Gallagher should be the Captain

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Great, dont care. Pacioretty was 2nd for a while, didnt make him captain material.
Well ok but then you obviously have some strong bias against him if you also call him a 2nd line winger. 4th in the league for ES goal in 4 years, that some hate blindness right there.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Gallaghers a grinder that has been a devoted Therrien and Julien fanatic. Hes not the answer. The Habs need actual leadership. The Habs need a guy that will tell the boys they suck today and that he was going to carry them to victory.

Not a fkn 2nd line winger that takes weak shot on net, whines to the refs and loves his coach.
This is such a dumb take. Gallagher would bust his ass every second he’s on the ice if there was a coat rack standing behind the bench.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Jean Beliveau was the last good captain this team has had. Ever since its either going to the next vet in line or some kind of grinder like Gainey, Keane, Carbo or Gionta.
Turgeon was OK, as was Saku. The one guy that made a good C was Kovy, if only while Saku was out, he elevated his play during that time. Wasn't Sid the Kid made Captain before he'd even played as single game with the Pens?

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Turgeon was OK, as was Saku. The one guy that made a good C was Kovy, if only while Saku was out, he elevated his play during that time. Wasn't Sid the Kid made Captain before he'd even played as single game with the Pens?

no he waited a couple years maybe even longer

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Weber nor Gallagher should be captain.

The captain should go to the next star player the Habs develop. Kotkaniemi, Caufield or Suzuki or someone else, or no one.

Weber and Gallagher are both made of the same stuff, good bc boys that look straight and dont do anything.

I need a captain with balls of steel and fire.
KK, Suzuki and Caufield strike you as balls of steel and fire guys?!

Balls of steel and fire to me are scrappy guys, drop the gloves, stick up for your team, lay down the hits and leave it all on the ice kind of guys and we don't have anyone that fits that description.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I think Weber is ok, very respected player around the league and in our room.

Gallagher will eventually be in the next couple seasons!

Reactions: BLONG7

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
They are comparable because they are both secondary players that score goal.

Enough with the random ass players. Working hard doenst make you eligible to be captain of the greatest franchise in hockey.

Up your standards.

you were talking about giving it to a prospect who hasn’t even attended an NHL training camp yet and I’m the one who needs up my standards? Stating that Gallagher just works hard is an underestimation. All these guys work hard, Gallagher is literally the hardest worker on and off the ice, that’s well known. Plus he has an ability to score goals few have, and he’s also not afraid to speak. He’s not a robot like many NHLers. He literally has almost every quality a captain should have. I know Bud Holloway personally who played 1 game with the Habs a few years ago. He said he couldn’t believe how well he was with all the younger players and call ups. Went out of his way to get to know everyone. He’s massively respected in that room

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
no he waited a couple years maybe even longer
Right. 3rd season.

Crosby debuted in the NHL during the 2005–06 season, recording 102 points and finishing as runner-up for the Calder Memorial Trophy as the NHL Rookie of the Year. At 18 years and 253 days, he is the youngest player to date to reach 100 points in an NHL season. By his second season, he led the NHL with 120 points to capture the Art Ross Trophy, becoming the youngest player and the only teenager to win a scoring title in any major North American sports league. That same season, Crosby won the Hart Memorial Trophy as the league's most valuable player (MVP) and the Lester B. Pearson Award for most outstanding player as judged by his peers. He started the 2007–08 season with the team's captaincy and subsequently led them to the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals, where they were defeated by the Detroit Red Wings in six games. The Penguins returned to the Finals against Detroit the following year and won in seven games; Crosby became the youngest captain in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Dondini

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think Weber is ok, very respected player around the league and in our room.

Gallagher will eventually be in the next couple seasons!
Behind the scenes might be more important about being a captain, than on ice performace these days. None of us know what Weber brings, because we are not in the room.
Teams have guys who wear the C, who have their team-mates respect for behavior on and off the ice....Big Shea is slowing down, but I really think everyone loves his leadership. I would think he and Gally already have good control in the room, no matter who wears the letter.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Have you ever criticized a coach? Pretty sure they know more than you right? Kind of a silly argument.

That analogy is nothing alike.
A coach can be criticized because you can see the strategy he employs on the ice, as well as the performance of the team.

A player's leadership is much harder to criticize because a big part of being a leader happens off-ice and on the bench, which is not something you have access to. Unless the player looks lazy and shows no heart on the ice, which is not the case for Weber, you can't criticize his leadership based on his hockey plays. For what happens off-ice, we can only take what we hear from players and people who interact with him, and only great things are said about Weber.

If you're gonna talk about silly arguments, how about you look at your own?

He’s been touted as a great leader for a long time and I believe it’s probably mostly cliche. Why cause he’s a 6’4 Canadian D man who has a beard?

:facepalm:

I didn’t like his response to the Dube hit on KK as well.

He literally grabs on Dube the moment the refs blow the whistle. Chariot is the one who should be criticized here since he was next to the hit, and didn't give much of a response. Weber was on the other side and going for Dube while the puck was free and the flames were attacking would've been a dumb idea.

From all accounts he’s a very quiet leader, and the media loves to say he leads by example. Well I’m not so certain the examples he’s portraying is very leader like and if you are not very vocal I feel like like the C has probably lost its effectiveness on the team as a whole.

The players are the ones who rave about Weber's leadership and respect. You know those people who actually interact with Weber...
Since when does being very vocal a necessity to being a good leader. You need to know how to communicate and get your point through. The amount of words you used doesn't matter.
Subban talks a whole lot more than Weber, and I doubt even you would take Subban over Weber as the captain.

Now Gallagher, he arguably is the most dedicated player in the game on and off the ice.

Source on Gallagher being the most dedicated player off the ice? I'm sure he is very dedicated, but so are Weber, Petry, Romanov, etc.
He gives his best every shift on the ice, but so does Weber. Have you ever seen a shift where Weber seems lazy?

Not only that, I’m sure he’s criticized food from restaurants he’s eaten without being a chef, and has a political opinion without being a politician or having formal political training.

Again a comparison that has nothing to do with what I said. The equivalent wouldn't be to criticize the chef's food, it would be to criticize the chef's leadership ability.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well ok but then you obviously have some strong bias against him if you also call him a 2nd line winger. 4th in the league for ES goal in 4 years, that some hate blindness right there.

No bias, I once called Brendan a top 10 RW a few years ago. He changed his style of play and now hes very much lost most of his effectiveness. He can score goals sure, so can a lot of players.

This is such a dumb take. Gallagher would bust his ass every second he’s on the ice if there was a coat rack standing behind the bench.

Its dumb because you cant read. Both statements arent even related.

Yeah Turgeon was here for 2 seconds, I liked Koivu but he never had that ability to carry the team and Kovalev had that for sure.

KK, Suzuki and Caufield strike you as balls of steel and fire guys?!

Balls of steel and fire to me are scrappy guys, drop the gloves, stick up for your team, lay down the hits and leave it all on the ice kind of guys and we don't have anyone that fits that description.

Nope, they dont have it either. KK maybe when he grows into his frame and realizes hes stronger than most, but i dont think so.

Dont have to drop the gloves, just have an ability to change a shift, change a game, lead by example by both working hard and achieving things.

Reactions: Edgy

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
you were talking about giving it to a prospect who hasn’t even attended an NHL training camp yet and I’m the one who needs up my standards? Stating that Gallagher just works hard is an underestimation. All these guys work hard, Gallagher is literally the hardest worker on and off the ice, that’s well known. Plus he has an ability to score goals few have, and he’s also not afraid to speak. He’s not a robot like many NHLers. He literally has almost every quality a captain should have. I know Bud Holloway personally who played 1 game with the Habs a few years ago. He said he couldn’t believe how well he was with all the younger players and call ups. Went out of his way to get to know everyone. He’s massively respected in that room
Bad at readint is the number one problem here.

Gallagher strikes me as a guy working really hard to be the Habs next captain. I dont like that.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
So this is speculation, and could very well be incorrect, but I feel like there's some tension between Gallagher and Weber right now.

I say that based on some cues like body language of one when something happens with the other. I've been kind of noticing it for a while.

Neither has played up to snuff, but if my gut feeling is right then I could see that being a bit of an issue in the room.

Weber won't have the C stripped until he retires, which despite everyone's hopes, may still be 3 or 4 years away. He could be traded, but I get the feeling that's not happening in this flat cap world.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So this is speculation, and could very well be incorrect, but I feel like there's some tension between Gallagher and Weber right now.

I say that based on some cues like body language of one when something happens with the other. I've been kind of noticing it for a while.

Neither has played up to snuff, but if my gut feeling is right then I could see that being a bit of an issue in the room.

Weber won't have the C stripped until he retires, which despite everyone's hopes, may still be 3 or 4 years away. He could be traded, but I get the feeling that's not happening in this flat cap world.
Gallagher has been going so hard after the C, its almost cringey. I wouldnt even be surprised if he was mad.

Theres also clearly a problem in the room, it seems as though theres a few guys that dont care for others.

Reactions: the

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Gallagher has been going so hard after the C, its almost cringey. I wouldnt even be surprised if he was mad.

Theres also clearly a problem in the room, it seems as though theres a few guys that dont care for others.
I't almost impossible to get 20+ people together and then everyone agrees with everyone. There will always be conflicts; trick is to manage them.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Bad at readint is the number one problem here.

Gallagher strikes me as a guy working really hard to be the Habs next captain. I dont like that.

well I guess he wanted to be the Habs next captain since junior hockey or even before. Cause that’s how he’s always played

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
I think that fans really overvalue the whole idea of a captain. Sure, sometimes you get guys like Messier who command such respect that they take the C to a different level but thats super rare.

I dont think it matters if Gallagher has a C or an A - or nothing - on his shoulder. He's still going to say what he has to say in the room and he's still going to do what he does on the ice. Price has clearly been one of the key leaders of this team for a decade or more and obviously doesnt have a letter on his jersey.

Weber is having a bad stretch on the ice right now, no doubt (the real question is whether he will bounce back) but i see no indication that has any effect on his ability to be a captain. Its not like the captain has to lead you in scoring or anything. Petry has been lights out this year but i highly doubt he'd want the captaincy for example.

Reactions: Dondini

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Therein lies the problem. Neither one can call the other out since they're both are struggling this season but Weber's struggles have had a bigger impact on the team, one could argue. He's supposed to be our rock on the defense and he's been rather porous one this season.

Reactions: Canadienna

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Gallagher Works hard and scores goals sure, can't be denied.

I still get the feeling that he's a whiny little prick that would hit on my nerves more often than not if we were on the same team. Looks very negative, complains go the refs all the time, swings his stick around when he misses the net with his weak ass shot... And that's not talking about how he can't make a pass and shoots from stupid angles all the time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I still get the feeling that he's a whiny little prick that would hit on my nerves more often than not if we were on the same team. Looks very negative, complains go the refs all the time, swings his stick around when he misses the net with his weak ass shot... And that's not talking about how he can't make a pass and shoots from stupid angles all the time.
Thats exactly how I feel about him too lol. Still cant believe how he lost it at the ref last year.

Reactions: MasterD

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void

Based off what I've heard from others, outside of the rink he's an obnoxious, rude and mean individual

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Gally wouldn't even be my choice. He doesn't lead by example. It would be like when the Islanders had 90 year old Doug Weight as their captain. He's not a good enough player to be a captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad