Gallagher should be the Captain

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I’m not knocking Weber to the ground here. I still think he’s an effective player. There are areas of his game I’m not happy with. He’s less physical than he used to be due to a lack of mobility as he ages is the obvious one. I didn’t like his response to the Dube hit on KK as well. But mostly it’s just due to a decline in play. He’s been touted as a great leader for a long time and I believe it’s probably mostly cliche. Why cause he’s a 6’4 Canadian D man who has a beard? From all accounts he’s a very quiet leader, and the media loves to say he leads by example. Well I’m not so certain the examples he’s portraying is very leader like and if you are not very vocal I feel like like the C has probably lost its effectiveness on the team as a whole.

Now Gallagher, he arguably is the most dedicated player in the game on and off the ice. His work ethic is legendary and I just think if you put a C on him it will make players especially the young ones work that much harder. He’s not scared to hit get hit or even fight. He’s got the most heart on the team and considering he’s the longest serving hab (other than price) I just think it’s time to switch up leadership. He 100% deserves it.

Now I know that can really affect relationships to make a switch up that significant on a team. I think it’s truly the best thing for the team and it might light a fire in Weber much like it did to Brown in LA. He’s played better hockey since summer of 2016. Now I’m not totally sold on this idea as I know it can cause a lot of tension. So before I’m 100% sold on the idea Id like to hear some other opinions of fellow Habs fans. Maybe mid season is not the best time, maybe off season is better? Maybe I’m out to lunch and Weber should continue as capatain?

I think there is a respectful way to do it, saying that as Weber ages we just want him to focus on his game and not worry about the duties of captain etc etc.

Reactions: NicRattlehead

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not knocking Weber to the ground here. I still think he’s an effective player. There are areas of his game I’m not happy with. He’s less physical than he used to be due to a lack of mobility as he ages is the obvious one. I didn’t like his response to the Dube hit on KK as well. But mostly it’s just due to a decline in play. He’s been touted as a great leader for a long time and I believe it’s probably mostly cliche. Why cause he’s a 6’4 Canadian D man who has a beard? From all accounts he’s a very quiet leader, and the media loves to say he leads by example. Well I’m not so certain the examples he’s portraying is very leader like and if you are not very vocal I feel like like the C has probably lost its effectiveness on the team as a whole.

Now Gallagher, he arguably is the most dedicated player in the game on and off the ice. His work ethic is legendary and I just think if you put a C on him it will make players especially the young ones work that much harder. He’s not scared to hit get hit or even fight. He’s got the most heart on the team and considering he’s the longest serving hab (other than price) I just think it’s time to switch up leadership. He 100% deserves it.

Now I know that can really affect relationships to make a switch up that significant on a team. I think it’s truly the best thing for the team and it might light a fire in Weber much like it did to Brown in LA. He’s played better hockey since summer of 2016. Now I’m not totally sold on this idea as I know it can cause a lot of tension. So before I’m 100% sold on the idea Id like to hear some other opinions of fellow Habs fans. Maybe mid season is not the best time, maybe off season is better? Maybe I’m out to lunch? Anyways cheers

I would expect Weber will be traded after next season. His salary for the 2022-2023 season will only be 3M, and he'll probably be about as effective as an average 3M Dman. But at his cap hit of 7.8M, he's not a good fit on a cap team and should be moved.

Then, Gally will probably take over as captain.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
I am starting to think that 'C' is really heavy in montreal. Once a player wears it and they are struggling it gets even heavier.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Not a chance. Habs management don't have to balls to remove the C from Weber, even if he becomes a bad 6th D (pretty much what he is right now).
He'll stay captain until he retires.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Weber nor Gallagher should be captain.

The captain should go to the next star player the Habs develop. Kotkaniemi, Caufield or Suzuki or someone else, or no one.

Weber and Gallagher are both made of the same stuff, good bc boys that look straight and dont do anything.

I need a captain with balls of steel and fire.

Other than being from BC and playing in montreal I’m not sure they have much in common lol

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Weber nor Gallagher should be captain.

The captain should go to the next star player the Habs develop. Kotkaniemi, Caufield or Suzuki or someone else, or no one.

Weber and Gallagher are both made of the same stuff, good bc boys that look straight and dont do anything.

I need a captain with balls of steel and fire.

How is that not Gallagher? That's exactly how to define Gallagher.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Who cares who wears the C? It'll happen eventually. It's not like they're going to strip Weber of the C as the most respected player on the Habs. Pointless thread.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Jean Beliveau was the last good captain this team has had. Ever since its either going to the next vet in line or some kind of grinder like Gainey, Keane, Carbo or Gionta.

Reactions: peate

BergevinsOnlyFan

Jan 2, 2021
I get Weber is not what he used to be but I still love the guy he is doing everything he can to help the team win it's not his fault the team is average at best

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How is that not Gallagher? That's exactly how to define Gallagher.
Gallaghers a grinder that has been a devoted Therrien and Julien fanatic. Hes not the answer. The Habs need actual leadership. The Habs need a guy that will tell the boys they suck today and that he was going to carry them to victory.

Not a fkn 2nd line winger that takes weak shot on net, whines to the refs and loves his coach.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Great, dont care. Pacioretty was 2nd for a while, didnt make him captain material.

I mean I get what you are saying in that Gallagher is not a superstar but other than scoring goals comparing max and Gally as the same player is misleading I feel.

Reactions: Edgy

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I mean I get what you are saying in that Gallagher is not a superstar but other than scoring goals comparing max and Gally as the same player is a bit much no?
They are comparable because they are both secondary players that score goal.

Enough with the random ass players. Working hard doenst make you eligible to be captain of the greatest franchise in hockey.

Up your standards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad