Gagner terrific,TURRIS =SCAREY!!!!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Last night Sam Gagner returned to the London Knights line-up after several games out with a slight concussion,and he made a statement with 2G (including the GWG ot winner) +2A as the Knights beat Sault Ste. Marie 4-3 in OT....it was a statement because PAT KANE dod not play due to the flu....yes Kostitsyn was also brilliant to work with Gagner,but Gagner proved to me that it wasjust Pat Kane being on his line that got him so many points...he could step up and be more go to when required as with Kane out...he is worthy of going top 5 by himself!

HOWEVER--last night KYLE TURRIS demolished Victoria as he led the Burnaby Express to an 8-4 win over their Coastal Division rival (Victoria came into the game 17 points higher in the standings than Burnaby in the Division) --TURRIS had 3G+4A =7points
=WOW!!!

LOGAN COUTURE also returned to the OTtawa 67's lineup and had 2G+1A as the 67's
pounded 51 shots at the Mississauga goal in a 5-2 victory..we'll see if coutur plays well down the home stretch and into the playoffs if Ottawa hangs on to a playoff spot..With his illness and injuries,it has been hard to get a read on his progress or lack of this season...

ANGELO ESPOSITO--berated and downgraded because he did not put up the points expected this year (perhaps not his fault since Patrick Roy chose not to make him the #1 centre and go to guy(rather centering only their 2nd line)--also had a good game =2 goals last night in a Ramparts win...however given the spectacular shows put on by Turris and Gagner--once again Espo pales in comparison (though to be fair--he doesn't have the same top line exposure for his team)...

Bottom line--the CENTRES in this draft are better than the scouts orginally gave them credit for---no Crosby' or Malkin's in terms of power,speed and puck skill shot ,passing ,hockey sense in a single package--BUT these guys have some of these attributes (albeit differently comboed) and have potential to be top 1 or 2 line centres as pros ...

The other candidate for the top 5 centres in the draft probaby not getting enough ranking is Joakim Andersson--I just have a hunch about this guy...the line on him was he had to work on his accleration/skating but that all the other parts of the game were there including him being a good 2-way player--he scored 4 g in 4GP at the 5Nations U-18 in Most Czech Rep and certainly he has the size on the other 4 centres listed above...the scouts also said skating was the issue with Kopitar in his draft--the scouts have been proven wrong--as I said,just a hunch but Andersson willbe good...

Though I still insist KYLE TURRIS is the bomb! A very special talent...when he plays his "A game he can just kill the opposition in a points explosion...scarey talent!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I agree on Turris. I think he may be the best player in this draft. The interesting thing is I have heard only positive reviews about him; nobody that I've heard about who has watched him play in person has come away unimpressed.

X0ssbar

Not sure how much anyone will take away from this comment but on his show a few weeks ago Doug MacLean called Turris the best player in the draft. Compared him to a Sakic like player.

For what that's worth.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Turris put on a hell of a show last night. He's an incredible all-around offensive talent. He's got a heck of a shot, he can really pick the corner and his vision and ability to make the tough passes is really uncanny.

Last night he was just magic. Every time he touched the puck something happened, usually a goal. Victoria is no slouch and their starting goalie is one of the best in the league, but Turris simply took it to them.

Rick Lanz can't say enough good things about him, and having spoken to Kyle a few times myself, I have to agree. One of the best compliments I can give to a 17 yr old prospect is that he's mature, and that's exactly what I would say about Kyle. He's a very down-to-earth, nice, kid. Teams are going to LOVE him when they interview him.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, I am thinking Turris is starting to distance himself from the pack. I suspect he's going to be a Flyer.

Sigh. Too bad, I really want him in Oiler colours.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Yeah, I am thinking Turris is starting to distance himself from the pack. I suspect he's going to be a Flyer.

Sigh. Too bad, I really want him in Oiler colours.

I think the Oilers do too. K-Lowe is one of the GMs who has personally spoken to Turris.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Lemieux, Lafleur and Crosby also had 160 pts in the Q too...

I think this is pointless. Someone who can put high numbers in junior major definitely has great attributes.

Oh definatly does...but putting up big numbers doesnt gaurentee NHL success.

There are as many examples of huge Junior scorers who go on to do nothing as there are Lemieux's and Crosby's.

AgentNaslund*

Vancouver will find a way to put a package together to put themselves in a position were they can draft local boy Turris.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Or perhaps the organization didn't get caught up in the Vancouver hype and did not feel that Brule was worth the cost of trading up.

AgentNaslund*

just like local boy Brule?

dont know what your trying to say, Rumors had it, that Nonis was gonna trade up to the number 2 pick in exhange for the 10th pick and something else. know he did try to draft Brule, and I know he would have drafted Brule becuase NOnis said he thinks Brule is the 2nd best foward after Crosby. just putting the puzzles together.... im also fantasy talking too.... I know they probably wont be able to grab turris.

Randall Graves*

Not sure how much anyone will take away from this comment but on his show a few weeks ago Doug MacLean called Turris the best player in the draft. Compared him to a Sakic like player.

For what that's worth.
The kiss of death. The Jackets will draft him, McLean will hype him up and boast like he has before and Turris will be screwed.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I agree on Turris. I think he may be the best player in this draft. The interesting thing is I have heard only positive reviews about him; nobody that I've heard about who has watched him play in person has come away unimpressed.

Probably because he plays aginast lesser talent, so he's always going to stand out. That's not to say he wouldn't stand out in the WHL. But on an off night in the W, he would definitely blend in more.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Philly is sending representatives to see Turris next week.

during a Flyers broadcast about a month ago they named the top 3 prospects in the draft and then did a little blurb on them. the three names were kane, cherepanov and turris. kane and cherepanov got about 30 seconds each, turris got about 2-3 minutes.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
during a Flyers broadcast about a month ago they named the top 3 prospects in the draft and then did a little blurb on them. the three names were kane, cherepanov and turris. kane and cherepanov got about 30 seconds each, turris got about 2-3 minutes.

I thought they talked about Esposito that game, not Kane. I could be wrong, but you're definately right on Turris. I found it strange at the time that they chose Turris to talk about instead of the guys who at that time were thought to be locks in the top 5 (Voracek, Couture, Gagner, even Alzner who still is top 5).

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
I thought they talked about Esposito that game, not Kane. I could be wrong, but you're definately right on Turris. I found it strange at the time that they chose Turris to talk about instead of the guys who at that time were thought to be locks in the top 5 (Voracek, Couture, Gagner, even Alzner who still is top 5).

Could be my revisionist history where I substituted Kane for Espo. I thought it was very interesting as I believe Turris just started coming up on a lot of people radar as a legit top 10 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->