Gagarin Cup Playoffs 2020 (UPD: Cancelled)

Winner?!

• Total voters

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
According to YLE's "insider source", Jokerit season is 99% sure to be over. Jokerit head of communications denied this. But as I posted earlier, I don't see it being possible to do with the travel limits.
The only real way is they move to Russia until the end of their season and play their home games there.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't see the players willing to be apart from their families.
I really don't think they would just walk away from the team, performance bonuses and all that just because they can't be without their families for, at very most, 1 month. I can see the club itself not willing to go with a complicated scheme like this but the players, really don't think they would be a problem. It's really not a long period of time and most likely, it's no longer than a long away trip during the regular season.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I really don't think they would just walk away from the team, performance bonuses and all that just because they can't be without their families for, at very most, 1 month. I can see the club itself not willing to go with a complicated scheme like this but the players, really don't think they would be a problem. It's really not a long period of time and most likely, it's no longer than a long away trip during the regular season.

It's more to do with disobeying government guidelines. It would be terrible PR and above all, reckless behavior. Even Jokerit fans are calling for the the season to end.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I guess the option would be relocating the home games to St. Petersburg as well. Minimised travel and easily fixed logistics wise.

But then again, it might not be the best PR move from the team

Post scriptum: but jesus christ it would be anticlimactic to leave walk over in a conference semifinal, especially if only one of eight teams do this

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
CSKA: Nesterov-Grigorenko-Kempe-Vey-Kaprizov
SKA: Bengtsson-Burdasov-Tkachyov-Kemppainen-Barabanov
Avangard: Franson-Shirokov-Shumakov-McMillan-Beck
For Ak Bars it's: Virtanen-A. Galimov-Azevedo-Cormier-Petrov and Yarullin-Galiev-E. Galimov-Tikhonov-Frattin

Wikstrand isn't on either of ak bars powerplay? Odd.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I guess the option would be relocating the home games to St. Petersburg as well. Minimised travel and easily fixed logistics wise.

But then again, it might not be the best PR move from the team

Post scriptum: but jesus christ it would be anticlimactic to leave walk over in a conference semifinal, especially if only one of eight teams do this

The speculation is that KHL will cancel the season after IIHF cancels the Worlds.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I guess this is the pros of running a team (or league for that matter) that is not gate driven – you could continue to play the whole playoffs without any attendance as teams aren't making a profit anyways :laugh:

How do they make their money? As opposed to nhl?

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
Well, CSKA have always been nicknamed as "horses", similarly how Spartak are also known as "pigs" (they prefer to use the gladiator as their symbol in the KHL for some reason though).
Horse being a symbol for the army, pigs from the nickname meat which comes from the colour red and old ties to meat packaging industries.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Oh. I thought he was good lol. My mistake.
Actually, I misspoke, he plays 17.18 on average. Anyway, he is pretty good player but his PP time got eaten by Virtanen and at even strength, Ak Bars pretty much plays their Ds evenly. He is by no means a bad player though.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
How do they make their money? As opposed to nhl?
Teams are heavily subsidised by big (Russian) corporations. For example, Nornickel is Jokerit's main sponsor and minority owner. Gazprom sponsors SKA Saint Petersburg while their subsidiary Gazprom Export sponsors Avangard Omsk, Dinamo Riga and Vityaz Podolsk. The oil company Rosneft is the majority owner and main sponsor of CSKA Moscow and VTB Bank is the main sponsor of both the hockey and soccer section of Dynamo Moscow. Russian Railways sponsor Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.

The rest of the teams are mostly sponsored by regional companies unless I forgot any team.

But yeah, not any of the teams would be able to have the current payrolls without the subsidisation of bigger corporations, although the league is trying to long-term shift it into a more westernised, revenue driven league.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
The speculation is that KHL will cancel the season after IIHF cancels the Worlds.
Isn't the IIHF making their official statement in about a week? Seems weird and badly planned to cancel the playoffs halfway through the second round in that case

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Actually, I misspoke, he plays 17.18 on average. Anyway, he is pretty good player but his PP time got eaten by Virtanen and at even strength, Ak Bars pretty much plays their Ds evenly. He is by no means a bad player though.

Virtanen who had 2 points in 20 games this season over a guy who had 32 points in 50 games? I don't get it...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Virtanen who had 2 points in 20 games this season over a guy who had 32 points in 50 games? I don't get it...
Virtanen is a more offensively skilled player though, hands down. That's why they got him to begin with. Stats aren't always everything. Especially the KHL.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Denmark has closed its borders and Stockholm region is considering a strict quarantine zone. Corona has spread at a faster rate in Finland than in Sweden or Denmark, so it's quite likely that drastic measures will be soon taken in Finland as well. I really don't see a chance for Jokerit to continue playing, unless they leave the country and stay in Russia for the remainder of the season. Not sure the players or the organization would agree to that.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
If for some reason Jokerit could not make it to Saint Petersburg, could KHL replace Jokerit with Lokomotiv Jaroslav in the second round of playoffs against SKA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad