GDT: Game 1: Carolina Bunch of Jerks @ Detroit Red Wings - 1/14/2021 - 7:30 PM - FSD

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
my obervations

good
  • liked what i saw from Brome. would like to see more of him in a top 6 role if possible
  • thought the 1st line was slightly better as the game went on but also not saying much
  • Greiss was strong, but bernie wasnt the rough spot last year, either.
  • defensively we were OK but not great
ugly
  • lack of generating offense
  • Namestnikov, Fabbri, Stetcher, kind of underwhelmed me. id add zadina but i think he was a step ahead of his linemates at times. could be an issue if they cant catch up to what he wants to do
  • puck movement could be an issue from the back end IMO.
  • PP is going to be ugly
  • would like to see Rasmussen and hopefully Bobby Ryan come in now, and remove two of Erne / Nielsen / Filppula..
  • idk why but i thought we would come out more energetic.. must be that 10 month rust.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When looking on Natural Stat Trick's expected Goals For/Against:

Best forward line 5-on-5:
Nielsen - Glendening - Erne

Worst forward line 5-on-5:
Namestnikov - Fabbri - Zadina

Best Defenceman
Hronek

Worst Defenceman
Staal

I would bench Namestnikov and Filppula for Rasmussen and Ryan.

Staal on the pressbox and Djoos in. Also Djoos on the power-play, instead of DeKeyser.

Reactions: MBH
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Another thing I'd like to see is a loaded up PP#1. If you look around the league, most teams load up their top PP unit and give them the majority of the PP time. I wanna see us load up the 1st PP with Bert, Larkin, Mantha, and the Filips.

Zadina got a whopping 53 seconds of PP time, that cannot happen..Dekeyser played 2:18 on the PP, meanwhile Hronek played 1:42.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
my obervations

good
  • liked what i saw from Brome. would like to see more of him in a top 6 role if possible
  • thought the 1st line was slightly better as the game went on but also not saying much
  • Greiss was strong, but bernie wasnt the rough spot last year, either.
  • defensively we were OK but not great
ugly
  • lack of generating offense
  • Namestnikov, Fabbri, Stetcher, kind of underwhelmed me. id add zadina but i think he was a step ahead of his linemates at times. could be an issue if they cant catch up to what he wants to do
  • puck movement could be an issue from the back end IMO.
  • PP is going to be ugly
  • would like to see Rasmussen and hopefully Bobby Ryan come in now, and remove two of Erne / Nielsen / Filppula..
  • idk why but i thought we would come out more energetic.. must be that 10 month rust.

Adam Erne was our 2nd best forward last night. He was hustling out there, playing the body, grinding it out. I would not take him out of the lineup to insert another soft/skill guy, we clearly have enough of that.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Blashill once had a system, that we went to playoffs with him.

He also had better players. Co-incidence?

It's the player material.

Player. Material.

Not Blashill.

they were also notably worse than the previous year that year despite improving on paper as far as the roster went

and that was with a team where all the vets were pretty much fed up with Babcock so it should have been pretty easy to do better under those circumstances

Blashill sucks as an NHL coach,always has,always will

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Another thing I'd like to see is a loaded up PP#1. If you look around the league, most teams load up their top PP unit and give them the majority of the PP time. I wanna see us load up the 1st PP with Bert, Larkin, Mantha, and the Filips.

Zadina got a whopping 53 seconds of PP time, that cannot happen..Dekeyser played 2:18 on the PP, meanwhile Hronek played 1:42.

Zadina is not getting 1st unit PP time, if there's Bert-Larkin-Mantha healthy/fresh and the net-front guy (Ryan, Rasmussen, when both scratched, Namestnikov). Or you want Mantha net-front, and Zadina taking his place at left half-wall?

DeKeyser is definitely the wrong point-man for 1st PP. Maybe he is just stunting for Djoos.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
they were also notably worse than the previous year that year despite improving on paper as far as the roster went

and that was with a team where all the vets were pretty much fed up with Babcock so it should have been pretty easy to do better under those circumstances

Blashill sucks as an NHL coach,always has,always will

Scotty Bowman would have sucked with this roster Blashill has had since Pavel left. Always would.

But he's your scapegoat. The easy one. You have right for that.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Liked what I saw from Brome. Didn't like DDK on the PP unit let alone the 1st unit. Get Zadina more PP time. Have him play on the point if need be.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Zadina is not getting 1st unit PP time, if there's Bert-Larkin-Mantha healthy/fresh and the net-front guy (Ryan, Rasmussen, when both scratched, Namestnikov). Or you want Mantha net-front, and Zadina taking his place at left half-wall?

DeKeyser is definitely the wrong point-man for 1st PP. Maybe he is just stunting for Djoos.

Sure, try a few combinations and see what works. I'd be fine with Bert-Mantha-Larkin and then Hronek and Zadina on the point.

Or put Zadina on PP 1 over Bertuzzi. Zadina has a better shot, better hands and better offensive instincts than Bertuzzi. Try something like

Larkin-Ryan-Zadina
Hronek-Mantha

or

Larkin-Ryan-Mantha
Hronek-Zadina

or

Larkin-Mantha-Ryan
Hronek-Zadina

I just want Dekeyser off both PP units altogether. I honestly, for the life of me, cannot understand the thought process of putting Dekeyser on our top unit. He's barely played in the last couple years, and has never shown the ability to run a PP, so why the hell do they think all of a sudden he'll be able to do it? It'S foolish....

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That was about what I was expecting off of the layoff. The lack of true preseason games really hurt. We looked sluggish and didn't anticipate the play too well. I am reserving judgment until game six or seven though it is hardly a surprise that puck retrieval and movement of the puck from the back end were an issue. We were caved in all night on the forecheck.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon

Dekeyser has poor mobility, little creativity and an average shot at best. He shouldn't be the guy there. Give him more 5v5 minutes where he provides much more value.

I wouldn't mind seeing Djoos on the top PP or even be bold and try 5 forwards. I mean, why not, everyone knows the team is going to be bad!

Ryan
Zadina Bertuzzi Mantha
Larkin

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
This just in:

Being overwhelmed by a massive talent gap in = no engagement
That's why they have to outwork their opponents every night. They're less talented than everyone. Can't have a night where the competitiveness isn't there. Yes, it's their first game in a long time so hopefully they won't be this flat many times.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think Carolina and Tampa are a full class above of the rest of our division, and we're obviously the worst team, so nothing really jumped out at me as a major "concern" from yesterday's game. I expected to be dominated, however on a positive note, I think we were pretty damn good in the second period, and easily could've gone into the 3rd up 2-1 with the chances we had.

The goal we conceded early though might have been more 19/20 Red Wings than any goal the 19/20 Wings ever gave up, lol, that was so bad by literally everyone who was on the ice.

Greiss was solid overall though IMO. We aren't going to be anywhere near as horrific as last season. Might still finish last in the league, but we'll be really close with the bottom 5-8 teams in the league.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Fabbri and Mantha were disgustingly horrendous. Fabbri was allways falling on ice and losing every puck battle, Mantha was lazy af. Change second line to Brome-Namestnikov-Zadina, dont know what to do with top line, they were all bad, but Mantha was something else. Also what the f*** why was Zadina with Nielsen and Erne and 50 sec on PP total?

Reactions: Duane Smith

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
With the draft the way it is this year, I'm willing more than ever to move that pick for an established young player like Pierre-Luc Dubois. Throwing an offer doesn't hurt our rebuild imo, giving coughing up a 1st overall pick possibly(this year). * I've read there's been GM's calling about Barkov who I'd be much more interested in but same article said Florida hasn't hinted they're interested, just that teams are calling and asking about him.*

Anyways, Wings need talent up the middle, big move here provides that (long-term hopefully), and the players in bold are players I'd bring in as regular starters.

Trade:
- Red Wings trade their 1st round pick, LW/RW Robbie Fabbri, LW/RW Mathias Brome, C Joe Veleno, LHD Dennis Cholowski.

- Blue Jackets trade C Pierre-Luc Dubois

Roster: 20 - 21
Tyler Bertuzzi – Dylan Larkin – Anthony Mantha
Filip Zadina – Pierre-Luc Dubois Bobby Ryan
Vladislav Namestnikov – Michael Rasmussen – Sam Gagner
Adam Erne – Luke Glendening – Givani Smith

* Darren Helm, LW/RW
* Valtteri Filppula, C
* ` Frans Nielson, C
* ` Evgeny Svechnikov, LW/RW

Patrik Nemeth – Filip Hronek
Danny DeKeyser – Troy Stecher
Jon Merrill – Gustav Lindstrom

* Marc Staal LHD
* ` Alex Biega RHD
* ` Christian Djoos LHD

Thomas Greiss
Jonathan Bernier
* ` Calvin Pickard
* ` Kevin Boyle

Just dreaming but again, offensively, this team is tough to watch. Seemed slow. Weren't physical. Idk, again. Dreaming.

Last edited:

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I think it's good that being a Captain doesn't necessarily correlate to scoring a ton a goals/having a ton of points. Obviously it helps, but I think it's more about work ethic.

Mark Streit used to be the captain of the Islanders. Dustin Brown, the Kings. Giodarno, the Flames. I think Larkin more falls into this category.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
With the draft the way it is this year, I'm willing more than ever to move that pick for an established young player like Pierre-Luc Dubois. Throwing an offer doesn't hurt our rebuild imo, giving coughing up a 1st overall pick possibly(this year). * I've read there's been GM's calling about Barkov who I'd be much more interested in but same article said Florida hasn't hinted they're interested, just that teams are calling and asking about him.*

Anyways, Wings need talent up the middle, big move here provides that (long-term hopefully), and the players in bold are players I'd bring in as regular starters.

Trade:
- Red Wings trade their 1st round pick, LW/RW Robbie Fabbri, LW/RW Mathias Brome, C Joe Veleno, LHD Dennis Cholowski.

- Blue Jackets trade C Pierre-Luc Dubois

Roster: 20 - 21
Tyler Bertuzzi – Dylan Larkin – Anthony Mantha
Filip Zadina – Pierre-Luc Dubois Bobby Ryan
Vladislav Namestnikov – Michael Rasmussen – Sam Gagner
Adam Erne – Luke Glendening – Givani Smith

* Darren Helm, LW/RW
* Valtteri Filppula, C
* ` Frans Nielson, C
* ` Evgeny Svechnikov, LW/RW

Patrik Nemeth – Filip Hronek
Danny DeKeyser – Troy Stecher
Jon Merrill – Gustav Lindstrom

* Marc Staal LHD
* ` Alex Biega RHD
* ` Christian Djoos LHD

Thomas Greiss
Jonathan Bernier
* ` Calvin Pickard
* ` Kevin Boyle

Just dreaming but again, offensively, this team is tough to watch. Seemed slow. Weren't physical. Idk, again. Dreaming.

I agree it would be great and I’d trade our first but...

1. I don’t think PLD wants to come here.

2. 22 year old leader of a consistent playoff team requesting a trade is not a very good sign imo.

Reactions: Snuggs

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Adam Erne was our 2nd best forward last night. He was hustling out there, playing the body, grinding it out. I would not take him out of the lineup to insert another soft/skill guy, we clearly have enough of that.

he was better then normal but didnt do anything overly impressive. he did his 4th line role, it was nice but would rather see someone who might bring more. I did say bring in Rasmussen and Bobby Ryan. There's no reason to think anyone would rather see Erne in the lineup over either of those two and im not a Rasmussen fan.

But unlike most here, ill let you have your opinions instead of bashing them.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I got a good laugh last night when the Red Wings twitter account posted that it was Blashill's 400th game.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
he was better then normal but didnt do anything overly impressive. he did his 4th line role, it was nice but would rather see someone who might bring more. I did say bring in Rasmussen and Bobby Ryan. There's no reason to think anyone would rather see Erne in the lineup over either of those two and im not a Rasmussen fan.

But unlike most here, ill let you have your opinions instead of bashing them.

Yeah I agree, I'm not saying he looked like Ovechkin out there, but at least his compete level was consistent from shift to shift and he looked involved. I honestly can't say the same about any of our forwards other than Brome.

Down the line I'd be ok if Erne was healthy scratched from time to time, but like you said, he played his 4th line role well. He can play a hard game and be physical, so I'm ok with Erne getting 8-10 minutes per game in a limited role. I just don't think you can scratch Erne for tomorrow's game. In my mind that would be a terrible message to the team.

If we were scratching players based on 1 game, Mantha would be sitting next game. In 19 minutes of ice time he literally did nothing productive. He was floating, wasn't moving his feet, wasn't competing. To make it worse, he had a couple unreal looks to get the puck on net, yet he looked for some bs fancy pass. I dunno, maybe he thinks he is a better playmaker than he is.

Reactions: Duane Smith

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
When looking on Natural Stat Trick's expected Goals For/Against:

Best forward line 5-on-5:
Nielsen - Glendening - Erne

Worst forward line 5-on-5:
Namestnikov - Fabbri - Zadina

Best Defenceman
Hronek

Worst Defenceman
Staal

I would bench Namestnikov and Filppula for Rasmussen and Ryan.

Staal on the pressbox and Djoos in. Also Djoos on the power-play, instead of DeKeyser.

That's about what I saw with my own eyes - and about what I expected.
Our weak players are about as good as anyone's weak players.
The problem is, our weak players stretch up high into the lineup.
Zadina needs experience, quality players to help him get where he wants to go. Instead, he's playing with two hand-me-downs, one of them playing C for the first time at the NHL level.
Probably only Dekeyser needed a nice, long camp and exhibition season more than Fabbri.

On that 4th line, however, Nielsen looked pretty weak. It was Glendening (faceoffs) and Erne who made it work.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Fabbri and Mantha were disgustingly horrendous. Fabbri was allways falling on ice and losing every puck battle, Mantha was lazy af. Change second line to Brome-Namestnikov-Zadina, dont know what to do with top line, they were all bad, but Mantha was something else. Also what the f*** why was Zadina with Nielsen and Erne and 50 sec on PP total?

The one thing I'll give Fabbri is that he worked hard. He scrapped along the boards.
Mantha was in coast mode.
"Get me the puck and I'll shoot hard and maybe even put it on net."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad