Galchenyuk or Subban

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
PK Subban is the best player we've had since...Patrick Roy.

Galchenyuk or Eller are the best players we've had since...Mats Naslund.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Alex Galchenyuk
-> 19 years old
-> grand total of 52 regular season games played in his career
-> averaged more or less 12 minutes a game in his rookie season
-> average a little less than 15 minutes a game in his sophomore season

and despite all that, he has been a PPG player for the last 15/20 regular season games or so (incl. last season) and lead our team in points...

while RIGHT NOW Subban is better, having this poll in May could very well give totally different results...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Mats Naslund played his first game as a Habs in 1982, Roy played his first game as a Habs in 1984/85 season...

10$ you didnt knew that :amazed:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
imagine all the 1st round picks we could get for trading them

best post :laugh:

in all seriousness, unless you see galchenyuk as a perennial hart candidate - and mind you, this is a league with the likes of crosby, ovechkin, stamkos, malkin and so on and the chances of gally ever goes up to their level is essentially none, then i dont think anybody should vote for gally because subban is already there for his position

Mr. Hab said:

that... makes no sense... :huh:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
best post :laugh:

in all seriousness, unless you see galchenyuk as a perennial hart candidate - and mind you, this is a league with the likes of crosby, ovechkin, stamkos, malkin and so on and the chances of gally ever goes up to their level is essentially none, then i dont think anybody should vote for gally because subban is already there for his position

that... makes no sense... :huh:

irrelevant. having tougher competition in the league doesnt change a thing, doesnt mean he cannot be the HABS best player. Same for Subban, if a kid comes up and becomes an instant and perenial Norris winner will not change the fact Subban is the best HABS player (or not, at the time)

It's like saying, SY wasnt the best DRW player in his 20's cause Gretzky and Lemieux were at the top of the league... makes no sense.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
I went with subban, no disrespect to galchy but subban as prove so much more.. subban can do it all... there I said it.. actually no... he cant fight.... lol but thats it. He already won a norris etc... no defemseman in the nhl defenseman as such a bag of tool. While forwards play less, have less responsabilities and his hypes with new superstars almost every 2-3 years, Galchenyuk as proved he could pass but hasnt showed he could be a lethal scorer just yet.. subban could realisticly be a 25g-60a guy every year.

I chose Subban guys.. galchenyuk as played 4 games this year dont see too far ahead. Hertl isnt gonna be a 80goal scorer in the nhl.. galchenyuk wont be a 90 passes a year player either.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
irrelevant. having tougher competition in the league doesnt change a thing, doesnt mean he cannot be the HABS best player. Same for Subban, if a kid comes up and becomes an instant and perenial Norris winner will not change the fact Subban is the best HABS player (or not, at the time)

It's like saying, SY wasnt the best DRW player in his 20's cause Gretzky and Lemieux were at the top of the league... makes no sense.

yeah, fair enough :nod:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I went with subban, no disrespect to galchy but subban as prove so much more.. subban can do it all... there I said it.. actually no... he cant fight.... lol but thats it. He already won a norris etc... no defemseman in the nhl defenseman as such a bag of tool. While forwards play less, have less responsabilities and his hypes with new superstars almost every 2-3 years, Galchenyuk as proved he could pass but hasnt showed he could be a lethal scorer just yet.. subban could realisticly be a 25g-60a guy every year.

I chose Subban guys.. galchenyuk as played 4 games this year dont see too far ahead. Hertl isnt gonna be a 80goal scorer in the nhl.. galchenyuk wont be a 90 passes a year player either.

realistic and over PPG d-mean EVERY year in the same sentence, really ?
-> Raymond Bourque, one of the best in history didnt reach that every year
-> Nik Lidstrom, one of the best also, reached PPG only once in his career
-> for the Habs, Robinson reached 80ts only 2 or 3 times in his career
-> the closest thing to a PPG D man is Bobby Orr, arguably the best offensive D man in history.

wich is more than Subban at the same age... 4 games this year, AND the games played last year, a 55/60 pts pace over a full season for a rookie who missed the previous year due to injury.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
realistic and over PPG d-mean EVERY year in the same sentence, really ?
-> Raymond Bourque, one of the best in history didnt reach that every year
-> Nik Lidstrom, one of the best also, reached PPG only once in his career
-> for the Habs, Robinson reached 80ts only 2 or 3 times in his career
-> the closest thing to a PPG D man is Bobby Orr, arguably the best offensive D man in history.

wich is more than Subban at the same age... 4 games this year, AND the games played last year, a 55/60 pts pace over a full season for a rookie who missed the previous year due to injury.

Ok ill say average(yes average) of 70-75 for a defenseman for the nexgt 7 to 10 years. Ur right 85 is mike green type in his prime wich I was thinking to come up with that... but green is only offense and nothing else and he did it like for 2 years only if not 1.. Btw galchenyuk is awesome dont get me wrong. But still as of now I only go with subban.

So nice to see players like that... at least hockey is fun to watcg

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Ok ill say average(yes average) of 70-75 for a defenseman for the nexgt 7 to 10 years. Ur right 85 is mike green type in his prime wich I was thinking to come up with that... but green is only offense and nothing else and he did it like for 2 years only if not 1.. Btw galchenyuk is awesome dont get me wrong. But still as of now I only go with subban.

So nice to see players like that... at least hockey is fun to watcg

that's pretty much it, defenseman who puts 80 / 90 pts on a yearly basis are usually all offense and no defense... Green is a fine example, Coffey (7 seasons of 90+ pts, over a PPG careerwise, and yet NO ONE talks about him being one of the best) is another.

Habs8517

Feb 28, 2007
Montreal
Easily PK Subban. He is the heart and soul of the Montreal Canadiens. There is no doubt in my mind that when his career is over that his jersey will be hanging on the rafters on the Bell Center and he will be inducted in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

habs88

Ya I'm a habs fan
Mar 28, 2013
Montreal
I love that we are able to compare two great talents both playing for our team :) when was the last time we could actually argue about who was the best player in the habs.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
An interesting stat is that PK joined the NHL full time at the age of 21, when he accumulated 38 points in 77 games, good for 5th on the team. To make the jump as a D at that age as a 2nd round pick is pretty amazing.

I also consider him a "winner". He's been proven to score clutch goals, (tying the game in the final minute of game 7 vs Boston, sniping one passed Anderson in game 4 of the playoffs last season when it was do or die) and he won gold at the WJC. He also has that extra gear that elite players, that allows him to out compete about 95% of his opponents if need be.

As for Galchenyuk, joining the NHL full time at the age of 18, after missing just about his whole draft season with a busted knee, is just phenomenal. He has all the tools he needs to become that coveted #1 center man that we've been looking for for decades.

His skills are very well documented, but he draws similarities to PK in another facet of his game. In my eyes, he's also a "winner" and silent leader (see Toews). He leads by example on the ice, and this only at the age of 19. He tries to compete hard every shift.

He's also come up clutch. Last season, he tried several times throughout the regular season to snipe one top shelf, only to miss the net. Then, in that do or die game 4 vs Ottawa, he snipes one farside at a near impossible angle, when it mattered the most. Aside from that, he helped his relatively underdog team win the WJC, a tournament that by all accounts should have been won by a powerhouse team Canada, and he scored 2 goals in a shootout to win Bronze at the world championships.

All in all, both these players are franchise players at their respective positions. They have all the skill in the world, but what separates them from their peers is their character and will to win; Subban saying the other Norris winners have a Cup and he doesn't, and Galchenyuk nearly shedding tears after losing in playoffs as a rookie.

PS: I picked Galchenyuk, but we are truly blessed to have them both, and I really do believe that they will one day hoist a cup wearing Habs jerseys, one with an A and one with a C! :handclap:

Drunk Manager

Jun 30, 2013
Gatineau
Voted for PK simply because defenseman are more valuable and he's already one of the best.

At this point of his career, we have no idea what's Galchenyuk ceiling, but i expect him to become a PPG player or near it in his prime. I'd be ecstatic if he pan out to be a 2 way player similar to J.Toews.

Kinda hard to chose between 1A and 1B, but the good thing is, we dont really have to chose and we can just enjoy wathing them play.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Chucky will most likely be a solid top 6 in 1-2 years. Subban is already 1 of the best dman in the league.

Subban AINEC

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Love Galchenyuk but Subban already carries this team on his back. If Gachenyuk ever takes his game to the point of matching Subban's current value/play Habs are going to be very good.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
that's pretty much it, defenseman who puts 80 / 90 pts on a yearly basis are usually all offense and no defense... Green is a fine example, Coffey (7 seasons of 90+ pts, over a PPG careerwise, and yet NO ONE talks about him being one of the best) is another.

Paul COffey is considered as a top 10 all time, pretty sure he is considered among the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad