Galchenyuk or Subban

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

PK gets obvious bonus points because he's more proven and he's a D and probably a more rare talent. I've said pretty much since his first season that I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the league, Crosby included. I think he has all the goods to make him a generational talent and the best player in the league.

That being said, the very fact that Galchenyuk is unproven can almost be a plus because who knows his ceiling. I say that he can crack the top 5 of NHL forwards/players in his prime.

Don't get too noisy, other boards could hear us!

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I've been spending the last 15 minutes trying to figure out how I can vote for both options.
No luck yet, but will let you guys know once I break through!

You either abstain or... you create a fake account so you can vote for both!

I don't see any other way to deal with this dilemma.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Just trying to answer this question is a great deal of fun.
But then you probably asked for that reason.
So, Subban may settle back, and only be one of the best D-men of
his generation. Or he might build on what he has already done, and become
THE best D-man of his generation.
Chuck has a long way to go before he's in the same race. But I hope he
makes this an interesting question for the next generation of fans. :handclap:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Subban is the habs bet player right now, but if Galchenyuk continues developing really well, I think he will be our future franchise player.

I voted Galchenyuk.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
If somehow Galchenyuk becomes better than Subban, Habs will dominate this league.

I mean, Subban is already one of the best D in the world and he's still improving. Can Galchenyuk become one of the best forward in the world? If so, than :banana:

hogtownhabsfan*

Subban is already an elite, elite player. He's on schedule to be a 1st ballot HOFer. For Galchenyuk to even enter the conversation as better he needs to fully reach his potential.

Until then, it's ridiculous to answer anything but Subban.

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
I honestly believe Subban ends up with 2 or more Norris trophies, hard not to go with him.

OHL First All-Star Team 2009
AHL All-Rookie Team 2010
AHL President's Award 2010
NHL All-Rookie Team 2011
NHL James Norris Memorial Trophy 2013
NHL NHL First All-Star Team 2013

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Subban. Galchenyuk has to prove he can do that for one season long. When he is gonna start struggling, people will want his head already or label him as bust? lol

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
The question says who's the best player for years to come. PK is our best player right now, but if the Chuckster can reach a fraction of his potential, he'll blaze a trail for those years to come.

I pick Galchenyuk.

hogtownhabsfan*

The question says who's the best player for years to come. PK is our best player right now, but if the Chuckster can reach a fraction of his potential, he'll blaze a trail for those years to come.

I pick Galchenyuk.

For Galchenyuk to get to a Subban level of value, we're talking about him becoming a top 3-5 forward in the league. I just don't see it happening. And I love Galchenyuk.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Subban is maybe the best defensemen in the league right now, and he is still very young. He is a gem.

Galchenyuk is more than likely going to become a star in this league and has a chance at dominating as as a centre, but Subban is already dominant and will likely get even better.

I vote for Subban.

Subban, Galchenyuk, Price, we could have elite players for all three positions.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Subban. Galchenyuk has to prove he can do that for one season long. When he is gonna start struggling, people will want his head already or label him as bust? lol

I think Galchenyuk will be one of those players who just never really dissappoint. It's not like he's either of the AKs or Cammy.

For Galchenyuk to get to a Subban level of value, we're talking about him becoming a top 3-5 forward in the league. I just don't see it happening. And I love Galchenyuk.

I'd be far more shocked if he didn't become that good than if he did. The only thing he's lacking is really high end first step accleration/quickness and he's only 19 and has tons of time to improve that.

Everything else is pretty insane for his age. I can't think of too many players who have/had such crazy vision and passing while also having an absolutely deadly release possibly one of the better ones I've seen.

He has everything you could possibly want. He can snipe, he can dangle, he can score from in close like a power forward, he threads the needle on passes through traffic like few others, very cerebral, has this almost creepy like ability to slow down the play like that Matrix type sh#t (I swear there's times when I've seen highlights and it LITERALLY looks like he slows everything down). Could eventually rival Kane's hands. Great underrated skater. Fantastic size for his age. Very solid defensively (especially for his age). His determination on and off the ice.

Seriously, I'd like to hear some good reasons why he CAN'T be one of the best in the game. I just don't see any real obstacles. I don't think people appreciate how rare a talent he is. I can't think of too many (if any at all) players/prospects who are not only so complete but have their completeness be so incredibly high end.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
What a tough question

The reality is Im extremely excited we get to have this debate, and not one of the other 29 teams in the league, both are incredible.

I voted PK, but the fact that we have these 2 for a very long time is so encouraging as a Habs fan!

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
Subban. The guy is already a top 5~ dman in the NHL and he hasn't come close to hitting his peak. Galchenyuk is obviously going to be a special player, but I don't think he'll quite hit that level of elite (more along the lines of a Kopitar - top 10-20 forward) imo.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
PK already has a Norris, and to me, he's the best Dman in the NHL. Even if he isn't to some, he's definitely in the talks of top 3-5.
I'm not convinced Galchenyuk will be a top 5 center in the NHL. We're talking Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk, Giroux, Toews, Tavares..

Yeah, but to be fair, everyone of those forwards are better than any Dman in the league imo. So, in essence, I guess I'm saying that being a top-5 dman is like being a top10-15 forward, which I think Chucky will surely be, barring the unforeseen.

Would you rather have a perennial Art Ross candidate or a perennial Norris candidate?

Very tough call.

I will grudgingly settle for having both.
That's the way I look at it! I've always loved the offensively dominant, yet defensively excellent, European centers so I choose Chucky, but obviously no wrong answer at this point.
There's no dman in this league that I value as much as the top 5 forwards, so I disagree.

habscup*

Gally might turn into a regular 70-75 sometimes 80 pts per year player... but its ridiculous to say he will be a top 5 or 10 forward unless he really excels defensively.

Think about it even great centers like Sundin have only been on average 75-80 pts per year..

Relax with the hype guys... he's no Malkin, he's more of a Eric Staal type.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Gally might turn into a regular 70-75 sometimes 80 pts per year player... but its ridiculous to say he will be a top 5 or 10 forward unless he really excels defensively.

Think about it even great centers like Sundin have only been on average 75-80 pts per year..

Relax with the hype guys... he's no Malkin, he's more of a Eric Staal type.

I remember people saying the same thing about PK when some we're saying he had the goods to be the best D man in the league or even top 5. Galchenyuk will be better than Staal. Book it AINEC.

I just want to keep saying how great he is so I can gloat about it afterwards and if he doesn't it's no big deal. Win win!

I totally understand why people don't want to get ahead of themselves but what is it about AG's game that makes you think he can't get to Malkin like levels? I'm legitimately curious.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I remember people saying the same thing about PK when some we're saying he had the goods to be the best D man in the league or even top 5. Galchenyuk will be better than Staal. Book it AINEC.

I just want to keep saying how great he is so I can gloat about it afterwards and if he doesn't it's no big deal. Win win!

I totally understand why people don't want to get ahead of themselves but what is it about AG's game that makes you think he can't get to Malkin like levels? I'm legitimately curious.

I think the answer to the question comes down to size and skating. Malkin is a ridiculously smooth skater with a heavy frame, a combination Galchenyuk simply can't have. When Malkin is going, he just looks unstoppable. That, and it's probably downright unfair to expect anyone to be Malkin. He's had injuries that slowed him down in a couple of his seasons, but at his best he is otherwordly dominant in a way I don't see from anyone else in the league today, a one man army.

At this stage, Galchenyuk is proving he has what it takes to be a scorer in this league at a young age, and is doing everything he can to get dat ice time, but as much as I love his hands, shot and IQ, I think Malkin's physical package, combined with the tools, is something that will be hard to overcome in this hypothetical debate.

Still, even if I don't think Galchenyuk will get to Malkin's level, I don't think it could be considered a criticism. I suppose it is up to Galchenyuk to take it up another couple notches, but even if he doesn't, I think this franchise should still be more than happy. We haven't had a natural centreman with his skill set since the Classical Era.

To answer the poll.......I'll go with Subban for now. Already at or near the top of his position, plays big minutes, impact player all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->