Gagarin Cup Playoffs 2020 (UPD: Cancelled)

Winner?!

• Total voters

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What? Players have zero input? Finland is a dictatorship??!

Players are responsible citizens and didn't want to risk getting infected nor infecting others. Since Liiga players did not want to continue their season, it's 100% sure Jokerit players didn't want to either in the current situation in Finland. We have government guidelines to not travel abroad right now to any country. Other countries have also closed their borders.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What? Players have zero input? Finland is a dictatorship??!
What? You have zero input? Canada is a dictatorship??

:facepalm:

I meant you. You don't have to work either so stop saying you do "while others are hiding under their beds".

There is 0 reason why well-paid professionals should risk the well-being of their families and to an extent their country. I guess that excludes you.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am well aware that revenue is not everything, but the TV rights is not really something to brag about from the league considering its status. I don't really know about the income from merchandise sales so I can't really comment that part. I am just glad that the league is trying to shift from team sponsorships to league sponsorships and revenue sharing, although it might take some time.

Well they are profitable on paper but by taking a look at their financial statement from 2018, it is visible that they received donations (добровольные имущественные взносы и пожертвования) of over 110 million rubles (which is close to 1.4 million euros), so I doubt that they de facto are profitable...
How does that make them not profitable?

Even NOT taking into account that, you know, 110 is way less than 543, so no matter what you imply by that "oh, they got donations" the donations are still five times less than their profit. What's your point?

Their income is somewhere around 3.5 Billion RUB. Those 110 Mio. donations are less than a side note.

I sincerely enjoy people stating nonesense like "I doubt" when it comes to cold hard facts when it comes to Russia, but want to believe every wild guess if it's about the Holy West.

Numbers are numbers.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
I'm glad this will be available to watch/stream. Never really watched the khl, i'm sure it's some tough good hockey

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
I am quite surprised that so few people have speculated about the continuation of the playoffs, setting aside the Jokerit case. I would personally gladly take a bet with even odds that the playoffs won't continue on the 17th day nor 18th.

Yes, Russia is Russia, but the amount of condemnation from other countries and media would be quite overwhelming if the playoffs continue. That could be too much. Also, from what I've heard from athletes, playing for empty stands is not worth it. The audience is what makes professional sports so unique. I guess the athletes' opinions matter at least a little bit in the decision making, even in Russia.

I'd gladly watch the playoffs even if they're played in front of empty stands but I'm not very convinced that they would be played out. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
By stating things you can't change facts. SKA is profitable since 2018(543 Mio. Rub.). The league is prifitable for 5+ years now. It's just a fact.

And your claim that ownership money somehow does not add to the equation is downright stupid. It's like saying that the Leafs are not profitable without the Rogers money.

1.In 2017 they had losses of over 1 billion rubles. You declaring that now they are profitable after one plus year is a stretch
2.SKA earns 1 billion rubles from commercial income according to Rotenberg. The rest(according to you, it's 2,5 billion) comes from non-commercial sponsorship. And who is a main sponsor? Gazpromneft. So it is a state corporation, throwing it's money at SKA. Players salaries budget is way higher than their commercial earnings.
3.Leafs earn like 100 million USD on tickets alone.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It is not. Many teams are starting to get a grip on making money rather than spending it. There are different concepts to it too. Smaller tes follow Dinamo Riga footsteps.

As you said, salaries in Russia are just too low to have enough income from tickets. TV rights? Forget about it. Add the logistic costs. KHL teams will not be profitable in near future.

Reactions: Jussi

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Unless you are in the police force, army or a firefighter no, you don't have to. Other people are not to blame you can't make your own choices.
False. People have to go to work Monday. I have to. I'd get fired if I just didn't show up.

Or you mean, people have the choice to stay home and become unemployed? Then yes, that is a choice most people make every weekday morning.

Reactions: wacko2

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
False. People have to go to work Monday. I have to. I'd get fired if I just didn't show up.

Or you mean, people have the choice to stay home and become unemployed? Then yes, that is a choice most people make every weekday morning.

Over here workers are instructed to stay home if they're sick. Don't even need a doctor's note. No one will get fired because of the current situation and also because we have paid sick leave.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Yes, I meant the latter. Yes, it's the choice people make every day but the circumstances are getting pretty extraordinary so each and every day you can rethink that decision. If you still come to the conclusion, that you have to, it's still your choice or, at the very least, a continuation of the choices you have made throughout your life. If you prefer to look at it that way.

Being angry at hockey players because you have to work while they don't is just pitiful. Cue in "Dire Straits - Money For Nothing" as a soundtrack to that opinion.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Over here workers are instructed to stay home if they're sick. Don't even need a doctor's note. No one will get fired because of the current situation and also because we have paid sick leave.
And if you're not sick?

What I was quoting was a comment about professional athletes not going to work. They are healthy. They don't need to go. I need to go.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And if you're not sick?

What I was quoting was a comment about professional athletes not going to work. They are healthy. They don't need to go. I need to go.

Depends if you're kid 's school or kindergarten is shut down or quarantined. Parents can stay at home in that case.

But you're missing the whole point in this. It's not about these healthy athletes, it's about containment. Not getting them sick and infecting others and obeying government guidelines.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Meanwhile my company has just given all my hourly employees 4 weeks paid time off, to be revisited as the situation progresses.

Im salary so I can pick whenever I want to go to work and sit around drinking coffee all day, or say "Working from home". Not much call to drive a zamboni or do ice maintenance when all the Q games are cancelled(and all lacross and Basketball). But I love my company

Meanwhile my other buddy works for the dumbest boomers. They sent a companywide email saying this is all overblown and nobody would be permitted to work from home.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Where can I watch these games?

I assume you're from Canada, the broadcaster there is DAZN Canada.

List of KHL broadcasters by country can actually be found here: KHL action available on TV in 32 countries

As for other countries, last game was available on youtube, maybe second round games will also be available, since it is likely that those will be held in empty arenas.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimeZone

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
1.In 2017 they had losses of over 1 billion rubles. You declaring that now they are profitable after one plus year is a stretch
2.SKA earns 1 billion rubles from commercial income according to Rotenberg. The rest(according to you, it's 2,5 billion) comes from non-commercial sponsorship. And who is a main sponsor? Gazpromneft. So it is a state corporation, throwing it's money at SKA. Players salaries budget is way higher than their commercial earnings.
3.Leafs earn like 100 million USD on tickets alone.
LOL You don't need a degree to understand what profit means, right? Profit means that SKA returns more money than it spends. No matter where the money comes from. Gazprom does not lose money through SKA. It can't.

Just as Rogers with MLSE. If an enterprise is profitable the owners make money with it.

Thus:

1.I do not declare anything. You are declaring stuff of your own. I quote official sources. And if you knew a thing or two about those things, you'd know there is nothing that unusual about going from major losses to major profits or vice cersa in a year. Your argument is pretty meaningless.

2.What is that "according to Rotenberg"? There are official numbers. And income is income.

3.Thank you Captain Obvious, MLSE makes more money than SKA. But then again by your logic. They(TOR) can't even pay their overpriced superstars from their income from the gate. All is lost!

The only thing that matters is the result.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You might want to eat your words quite soon
LOL Media guided hordes vs. science supported common sense. Who wins? Hmmmm...

Btw, you aren't even able to see the point. The losers don't even have to be in Finnland. They don't have to be exposed or expose anyone as the games would probably be played without people in the stands anyway.

What's your point, people?

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
Barys Twitter:

”In connection with the decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan on the introduction of a state of emergency on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Barys will not be able to hold a series of KHL playoff matches. Thus, “Barys” is forced to refuse to participate in the Gagarin Cup 2019/2020 season.”

I feel it’s odd that the KHL have not yet decided to call it quits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad