GDT: Game 1: Carolina Bunch of Jerks @ Detroit Red Wings - 1/14/2021 - 7:30 PM - FSD

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If Ryan is ready, Blashill has an interesting choice to make.
I believe he'll move Namestnikov to a new line, but where?
For a winger? Gagner maybe? Nielsen maybe?
The other option is moving Namestnikov to C. But then Fabbri's still got to move.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Fabbri and Mantha were disgustingly horrendous. Fabbri was allways falling on ice and losing every puck battle, Mantha was lazy af. Change second line to Brome-Namestnikov-Zadina, dont know what to do with top line, they were all bad, but Mantha was something else. Also what the f*** why was Zadina with Nielsen and Erne and 50 sec on PP total?

I feel like the entire top line was horrendous. Larkin competed more than the others, but he was also responsible for the first goal against so idk.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Filppula and Nielsen actually looked... ok? They definitely had more energy in their step. But it is game 1 after not playing for 300 days.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Ideally I think I'd like to go with something like the below. I think Bert and Fabbri has shown decent chem in the past, and our first line probably isn't good enough to just load up consistently. I like the pop Smith brings on the 4th line. I want to see what Ras can do on faceoffs, and he has a backup C to help him.

Ryan- Larkin- Mantha
Bert- Fabbri- Zadina
Brome-Ras- Namestikov
Smith- Glenny- Erne

Hronek- Nemeth
Djoos- DDK
Stretcher- Merril

PP

Ryan-Larkin-Ras (net)
Hronek- Mantha

Brome- Fabbri- Bert (net)
Djoos- Zadina

or maybe the below if you want to spread out the righties a bit.

Mantha- Larkin- Ras (net)
Djoos- Ryan

Hronek- Zadina

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Filppula and Nielsen actually looked... ok? They definitely had more energy in their step. But it is game 1 after not playing for 300 days.

i didn't think so at all.
Both were knocked off the puck regularly.
Both had pretty awful advanced stats. Neither had a 5 on 5 shot on goal.
Both are candidates to be replaced soon, IMO.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Ideally I think I'd like to go with something like the below. I think Bert and Fabbri has shown decent chem in the past, and our first line probably isn't good enough to just load up consistently. I like the pop Smith brings on the 4th line. I want to see what Ras can do on faceoffs, and he has a backup C to help him.

Ryan- Larkin- Mantha
Bert- Fabbri- Zadina
Brome-Ras- Namestikov
Smith- Glenny- Erne

Hronek- Nemeth
Djoos- DDK
Stretcher- Merril

PP

Ryan-Larkin-Ras (net)
Hronek- Mantha

Djoos- Zadina

Djoos- Ryan

Hronek- Zadina

You'd have to switch Ryan to RW on the top line and move Mantha to LW, but it could work.

I wouldn't mind a top 6 of

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Zadina
Mantha-Fabbri/Namestnikov-Ryan

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Adam Erne was our 2nd best forward last night. He was hustling out there, playing the body, grinding it out. I would not take him out of the lineup to insert another soft/skill guy, we clearly have enough of that.
We have enough soft guys sure, but do we have enough skill guys?

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
The one thing I'll give Fabbri is that he worked hard. He scrapped along the boards.
Mantha was in coast mode.
"Get me the puck and I'll shoot hard and maybe even put it on net."
He did work hard. I'm not sure if this will make sense, but it was like he was working too hard. He reminded me of a point guard driving the lane with no idea what he's going to do with the ball, and ends up taking one of those out-of-control charging fouls. Skating hard with the puck just for the sake of skating hard does nothing. I kinda got that vibe from Zadina a little bit too.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
We have enough soft guys sure, but do we have enough skill guys?

In terms of forwards with the most skill on the team:
-Larkin, Mantha, Zadina, Namestnikov, Ryan, Fabbri, Bertuzzi are all pretty "skilled"
-Gagner to a lesser extent has "skill".
-Brome, from what I saw, has a grit/skill cokbination

The point I was making is that Erne should not be pulled from the roster because he plays a hard/physical/grinding game. Not sure who else on the roster is interested in playing that way. Glendening plays a decent grinding game. Helm can grind...Bertuzzi plays a grinding game, but he has the skill to produce as well.

Honestly, I'd like to put Givani in the lineup, at least he will compete and put in the effort because he knows he can't get by on skill alone. If Mantha has another game like he did yesterday, I will be extremely concerned that this guy just doesn't care enough. He's making his money, so he's cool with coasting. I know it's been 1 game, so there is time. I just am annoyed that I waited over 300 days to watch a Wings game, and that is the effort that Mantha (and Larkin, and Namestnikov, and Fabbri, and Zadina) decided to play with.

These guys need to pick up their intensity and stop being content with losing. I don't know if I can stomach another year that was as bad as last season. I don't care if we lose, but lose with passion. This is he NHL, I have no time for when Mantha decides to just coast all game.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Ryan- Larkin- Mantha
Bert- Fabbri- Zadina
Brome-Ras- Namestikov
Smith- Glenny- Erne

Hronek- Nemeth
Djoos- DDK
Stretcher- Merril

PP

Ryan-Larkin-Ras (net)
Hronek- Mantha

Djoos- Zadina

Djoos- Ryan

Hronek- Zadina
Swap Zadina and Mantha and I can dig it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think theres some overreaction going on in here. The wings havent played in a year and theyre playing a contender in the east. That Carolina team was good enough to beat the Leafs with a zamboni driver in net. Its gonna take some game reps for things like the PP to look a bit better though

With that being said, the wings are still bad obviously and its gonna be a long year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Blashill once had a system, that we went to playoffs with him.

He also had better players. Co-incidence?

It's the player material.

Player. Material.

Not Blashill.
This team get worse the day Datsyuk left but it's also getting worsening every year since Babcock left.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I missed the beginning of the game, did we end up rolling with the projected lines?

bert-Larkin-Mantha
Nam-fabbri-Zadina
Brome-filp-gagner
Nielsen-glen-erne

Nem-Hronek
DD-Merrill
Staal-Stecher

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
They're just not cohesive.

The guy with the puck is playing in his own bubble. There's no instinct about where his mates are or what he should be expected to do.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Ryan is ready, Blashill has an interesting choice to make.
I believe he'll move Namestnikov to a new line, but where?
For a winger? Gagner maybe? Nielsen maybe?
The other option is moving Namestnikov to C. But then Fabbri's still got to move.

I know it’s one game, but I did not like Fabbri at the 2C slot at all.

I’d rather run Vlad there and bump Fabbri down to 3rd line winger.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Ryan- Larkin- Mantha
Bert- Fabbri- Zadina
Brome-Ras- Namestikov
Smith- Glenny- Erne

Hronek- Nemeth
Djoos- DDK
Stretcher- Merril

PP

Ryan-Larkin-Ras (net)
Hronek- Mantha

Djoos- Zadina

Djoos- Ryan

Hronek- Zadina

No. God no. Nooooooo!!!!!

Namestnikov was good defensively on his line despite the fact that Fabbri was doing all he could to get the other team the puck. He's a career 44% faceoff guy but that's a whopping 30% better than Fabbri was. Get the f***ing guy off center.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

That's what I hope will happen. Brome looked pretty good on the boards. I'd like to see how he does with Zadina and Namestnikov.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Blashill... like a lot of coaches... has his guys. Right now, Fabbri is one of his guys.
I'm guessing Namestnikov drops to L3.
Gagner might get bumped out of the lineup too.

Just for kicks I wanted to see if Ryan/Namestnikov played together last year. They did. for 18 minutes.

I think Blash needs to show patience with Fabbri at C.
I don't think Namestnikov will be much better there. So bouncing around and refusing to settle? Before you know it, Filppula will be your 2C again.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I missed the beginning of the game, did we end up rolling with the projected lines?

bert-Larkin-Mantha
Nam-fabbri-Zadina
Brome-filp-gagner
Nielsen-glen-erne

Nem-Hronek
DD-Merrill
Staal-Stecher

Hey guys.....can anyone confirm if these lines are correct? Obviously lines can change mid game, but is this what they went with to start the game?

StevieY Fan

Oct 10, 2006
I'm done with Nielsen. I'm sure he's a great guy/leader and all that but he provides next to nothing on the ice.

Fabbri was atrocious in the face off circle. But so was most everyone else it seemed.

Once Larkins line goes off the ice I find myself saying "ok how much longer until they come on again?". It's only one game but I would not be upset if Blashill did some line juggling if no one else can find chemistry. Spread the wealth around a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad