Gallagher should be the Captain

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
This run without Gallagher just tells me how much more I think he should be captain. Weber is god awful out there. Not sure you want a captain playing like that.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-16_21-14-48.png

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gallagher Works hard and scores goals sure, can't be denied.

I still get the feeling that he's a whiny little prick that would hit on my nerves more often than not if we were on the same team. Looks very negative, complains go the refs all the time, swings his stick around when he misses the net with his weak ass shot... And that's not talking about how he can't make a pass and shoots from stupid angles all the time.
The refs hate him. He's not the right choice for captain.

Great player. Give him the A all day long. A shining example of what hard work can do for you. But he shouldn't have the C.

Reactions: sandviper

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Gallagher doesn't have many more years in him. Hopefully we get a new? management next year that will bring young leadership.

Gallagher is 28 years old and played 258 of 271 games in the last 4 years. That is 95%. Even if he miss the remaining 15 games, he will have played 90% of the team games in the last 4 seasons.

He should still be good for many years.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Great player. Give him the A all day long. A shining example of what hard work can do for you. But he shouldn't have the C.

Yeah, he’s not popular with officials which is a killer for the captain. I recall last season, during a scrum with officials, you can read one of the linesman’s lips telling Gally to STFU and pointed back towards the Canadiens bench. This wasn’t a long conversation either... Gally maybe only got a chance to say a word or two and was shut down.

Yeah, I know all players are told to shut up, but I’m sure it’s a heck of a lot more frequent with Gally.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, he’s not popular with officials which is a killer for the captain. I recall last season, during a scrum with officials, you can read one of the linesman’s lips telling Gally to STFU and pointed back towards the Canadiens bench. This wasn’t a long conversation either... Gally maybe only got a chance to say a word or two and was shut down.

Yeah, I know all players are told to shut up, but I’m sure it’s a heck of a lot more frequent with Gally.
He never draws a penalty. Even when it's blatant. And he's called for everything.

He'd be a horrible choice.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010

the C isn’t for the refs it’s for that f***ing dressing room. Gallagher’s work ethic is legendary, putting a C on him would automatically make everyone step up the work ethic.I gurantee it. f*** the refs. Having the C on he would probably draw a few more that deserve to be called. There is no other option he’s our captain.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
the C isn’t for the refs it’s for that f***ing dressing room. Gallagher’s work ethic is legendary, putting a C on him would automatically make everyone step up the work ethic.I gurantee it. f*** the refs. Having the C on he would probably draw a few more that deserve to be called. There is no other option he’s our captain.
The captain is the guy who deals with the refs. It’s more than just a symbol for the guys in the room.

Gallagher plays like a king but he whines like a bitch. He’s not the right guy.

Guy Lafleur was the best player of his generation but he wasn’t captain material either. Nobody thought any less of him because of it.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
The captain is the guy who deals with the refs. It’s more than just a symbol for the guys in the room.

Guy Lafleur was the best player of his generation but he wasn’t captain material either. Nobody thought any less of him because of it.

Agree to disagree. Gallagher doesn’t whine like a bitch he just takes the most punishment. It’s a bit of height bias. He’s short so people think he’s a baby. If he’s 6’4 with a beard he’s a leader. There is no other option for captain on this team IMO. With a C on his chest the refs are going to respect him a little more and since he goes the hardest and has the most penalty draw ability then we could use an extra few calls.

also using Guy Lafleur is a bad reference IMO. The teams he was on and the ones Gallagher are on are not remotely the same.

I get ur theory tho. caufield then? I don’t think Suzuki or KK have the personality for captain. Romanov plays hard, physical type, responsible player. Maybe him?

Reactions: SnapVirus

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

He “whines” when he gets cross checked 5 times in a row in front of the net with no call.

Weber is only captain because he’s stoic. Like Pacioretty and Gionta. Safe choices because they aren’t overtly emotional. It’s all to appease the refs who think they are far more important than they are.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He never draws a penalty. Even when it's blatant. And he's called for everything.

He'd be a horrible choice.
...or maybe refs should call the game fairly instead of playing favorites...Dale Hunter was Captain in Washington despite being, well let's just say it, a dirty player at times...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I’m not knocking Weber to the ground here. I still think he’s an effective player. There are areas of his game I’m not happy with. He’s less physical than he used to be due to a lack of mobility as he ages is the obvious one. I didn’t like his response to the Dube hit on KK as well. But mostly it’s just due to a decline in play. He’s been touted as a great leader for a long time and I believe it’s probably mostly cliche. Why cause he’s a 6’4 Canadian D man who has a beard? From all accounts he’s a very quiet leader, and the media loves to say he leads by example. Well I’m not so certain the examples he’s portraying is very leader like and if you are not very vocal I feel like like the C has probably lost its effectiveness on the team as a whole.

Now Gallagher, he arguably is the most dedicated player in the game on and off the ice. His work ethic is legendary and I just think if you put a C on him it will make players especially the young ones work that much harder. He’s not scared to hit get hit or even fight. He’s got the most heart on the team and considering he’s the longest serving hab (other than price) I just think it’s time to switch up leadership. He 100% deserves it.

Now I know that can really affect relationships to make a switch up that significant on a team. I think it’s truly the best thing for the team and it might light a fire in Weber much like it did to Brown in LA. He’s played better hockey since summer of 2016. Now I’m not totally sold on this idea as I know it can cause a lot of tension. So before I’m 100% sold on the idea Id like to hear some other opinions of fellow Habs fans. Maybe mid season is not the best time, maybe off season is better? Maybe I’m out to lunch and Weber should continue as capatain?

I think there is a respectful way to do it, saying that as Weber ages we just want him to focus on his game and not worry about the duties of captain etc etc.

Bullshit, ask anyone about Weber's work ethic, it isn't disputed. Webs wears a letter for team Canada with that massive roster of leaders.. pretty sure he's the most capable in this dressing room. You think because Gallagher runs around taking dumb penalties, and whining .. he's more deserving?

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Bullshit, ask anyone about Weber's work ethic, it isn't disputed. Webs wears a letter for team Canada with that massive roster of leaders.. pretty sure he's the most capable in this dressing room. You think because Gallagher runs around taking dumb penalties, and whining .. he's more deserving?

yes I do. Weber takes bad penalties as well. Also Weber is really bad at hockey now. Sun has set on him my friend

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agree to disagree. Gallagher doesn’t whine like a bitch he just takes the most punishment. It’s a bit of height bias. He’s short so people think a baby. If he’s 6’4 with a beard he’s a leader. There is no other option for captain on this team IMO. With a C on his chest the refs are going to respect him a little more and since he goes the hardest and has the most penalty draw ability then we could use an extra few calls.
A few things here.

First, your "bias" comment is misplaced. I love Gallagher. Always have. At one point I thought he'd be a great captain too. But he complains non-stop to the refs and they've tuned him out.

Different players lead in different ways. He doesn't need a C on his chest to lead us. His play speaks for itself. Let somebody else do the speaking for the team to the refs. Because, no, the refs aren't going to respect him more if he's wearing the C on his jersey.
also using Guy Lafleur is a bad reference IMO. The teams he was on and the ones Gallagher are on are not remotely the same.
It doesn't matter if the teams were the same. Lafleur was the best player in the league, French Canadian and had the keys to the city. However, he was not captain material. He would smoke between periods, didn't follow systems and wasn't really a guy they wanted setting the example for the others.

He led in his own way though. On the scoreboard.
I get ur theory tho. caufield then? I don’t think Suzuki or KK have the personality for captain. Romanov plays hard, physical type, responsible player. Maybe him?
We'll see. I don't think Gallagher's the guy but if Weber goes maybe he gets it by default. Dannault might be a candidate. Petry another...

He “whines” when he gets cross checked 5 times in a row in front of the net with no call.
Unfortunately, it's not the only time he wines.

And you don't have to tell me that he gets unfair treatment from the refs. I totally agree he does. But that's all the more reason not to make him captain.

...or maybe refs should call the game fairly instead of playing favorites...Dale Hunter was Captain in Washington despite being, well let's just say it, a dirty player at times...
Agreed.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

In the spirit of this thread, I do agree with you. Should he be captain? Yes. Even before Weber was made captain, given that Gallagher was a HABS developed player and already a leader, he was arguably more deserving. Nobody will ever dispute he always brings it.

And yes, F*** the refs and their “game management”.

However, the fact remains that Gally and the refs don’t jive. It also kinda goes without saying Gallagher probably isn’t the most popular among other opposing players. Yes, F what they think, but he’d have to deal with other captains, etc.

I mean, this is just the old boys club mentality and conservatism of the NHL. They aren’t much for change and breaking the status quo. The team wants a company man, a stoic leader. 10/10 times I would have picked Gallagher, though more for reasons that he’s a Habs lifer and deserves it. That said, I understand WHY he wasn’t made captain.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Well there’s no-one else after Weber and Gallagher anyway. No-one even comes from the org except a few average under-agers.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
If I was GM I'd cut a deal with Seattle to take Weber.

You name Gally as captain and then sign Dougie Hamilton with Weber's money.

I think Weber might be movable with his salary coming down a lot next year while his cap hit being high. A team like Arizona might be interested.

Make a deal with Seattle to have them take Price

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Players in the room know who the leaders are regardless of a stitched letters on a jersey. Makes no difference in the room.
Players follow leaders regardless of a C or A on a jersey.
Its leadership they follow. Its not like the C gives you any more authority over any1 in a room. Respect is earned thru actions not a title.
The whole thing is overated. At all levels. All sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->