........almost single handedly to jagr.

Despite the uncharacteristic sloppy play out there tonight there were a lot of positives to take out of the game. Rundblad and Lombo both looked like they are going to really boost the offense.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Just watched the replay of highlights on NHL Network. Rundblad was on the ice for two of the goals and he looked pretty lazy. Just sayin.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It was like a junior game. Big fat glaring mistakes, wild swings of momentum, and a single star player stealing the show. Haha. Really had an amateur hockey vibe.

Anyhow, I don't think we really had an amazing amount of bad mistakes. Of the half dozen we did have, four ended up past Mike Smith. Some of that is luck. You should he able to get away with a few mistakes. We didn't. Speaking of Smith, he had no incredible saves. He might be a little rusty. He didn't let in any bad goals. None. However, generally he can save our hides once or twice per game, and bail somebody out. That didn't happen tonight.

One less mistake, one big save, and we win. Overall, we were the more effective team and we looked sharp 95% of that game. Late in the 2nd period, it really looked like we were about to run away with it. Dallas had just blown their lead, looked fatigued, and about ready to quit. Instead, the get a goal and everything changed.
Yandle and Sullivan had bad games.

Klesla was invisible in a good way. Vermette in a bad way.

I saw positives in basically every single other Coyote. Really liked Doan, Boedker, Vrbata, Hanzal, Korpikoski, Lombardi, Moss, Chipchura, Gordon, OEL, Z, Morris, and Rundblad.

Smith had some rust. They'll get sharper. Good signs in this game.

Tippett said it best in his usual succinct manner: "Both teams gave each other some gifts. We ended up giving one more. That's a tough way to lose and its uncharacteristic of our team".

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just watched the replay of highlights on NHL Network. Rundblad was on the ice for two of the goals and he looked pretty lazy. Just sayin.

That 2nd one was all Sullivan. Rundblad had every right to go for a change and Hanzal had every reason not to expect that stupid pass. None of the Coyotes expected Sullivan to pass the puck in the complete wrong direction for absolutely no reason at all. Stupid, unexplainable play. Really just a complete brain fart. Can't blame Rundblad, Hanzal, or Smith for that. All Sullivan.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

He was good. Not really his fault. Brings so much more to the table than Schlemko. Kid instantly tried to win my heart by going for a monster hit his first shift. Only got half of the guy he was going for, and sort of gave up an odd man rush, but it's the thought that counts. He still looks small out there. But if he puts it together, watch out.

Yandle was crap and flat. Which is odd, because DMo was beastin' out there. Seriously. Who pissed in his cheerios? Did he wake up during the offseason and think to himself "I want to be useful this year"?

Also, OEL lead both teams in TOI and came out of this travesty a +1

yeah

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Yandle, OEL, Morris, Michalek and Rundblad were all good. Klesla wasn't bad but made a few mistakes.

It's mostly the forwards that didn't backcheck and defend as much as usually, same as first game last year, which made things rather hard for Smith and the D. Add to that the lucky bounce in their third goal and Sullivan's ****up in the fourth and we have a loss.

I'm not worried, it's just conditioning. They'll take on Chicago and do well today.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yandle, OEL, Morris, Michalek and Rundblad were all good. Klesla wasn't bad but made a few mistakes.

It's mostly the forwards that didn't backcheck and defend as much as usually, same as first game last year, which made things rather hard for Smith and the D. Add to that the lucky bounce in their third goal and Sullivan's ****up in the fourth and we have a loss.

I'm not worried, it's just conditioning. They'll take on Chicago and do well today.

Yandle good?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That 2nd one was all Sullivan. Rundblad had every right to go for a change and Hanzal had every reason not to expect that stupid pass. None of the Coyotes expected Sullivan to pass the puck in the complete wrong direction for absolutely no reason at all. Stupid, unexplainable play. Really just a complete brain fart. Can't blame Rundblad, Hanzal, or Smith for that. All Sullivan.

Agree 100%. Hope he doesn't fart to much this year and stink.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It was like a junior game. Big fat glaring mistakes, wild swings of momentum, and a single star player stealing the show. Haha. Really had an amateur hockey vibe.

Anyhow, I don't think we really had an amazing amount of bad mistakes. Of the half dozen we did have, four ended up past Mike Smith. Some of that is luck. You should he able to get away with a few mistakes. We didn't. Speaking of Smith, he had no incredible saves. He might be a little rusty. He didn't let in any bad goals. None. However, generally he can save our hides once or twice per game, and bail somebody out. That didn't happen tonight.

One less mistake, one big save, and we win. Overall, we were the more effective team and we looked sharp 95% of that game. Late in the 2nd period, it really looked like we were about to run away with it. Dallas had just blown their lead, looked fatigued, and about ready to quit. Instead, the get a goal and everything changed.
Yandle and Sullivan had bad games.

Klesla was invisible in a good way. Vermette in a bad way.

I saw positives in basically every single other Coyote. Really liked Doan, Boedker, Vrbata, Hanzal, Korpikoski, Lombardi, Moss, Chipchura, Gordon, OEL, Z, Morris, and Rundblad.

Smith had some rust. They'll get sharper. Good signs in this game.

Tippett said it best in his usual succinct manner: "Both teams gave each other some gifts. We ended up giving one more. That's a tough way to lose and its uncharacteristic of our team".

I really enjoy ready your posts rt. Always well thought out and usually right. I agree with you except Klesla, as I thought he had a below average game for him. Really surprised with Rundblad, I thought he played very well. You didn't mention Yandle. I thought he was our worst defenseman, but his partner, Morris was our best.

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas

Also the GWG was a really bad mental error on behalf of Sullivan, still for not playing in 9mo I would give mulligans

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
I think we've gone over what was disappointing about the game already, so some of the things that I'll be looking forward to for the rest of the season:

Boedker to use his speed and get some finish on his plays. He showed off his speed in this game, but wasn't able to do a lot with it. Also had at least one really nice steal.

NHL Player Derek Morris' physicality and positioning. He was in the right spot

OEL's physicality - he was throwing some serious checks out there and must've put on a bit of weight over the break.

Lombardi looks like he could be a serious threat on the attack.

wpgyotes

Bye Bryz
Jul 6, 2006
Lots of positives to take out of that one. As a group, they have some ironing out to do of course, but I like the make-up of the team from the net out. Sullivan cost us this game trying to get 'Pittsburgh' cute in his own zone.

Michalek and OEL look good together, and I wasn't disappointed with Yandle like most of you seem to be - he has always had his warts, but brings more good than bad. Need more out of the Doan - Vermette - Boeds line, but maybe they'll be the line to step up against the Hawks... it seemed to work out that way last year, with each line taking a turn in the limelight, and with a team full of max 50-60 point guys, that's a winning formula most nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->