GDT: Game 1: Coyotes @ Stars | 10/4/18 5:30 p.m. PDT | FS-A | The regular season sucks

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I'd give Goose a few games. I think he only got into 1 preseason game because he was sick. So this was only his 2nd game.
Yeah, I would halt the Goligoski hate train, he was good for most of last year and I believe helps > hurts the team. Just had a bad game last night......as did 6-7 others.

Reactions: Jakey53

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Hard to say, but Perlini/Strome/Goligoski for sure. I think Tocc makes line up changes next game and that will tell. Dolphin/Archibald in for Strome and ?
The Strome bias is real. How could you watch that game and honestly think he was a problem? I just don't get it...

Won 75% of his faceoffs, strong Corsi, gave up literally zero scoring chances while on the ice, got bumped up to play with Keller by his coach who never shows him any love, what else do you want him to do...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Can we identify Tocchet’s passengers?

1 Panik
2 Perlini
3 Demers
4 Goligoski
5 Connauton
6 Strome (first half of game)

Anyone else?
You can't be serious about Strome. He got bumped up for a reason. Raanta did not play good, I would add Oesterle. Our D is suppose to be the back bone of this team. It wasn't tonight.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
The Strome bias is real. How could you watch that game and honestly think he was a problem? I just don't get it...

Won 75% of his faceoffs, strong Corsi, gave up literally zero scoring chances while on the ice, got bumped up to play with Keller by his coach who never shows him any love, what else do you want him to do...
Strome was one of the best forwards last night, his TOI was 14:50 which has to be or near his NHL career high.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
You can't be serious about Strome. He got bumped up for a reason. Raanta did not play good, I would add Oesterle. Our D is suppose to be the back bone of this team. It wasn't tonight.

Agreed. Everyone on the D core except Hammer and OEL were bad.

Strome played very well. He wasnt the best center on the ice, but he was the best center wearing white. Step had a solid game. Strome played a little better. That’s all

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I thought Richardson sucked. All of the vets basically looked like crap.
Richardson was falling all over the place. Not his usual steady self.

Hard to say, but Perlini/Strome/Goligoski for sure. I think Tocc makes line up changes next game and that will tell. Dolphin/Archibald in for Strome and ?
You hate for Strome has gone to a new level. I thought Strome was one of the better forwards. I agree about Perlini and Gogo.

There should be no reason to bench Strome
No reason at all. He has to build on this.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Look at it this way...Strome and Kempe are leading the team in scoring after 1 game.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I thought it was fine also.

Little do you know.:)

C'mon Jakey, find me any evidence that states winning FO% has anything to do with scoring goals or winning games...I challenge you!

FO% has 'zero' affect on an outcome of the game...because if you think about the statistics, the worst team in the NHL was around 46% and the best team was around 54%...there is 'zero' correlation statistically speaking that the team with the better FO% has an increased chance in winning the game. There just isn't.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
This felt like the last few seasons...just not enough guys who can put it in the net on a regular basis. Even when Galchenyuk is back we're still short scoring bodies. Look at the Jets with five guys who put 20 or more in. In todays league you need goals. On a side note we also lack toughness. We will get pushed around a lot...again. Same story different year. We have talent but not the right kind of talent. I know I know one game but look at the roster without rose colored glasses. Oh well, go Yotes anyway.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, I would halt the Goligoski hate train, he was good for most of last year and I believe helps > hurts the team. Just had a bad game last night......as did 6-7 others.
He was dog shit the first 25ish games of the last two seasons. So him being arguably our worst player in game one is concerning. Of course he might be great in a few games and it’ll be water under the bridge. Let’s not act like this is a one game sample size, though. His performance last night was indicative of a completely unacceptable trend.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

May 13, 2004
Richardson was falling all over the place. Not his usual steady self.

You hate for Strome has gone to a new level. I thought Strome was one of the better forwards. I agree about Perlini and Gogo.

No reason at all. He has to build on this.
My hate for Strome? I’m one of Strome’s biggest champions. Since his draft year.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So, I was at the game, and here is what I saw:

We actually played really well for about 55 minutes of the game. The first goal allowed wasn't a great goal to allow, but it wasn't horrible. Our problem was that as soon as we let that one in, we started to panic in our individual games and that carried over into the system. Once that second goal went in (tough one on Goligoski, but again, a little panic when that puck kind of jumped and rolled around on the ice), there was about another 2-3 minutes of getting away from the system, and that led to the 3rd goal.

We moved the puck well - there was some zip on our passes and we controlled possession decently when given the opportunity. We did have some late reactions on rushes and I don't know if that was b/c we got ourselves a little out of position or if it was more the specific players lacking quickness when forced to turn and skate.

Our defense did not do badly at all. Far more together than where the defense was to start the season last year.

We do need some physicality and I was a little surprised that there was not a fight during the game. The Fischer kneeing penalty was more of a wrong place, wrong time type of situation, and it wasn't his intention to hit someone like that or hurt someone like that. But Dallas was far more ready to throw their bodies around, and while we didn't necessarily struggle with the physical nature, I don't think that we were expecting that.

We also hit 3 posts, and the 2nd post that we hit (about 1 minute prior to the first goal from the Stars) seemed to be the back-breaker. It was like we somehow realized that the puck wasn't going to bounce our way, especially with how close that shot was. If that one goes in, I think we are talking an entirely different game.

I will say this - if the Stars are expected to be in the playoffs, the Coyotes are not that far behind. The score line looks deceiving, b/c we actually were relative evens for about 90% of the game, just that the goals were scored in that 10% of the time that we didn't look good.

BTW, if you haven't been to a Stars game, the in-arena experience is probably the best that I have ever seen. The music between breaks is great and whomever is in charge of putting things on the scoreboard really has found their niche. I feel like the Coyotes need to get someone from the Stars in-game crew to bring some new ideas to the table.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’d bring back the same lineup next game. There’s nobody worth subbing in.
The only change I’d make is Lyubushkin for Demers. 100% just to send a message to some veterans who look waaay too comfortable. Demers acting like he’s too cool for training camp and pre-season just a day or two before shitting the bed on opening night is absolutely unacceptable. He needs to sit for a rookie, not only to teach him a lesson but to put Goligoski and Richardson on notice.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
This felt like the last few seasons...just not enough guys who can put it in the net on a regular basis. Even when Galchenyuk is back we're still short scoring bodies. Look at the Jets with five guys who put 20 or more in. In todays league you need goals. On a side note we also lack toughness. We will get pushed around a lot...again. Same story different year. We have talent but not the right kind of talent. I know I know one game but look at the roster without rose colored glasses. Oh well, go Yotes anyway.
Keller, Galchenyuk, Stepan, Perlini, Fischer, Dvo, Strome, OEL, even Panik......each of those guys has or is very capable of scoring 20+ goals.

It's a young team that's maturing, one 100 second blip doesn't make or break a season. AZ speed will break teams, especially as the season goes on. Still probably short of a playoff spot, but very capable of a 20 point improvement this year.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
My hate for Strome? I’m one of Strome’s biggest champions. Since his draft year.

Believe he was responding to Cobra on that part of the message.

As for what people have said... totally think the Yotes were a little uncomfortable with the physicality of the Stars. I felt that they needed more push back on that. I was surprised no one was taking more of a shot at Pitlick after his hit on Oyster. (Crouse did a bit, during a faceoff I think but yea) There were several Stars players after Fischer when that Kneeing penalty occurred.

I totally forgot Panik was playing until they called his name on a play. He and Richardson seemed to be a bit invisible too. I thought Strome had a solid game in terms of impacting some plays. Keller is still Keller. Hino looked a bit like nervous energy at times but had some nice shows of his speed. Perlini was just not having a good game, for sure. Missing the net and some mental mistakes. Con-Norris was invisible to me too. Oyster was not a big factor (was missing after that hit for concussion protocol so I get that)... Hammer looked a bit tentative to me after he got hit near the end of the first and looked a bit shaken up. Raanta was not fantastic.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Lots of positives. If this game was mid-season and Dallas was near the top of their divison then we would be chalking this one up to bad luck. The fact that it was the first game is why there is panic. Everyone has pretty much expressed my thoughts so I dont want to contribute too much to an echo chamber but couple of my thoughts

Demers was the worst player on the ice. Goligoski wasnt great in his end, and was too aggressive at times in the offensive end but he also made some plays. Demeres did nothing and was only noticeable because he was constantly out of position.

OEL looked great. Should have scored. I would like to put Hammer on his line again and see if there is more chemistry this year. Demers was making him do double the work. Maybe Demers being with KConn or Osterle would make him simplify his game.

Reaaaaalllly excited about Fish. Strome had his best NHL game. Hino looks like he can fill in parts of Domi's role.

Keller didnt look terrible at center, but the choice of his forwards was just dumb. Fischer or Panik should have been with him and Hino or Perlini. It was the softest line amd Dallas feasted on them. The line looked much better once Strome was put on it, who was actually winning board battles and creating space with his body.

Reactions: Name Nameless

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
Strome and Kempe brought it last night. Demers was awful. Perlini, Panik, Kconn seems to be half of the passengers that Toc mentioned.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Keller, Galchenyuk, Stepan, Perlini, Fischer, Dvo, Strome, OEL, even Panik......each of those guys has or is very capable of scoring 20+ goals.

It's a young team that's maturing, one 100 second blip doesn't make or break a season. AZ speed will break teams, especially as the season goes on. Still probably short of a playoff spot, but very capable of a 20 point improvement this year.

Agree to disagree...killers row this is not. Compare to other teams and were missing at least two guys who are consistent goal scorers. Your banking a lot on what ifs and maybes. Without having a physical side to our game all they have to do is beat down on Keller and game over.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So, I was at the game, and here is what I saw:

We actually played really well for about 55 minutes of the game. The first goal allowed wasn't a great goal to allow, but it wasn't horrible. Our problem was that as soon as we let that one in, we started to panic in our individual games and that carried over into the system. Once that second goal went in (tough one on Goligoski, but again, a little panic when that puck kind of jumped and rolled around on the ice), there was about another 2-3 minutes of getting away from the system, and that led to the 3rd goal.

We moved the puck well - there was some zip on our passes and we controlled possession decently when given the opportunity. We did have some late reactions on rushes and I don't know if that was b/c we got ourselves a little out of position or if it was more the specific players lacking quickness when forced to turn and skate.

Our defense did not do badly at all. Far more together than where the defense was to start the season last year.

We do need some physicality and I was a little surprised that there was not a fight during the game. The Fischer kneeing penalty was more of a wrong place, wrong time type of situation, and it wasn't his intention to hit someone like that or hurt someone like that. But Dallas was far more ready to throw their bodies around, and while we didn't necessarily struggle with the physical nature, I don't think that we were expecting that.

We also hit 3 posts, and the 2nd post that we hit (about 1 minute prior to the first goal from the Stars) seemed to be the back-breaker. It was like we somehow realized that the puck wasn't going to bounce our way, especially with how close that shot was. If that one goes in, I think we are talking an entirely different game.

I will say this - if the Stars are expected to be in the playoffs, the Coyotes are not that far behind. The score line looks deceiving, b/c we actually were relative evens for about 90% of the game, just that the goals were scored in that 10% of the time that we didn't look good.

BTW, if you haven't been to a Stars game, the in-arena experience is probably the best that I have ever seen. The music between breaks is great and whomever is in charge of putting things on the scoreboard really has found their niche. I feel like the Coyotes need to get someone from the Stars in-game crew to bring some new ideas to the table.
I agree with your post, except for the part about our D.

The only change I’d make is Lyubushkin for Demers. 100% just to send a message to some veterans who look waaay too comfortable. Demers acting like he’s too cool for training camp and pre-season just a day or two before ****ting the bed on opening night is absolutely unacceptable. He needs to sit for a rookie, not only to teach him a lesson but to put Goligoski and Richardson on notice.

I agree. Same thing happened last year.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Outside the 5 obvious players who didnt have good games I believe Tocc might have refered to Hinostroza. Great speed, but lacked creativity and intent to make the most of the play. Kinda like a boedker or domi from last season.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I was responding to Cobra and his hate for Strome.:)
I don't hate Strome, I hope he has a hat trick Saturday (assuming he is in the line up). Strome was ineffective and a non factor most of the game. Out of desperation for a goal, Tocc shook up the lines, and Strome did look better with Keller, when we had the puck. Anyone will look better with Keller.

I'm telling you guys, and this is totally objective, Strome needs to not be a passenger when we don't have the puck, he has to contribute more. Don't be surprised if he gets scratched in the next game or two in favor of Dolphin at C. I would bet money he is one of the guys Tocc was talking about in his presser. I hope I'm wrong and eat crow, because we are desperate for a 2C or better, just telling you what I am seeing (objectively).

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I don't hate Strome, I hope he has a hat trick Saturday (assuming he is in the line up). Strome was ineffective and a non factor most of the game. Out of desperation for a goal, Tocc shook up the lines, and Strome did look better with Keller, when we had the puck. Anyone will look better with Keller.

I'm telling you guys, and this is totally objective, Strome needs to not be a passenger when we don't have the puck, he has to contribute more. Don't be surprised if he gets scratched in the next game or two in favor of Dolphin at C. I would bet money he is one of the guys Tocc was talking about in his presser. I hope I'm wrong and eat crow, because we are desperate for a 2C or better, just telling you what I am seeing (objectively).

It is definitely interesting that we both see Strome's performance last night in such different ways. Goes to show how subjective one performance can be! We shall find out soon enough about Saturday's roster. I'm excited to be there!

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->