GDT: Game 1 | Columbus at Detroit | 10/4 7:30PM

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
19,515 attendance tonight...OK
Not sure if this is true or not but I've heard that the arena always seems to look empty on TV because of the way they built the concourses. There are apparently open areas at the top of the section where people can sit and eat during the game while watching. People apparently prefer to be there than in their actual seats.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Not sure if this is true or not but I've heard that the arena always seems to look empty on TV because of the way they built the concourses. There are apparently open areas at the top of the section where people can sit and eat during the game while watching. People apparently prefer to be there than in their actual seats.

I haven’t been there either, but have seen another CBJ fan who lives in Detroit post the same thing. You would think if people really prefer sitting at concourse level than sitting in their glass seats, that the DRWs would start selling tickets for the concourse seating. Kind of like the loge tables at NWA.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Calrsson and kukan barely even touched ice. Murray will die of overwork if that continue

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Those two got crossed up on the Cholowski goal - I am more concerned by their defensive game than the offensive part. Especially with Anderson going beast-mode like that, they'll produce.
Yeah, I acknowledged as much earlier. That was pretty much a "everybody got confused and thereby exploited" moment.

* * *​
Wennberg avoided this crisis by registering one shot on goal.
Pretty sure he had a few more shot attempts than that.

* * *​
Calrsson and kukan barely even touched ice. Murray will die of overwork if that continue
I assume that this is a temporary state of things due to Jones' absence.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I unfortunately had to listen to the radio as I was on the road. How did Nutivaara look after his atrocious preseason?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Watched the first period, it still felt a bit like a preseason game. Cam looks real good. Glad we won and happy that our backup got the win. Next.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I though Milano looked really good last night . And I will say this , he was much more impactful than Wennberg in half the time . Heck if Wennberg drives the net on that 2 on 1 , instead of trying to set up on the half wall for some unknown reason , it was most likely an easy goal . We need players that can snipe , and Milano has a good shot . I’m not sure how many shots they said last night missed the net , but pretty sure they said we attempted like 78 shots or something , and a ton missed the net . I just don’t get the hate for Milano , or why Torts continues to misuse him , but gives players like Wennberg twice the minutes , and they don’t produce . Milano was second in the nhl last year , in points per minute played , as a rookie

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I though Milano looked really good last night . And I will say this , he was much more impactful than Wennberg in half the time . Heck if Wennberg drives the net on that 2 on 1 , instead of trying to set up on the half wall for some unknown reason , it was most likely an easy goal . We need players that can snipe , and Milano has a good shot . I’m not sure how many shots they said last night missed the net , but pretty sure they said we attempted like 78 shots or something , and a ton missed the net . I just don’t get the hate for Milano , or why Torts continues to misuse him , but gives players like Wennberg twice the minutes , and they don’t produce . Milano was second in the nhl last year , in points per minute played , as a rookie

I wonder if you could possibly be fair to him at some point.

Milano didn't have control of the puck until the blueline. It really looked like he would lose it, as the puck was behind him. By the time Milano got it, Wennberg was at the red line, in a defensive posture, which is where he should have been given the circumstance. Bjorkstrand was also back by the red line. Wennberg just didn't have time to get into the play and Milano should have shot the damn puck. I do agree that Milano was fine though.

Reactions: Viqsi

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I wonder if you could possibly be fair to him at some point.

Milano didn't have control of the puck until the blueline. It really looked like he would lose it, as the puck was behind him. By the time Milano got it, Wennberg was at the red line, in a defensive posture, which is where he should have been given the circumstance. Bjorkstrand was also back by the red line. Wennberg just didn't have time to get into the play and Milano should have shot the damn puck. I do agree that Milano was fine though.
I will have to go back and watch the play again , It sure looked like he skated to the right side wall , instead of driving the net , which would have made an easy 2-1 play . And that Milano kept waiting for him to make himself an option on that play .

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I will have to go back and watch the play again , It sure looked like he skated to the right side wall , instead of driving the net , which would have made an easy 2-1 play . And that Milano kept waiting for him to make himself an option on that play .

I watched it a few times last night. There were maybe two and half seconds between the time Milano controlled the puck at the blueline and passed it at the faceoff dot. Wennberg got from close to the red line to the top of the right circle in that amount of time, which is reasonable. He was in line with the right faceoff dot, and not near the wall, about where you would want to be to pick up that sort of pass. Just a half second behind, and being a left shot he had no chance to get a quick shot off unless he was actually beyond the dot, which Milano shouldn't have assumed because it was a broken play and you shouldn't expect your linemates to be that far forward.

Anyways, Wennberg is not aggressive enough offensively, I just don't think that's a good example.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
As a die-hard Detroit Red Wing fan - I just wanna say thanks to the Columbus Blue Jackets organization, and their fans for acknowledging our intro for 'Hank' Zetterberg in last nights game.

Hope you guys have a great season, and best of luck to when you make the post-season!

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

NO they both botched the entire thing. It was a simple 2 on 1 they could have had with a BUNCH of time. Milano panicked and threw the puck across without even looking over, and unfortunately the other player was Wennberg who wasn't skating into the zone with any urgency.

Milano should have corralled the puck and skated in the zone, he had a semi breakaway. They were barely across the blueline. Unfortunately, he cant skate with his head up at NHL speed.

Sedlak, Robinson, etc should be in there over Milano. Duclair is what "Milano fans" want to pass of Sonny as.

Again, Carlsson was the real shitshow, not Milano.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Major and Bread, you are both part right and part wrong.

Milano should have just simply accepted the puck and skated in and Wennberg should have been busting his ass into the zone (with this supposed high level hockey IQ/vision) , seeing they had a 2 on 1 with a bunch of time at the very least. Milano had a legit clear path to the f***in hashmarks. They did NOTHING with a legit chance.

There should have been no quick shot or defending at the red line.

Glad I could help.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As a die-hard Detroit Red Wing fan - I just wanna say thanks to the Columbus Blue Jackets organization, and their fans for acknowledging our intro for 'Hank' Zetterberg in last nights game.

Hope you guys have a great season, and best of luck to when you make the post-season!
Honor demands one hearken when the skalds sing of the mighty deeds of such a worthy foe. :nod:

Reactions: FMichael

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad