GDT: Gambling Industry vs Waste Management - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Well said. I agree with you - and I've never thought much of Andy Greene as a captain. I'm really not sure who this team would listen and respond to at this point. No sense in making Hall a captain. The main candidates - Hughes, Nico et al, are just too young. I would think that whatever he's had to say, he's said to Severson - but I don't know if Subban or Vats would listen to anyone.

Palms? Don't think he really has that cachet with the lockerroom, but maybe.
Trav? I think you get exactly what you have with Greene. Nice guy, not going to call anyone out.

Hmm. Wonder if there is a Lou-esque move here somehow - bringing in some guy who is at the downside of his career - and is just hanging on - won't contribute on the scoresheet - but brings respectability... sort of like what Patty did for us for a year or two. maybe on a bad contract we could eat...

You kinda get the feeling that with coaching and someone to add a rudder to this thing - that the talent on the ice certainly *could* produce a hell of alot better than it does.

Hell - if there was a Brind'amour -ish ex player looking for a coaching gig, I'd give him an interim tag and let him run the rest of the season.

Right now, the only one that might be a candidate is Coleman. I don't see Nico as that fiery type of captain. And no before anyone says it I don't mean someone who likes to yell a lot.

Possibly Hughes? I don't think age should be a factor at all in the captaincy. If a vet has issues listening to a younger player get them out. I know it hurts your pride that someone younger than you is the captain but that stuff happens all the time in life (where people younger are higher up in the corporate ladder), suck it up or get out.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
Well said. I agree with you - and I've never thought much of Andy Greene as a captain. I'm really not sure who this team would listen and respond to at this point. No sense in making Hall a captain. The main candidates - Hughes, Nico et al, are just too young. I would think that whatever he's had to say, he's said to Severson - but I don't know if Subban or Vats would listen to anyone.

I get really strong leadership/captain vibes from Coleman. That being said, I honestly think the next captain of the Devils will be Nico. Whether it's as early as next year or they go with 3 A's, I think he'll be captain of this team for a long while.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Right now, the only one that might be a candidate is Coleman. I don't see Nico as that fiery type of captain. And no before anyone says it I don't mean someone who likes to yell a lot.

Possibly Hughes? I don't think age should be a factor at all in the captaincy. If a vet has issues listening to a younger player get them out. I know it hurts your pride that someone younger than you is the captain but that stuff happens all the time in life (where people younger are higher up in the corporate ladder), suck it up or get out.
If we are talking next year then no way does Hughes get the captaincy.

I like the idea of Nico, I think he plays the game the right way, he get's a lot responsibility on the ice , I think he has some charisma, and we have seen some fiestiness from him. But I do wonder if he is still a bit young.

I could very much see Coleman in that role, and given his age is probably the better choice at the moment.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'd deal Greene and simply not name a captain until one emerges organically next year. With the current mental state of the team and tumultuous coaching situation that won't get fully resolved for some time, I wouldn't even think about a captain until that person makes his presence known well into next season. The team is headed for a reset in a variety of ways anyway. Not a total rebuild, but a reset.

I like Nico a lot, but I don't see him as captain down the line and he doesn't strike me as the type who would want it anyway. Perhaps Coleman as a bridge during these years, maybe Hughes many years from now. Hughes seems to have a competitive spirit and work ethic, envious skill we've yet to see fully uncovered, and an infectious personality his teammates could value and appreciate.

I think the most effective captains have more to do with inspiring the team with what they do out on the ice than what they say. I think Hughes will ultimately meet that criteria, and I can absolutely see him being one to call the team out collectively. He doesn't strike me as shy regarding inward critique, in fact not too shy about anything so far except delivering hits, which I would expect at this stage.

He's barely scratched the surface in this league as a young 18yo so we'll have to see how this all plays out. Looks like a star in the making to me though once this team resets from the funk of the Hynes era. Let's just hope it's not a more protracted funk of the Shero era as he's still got some serious work ahead.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I can't look at anything that's happened since the beginning of last year and think anyone on this roster is captain material, Coleman is the closest but few teams have role players as captains - he's probably more of a lead by example guy anyway, whereas this room probably needs some in-your-face tough love.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'd deal Greene and simply not name a captain until one emerges organically next year. With the current mental state of the team and tumultuous coaching situation that won't get fully resolved for some time, I wouldn't even think about a captain until that person makes his presence known well into next season. The team is headed for a reset in a variety of ways anyway. Not a total rebuild, but a reset.

I like Nico a lot, but I don't see him as captain down the line and he doesn't strike me as the type who would want it anyway. Perhaps Coleman as a bridge during these years, maybe Hughes many years from now. Hughes seems to have a competitive spirit and work ethic, envious skill we've yet to see fully uncovered, and an infectious personality his teammates could value and appreciate.

I think the most effective captains have more to do with inspiring the team with what they do out on the ice than what they say. I think Hughes will ultimately meet that criteria, and I can absolutely see him being one to call the team out collectively. He doesn't strike me as shy regarding inward critique, in fact not too shy about anything so far except delivering hits, which I would expect at this stage.

He's barely scratched the surface in this league as a young 18yo so we'll have to see how this all plays out. Looks like a star in the making to me though once this team resets from the funk of the Hynes era. Let's just hope it's not a more protracted funk of the Shero era as he's still got some serious work ahead.

Yea I could see them going with Coleman and then Hughes.

Reactions: mtnet

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
we know nothing about this team’s leadership and what goes on in the room, so none of us are qualified to have an opinion. drew stafford stopped practice last year to give a speech on the ice, that’s as close as we’ve come

yea yea, we should just stop posting on this board altogether.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Wearing a "C" doesn't mean you have to give rah rah speeches and sound bites. There are different ways to lead, and I wouldn't expect somebody like Greene, who seems like a quiet person by nature, to do something that's not in his personality.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
yea yea, we should just stop posting on this board altogether.

i don’t think there’s anything wrong with posting about observable hockey topics. there’s also nothing wrong with posting about things like leadership, just know that it’s based on nothing

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I agree that Coleman is the closest we got, and Nico would be a great candidate in a few years...

Understandably, we can only judge by sound bytes, demeanor and behavior on the ice and watching Behind the Glass specials - so, yeah, perhaps our perception is flawed and Miles Wood is the brains behind the operation.

Obviously, though - guys like Coleman come to play most every night and give it their all. He's a great example of a guy who may not have all of the talent the other guys have but who's attitude makes him one of the best players on our team.

Landeskog and McDavid were named captain at 19, so maybe Jack is ready next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad