Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Room distraction to the max! :D

ezgif-5-d4c140da1c78.gif

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
My thoughts from watching the game (other than part of the 3rd period due to some life stuff):

• That PP goal for Cam was great. I liked how the PP looked in general--it actually looked like something!
  • Korpi looked really solid throughout. I'm very happy. Hopefully we don't see the "Bob back to back" series again.
  • Bjorkstrand and Foligno were buzzing around the net most of the game, especially in the first period. I like them together and think this is the game Bjork is gonna have to play to excel. I didn't noticed Wennberg much, which is neither a good or bad thing at this moment.
  • I freaking love Duclair. Keep bringing that pressure
  • Other than getting mixed up on the one DET goal, the Jenner-Dubi-Andy line impressed me. I'm cautiously optimistic it'll work and that Dubi and Jenner won't start tripping over themselves again (see the early season game vs. Boston two years ago for an example of what I mean)
  • I like seeing the team win faceoffs. Very impressive in that regard

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Or package him with Milano & a pick and get them the heck outta town.

Wait, why Milano? He was solid.

Outside of the first period, the first line was kind of invisible. But thats OK. The third line carried the play tonight. 4th line did well too for some shifts. Powerplay looked better, PK is still TBD. I thought Korpi played well when he was called upon, especially the two saves in OT. The goals against were unlucky or bad defense.

I'll be in attendance tomorrow. Go us

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Wait, why Milano? He was solid.

Outside of the first period, the first line was kind of invisible. But thats OK. The third line carried the play tonight. 4th line did well too for some shifts. Powerplay looked better, PK is still TBD. I thought Korpi played well when he was called upon, especially the two saves in OT. The goals against were unlucky or bad defense.

I'll be in attendance tomorrow. Go us

What did you see out of Sonny that was solid?... I’m legit just curious! literally the only thing I noticed of his play was the atrocious passing up the puck to Wenny instead of taking a chance with a shot on that semi-breakaway.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Two notes (from NHL.com):

1.) Love this quote by Korpi... "I really wanted to make sure we got the win in overtime because the guys had been so good in front of me all night. Right at the end of regulation, Nick [Foligno] is diving in front of Thomas Vanek to block a shot, and that makes me want to make my own big plays." -- Blue Jackets goalie Joonas Korpisalo

2.) Atkinson became the 11th player in NHL history to score in five straight season-openers and is the only active player to do so.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What did you see out of Sonny that was solid?... I’m legit just curious! literally the only thing I noticed of his play was the atrocious passing up the puck to Wenny instead of taking a chance with a shot on that semi-breakaway.

I didn't mind the pass. Milano is more playmaker than shooter. It wasn't a bad play, but a shot is more preferred. Milano also made a fantastic play to set up that rush by poking the puck by the oncoming Detroit player and controlling the puck enough to gain speed into the zone.

I know he's not liked here, and I'm not saying he played great. But he played fine.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Also, the third line is being far, far better than they have any right to be given the historical record w/r/t Dubi and Jenner on the same line. :)

Those two got crossed up on the Cholowski goal - I am more concerned by their defensive game than the offensive part. Especially with Anderson going beast-mode like that, they'll produce.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I didn't mind the pass. Milano is more playmaker than passer. It wasn't a bad play, but a shot is more preferred. Milano also made a fantastic play to set up that rush by poking the puck by the oncoming Detroit player and controlling the puck enough to gain speed into the zone.

I know he's not liked here, and I'm not saying he played great. But he played fine.

Torts disagrees. He had a total of 3 shifts in the final ~30 minutes of play. 1:32 TOI in the 3rd.

I get it, when we picked him he was instantly labeled a boom or bust pick, but he literally has shown no signs of living up to his potential of playing like a 1st round pick. Sure, he hasn’t been given a fair amount of ice time to ‘prove his worth’ but he hasn’t done anything (at all) to encourage Torts and the coaching staff to give him more ice time.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Actually a good play had Wennberg been going to net as Milano understandably was expecting.

The shot is a higher percentage play there. Milano gave up one of our best shot locations of the night to pass across. Blind passes are sometimes a bad habit, in my opinion. He didn't know if someone was there, and even if there was someone, he didn't know if they were left shooting or right shooting or if it would be in their skates or what.

Torts disagrees. He had a total of 3 shifts in the final ~30 minutes of play. 1:32 TOI in the 3rd.

I get it, when we picked him he was instantly labeled a boom or bust pick, but he literally has shown no signs of living up to his potential of playing like a 1st round pick. Sure, he hasn’t been given a fair amount of ice time to ‘prove his worth’ but he hasn’t done anything (at all) to encourage Torts and the coaching staff to give him more ice time.

Other than all the goals, I agree.

He was creating a fair amount for his minutes tonight.

Last edited:

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I also wasn't upset by Milano's play tonight. He wasn't perfect, but he looked dangerous when he had the puck and he put the defense on their heels at times, which most of the Jackets' other forwards weren't doing tonight.

The third line was awesome on the forecheck but as previously mentioned Jenner and Dubi got mixed up on one of the goals against and the one goal the three of them scored was set up by Duclair, who didn't play with them most of the night. I kind of feel like someone with good hands needs to be on that line to help convert more of those turnovers in the offensive zone into goals. It's been brought up before, but I wouldn't mind seeing Stenlund in Dubinsky's place on that line if a forward gets hurt.

The D corps was good overall tonight but I miss Seth Jones. Overtime was when his absence was most noticeable. Hopefully he'll be back before the schedule gets tough.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
When the eye test dances together with stats. That 1st line woof! But as good as Dubi line has played(as @The Wheelchair said) the only time they were able to put puck on net when some skill was injected in that line-Duclair.

1312133b45ebecd6405162310c051e22-full.jpg

Reactions: CBJSTH

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Milano on the forecheck did a textbook hockey stop totally snowing a guy instead of delivering a hit. I don’t expect him to be Tom Wilson, but that last time I checked (pun intended), hockey was still a contact sport.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
This is going to be a long and bittersweet season for me knowing Panarin will be gone at the end of it. I had a very tame reaction to the game-winning goal. I wasn't mad or anything; just meh.

Reactions: thebus88

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
So in OT you send out your weakest face off center, who won't shoot 1st? Wonder why they constantly put AW in a position to create offense, but he just won't do it. Should not see power play time until he starts taking his shots either.

213 Sentinel

Jul 2, 2006
Marysville, Ohio
My only major criticism of the game in general and the PP in particular is that One-Timers seem to be an endangered species on this team. Otherwise, a decent effort. Some players need to gel, and they will. When that happens this team will flourish. Kinda glad we had DET and CAR in the first two games to help this along.

Also...anyone else notice Foligno's ice time? Most among forwards. Five more minutes than Panarin.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
My thoughts from LCA:

-Little Caesars Arena is pretty cool. VERY red. But from where I was from I couldn’t see the Jumbotron, so they had screens hanging for people in the nosebleeds.

-Bread, please just f***ing stay.

-Panarin, Cam, Bjork, Duclair, Anderson, Korpi, Z, Dubi, and Nash all played great. Dubi actually looked like his old self.

-While I really liked what I saw from the third line, I would put Duclair with Andy. The speed would overwhelm teams.

-Wennberg.... was noticeably bad imo. I would honestly prefer Stenlund between Foligno and Bjork.

Overall, dominant performance. I know Korpi’s pad stop in OT won’t make it to highlight reels, but in person that was a GREAT stop. He was looking for a rebound and Korpi didn’t give it to him.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad