Gagarin Cup Playoffs 2018

Winner?!

• Total voters

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Official statement of the KHL about SKA´ goal yesterday. See.

To sum it up, Severstal´s arena has bad cameras. That is one of the reasons the club should be moved to the KHL after this season. The KHL does not need such clubs.

The statement of Anisimov, the head of refs department. See.

"Some clubs do not follow league´s recommendations about cameras and all this stuff. Then this happens." That is not literal translation, just the point.

:whaaa?:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Official statement of the KHL about SKA´ goal yesterday. See.

To sum it up, Severstal´s arena has bad cameras. That is one of the reasons the club should be moved to the VHL after this season. The KHL does not need such clubs.

The statement of Anisimov, the head of refs department. See.

"Some clubs do not follow league´s recommendations about cameras and all this stuff. Then this happens." That is not literal translation, just the point.

There is no anything about excluding Severstal from the KHL in the statement. It just says, that video, that proves the goal wasn't legit, was made by Severstal video coach, and the arena cameras didn't catch the episode, so officials couldn't see the offside.

Severstal should blame itself and not the league. It was a known fact long before the incident, that Cherepovets arena isn't very good as to quality of TV broadcasting. And now they lose a playoff game because of it. It should be a good lesson to all other teams.

Reactions: TommySalo

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There is no anything about excluding Severstal from the KHL in the statement. It just says, that video, that proves the goal wasn't legit, was made by Severstal video coach, and the arena cameras didn't catch the episode, so officials couldn't see the offside.

Severstal should blame itself and not the league. It was a known fact long before the incident, that Cherepovets arena isn't very good as to quality of TV broadcasting. And now they lose a playoff game because of it. It should be a good lesson to all other teams.
Yes, you are right. There is nothing about excluding Severstal in the statement. This was just my opinion. If a club is not able to follow league´s criteria for arenas, then there is no room for the club in the league. CSKA, Torpedo are in the same situation, Sibir as well, but they plan to build new arena.

Last edited:

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
KHL:s statement seems plausible, but i'dd still like to see the videos the refs where watching... Should be approximately the same stuff that was on the broadcasting of the game. Is it possible to check this situation from another source/angle than the alleged video coach clip? If the broadcast shows the offside, then there is no doubt the whole thing is rigged..

And the KHLs statement doesn't change the fact that the penalty-ratio has been so one-sided. Disclaimer: I haven't seen any of these games (just clips) and I'm purely relying on the talks and statistics...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
KHL:s statement seems plausible, but i'dd still like to see the videos the refs where watching... Should be approximately the same stuff that was on the broadcasting of the game. Is it possible to check this situation from another source/angle than the alleged video coach clip? If the broadcast shows the offside, then there is no doubt the whole thing is rigged..

And the KHLs statement doesn't change the fact that the penalty-ratio has been so one-sided. Disclaimer: I haven't seen any of these games (just clips) and I'm purely relying on the talks and statistics...
The statement says that video-ref had clips which was provided by arena´s video system. And it was not clear there is an offside from those clips/cameras. So, original decision of refs on ice was kept. The league has said many times to the clubs that they should develop camera´s system, especially on blue line. Apparently, Severstal has not cared. The statement says that video-ref did not have clips, which was posted by the club in media later, at the moment of a decision.

Per Anisimov, the video-ref had only clips which are in the article on KHL website, here. Unfortunatelly the video is geo-blocked here.

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
Finnish hockey writer Sasha Huttunen Tweets (@kuplassasha):

"SKA:s privileges have annoyed people around KHL for some time now and the offside goal look's to be the last straw that breaks the camel's back. Will see what comes next. Traditionally the KHL has tried to silence all critics, even in Finland."

(The last part refers to the fact that KHL denied his accrediting rights because some of his writings have been too negative or something)

Further he tweets: "Surprising amount of the "noise" is coming from 'the East'. But we'll see will this just fade away or will there be some concrete actions on this matter..."

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

"SKA:s privileges have annoyed people around KHL for some time now and the offside goal look's to be the last straw that breaks the camel's back. Will see what comes next. Traditionally the KHL has tried to silence all critics, even in Finland."

(The last part refers to the fact that KHL denied his accrediting rights because some of his writings have been too negative or something)

Further he tweets: "Surprising amount of the "noise" is coming from 'the East'. But we'll see will this just fade away or will there be some concrete actions on this matter..."
Journalists should be neutral. If a journalist´s only job is to blame you, a journalist has an agenda, a journalist even does not try to be neutral, a hockey journalist goes into politics, there is no room for such a journalist. The KHL is a private company, not public, and has a right to decide who is accreditated and who not. Huttunen can blame yourself.

Yes, there is a room for criticism of the KHL by a journalist.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is it just me or is it rather silly to assume league would be rigging in favor of the All-Star lineup playing Severstal leading the series 2-0? Nobody is that stupid to do it. At least shouldn't be. I mean if SKA goal yesterday was disallowed, what's the worst what could have happened? They would had won series 4-1 instead of 4-0?

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
Journalists should be neutral. If a journalist´s only job is to blame you, a journalist has an agenda, a journalist even does not try to be neutral, a hockey journalist goes into politics, there is no room for such a journalist. The KHL is a private company, not public, and has a right to decide who is accreditated and who not. Huttunen can blame yourself.

Yes, there is a room for criticism of the KHL by a journalist.

Well, Huttunen has written good stuff also and I wouldn't say that he has such a strong agenda like Malamud does. In Finland we follow quite strictly the "journalistic ethics", which seems to be gibberish in Russia... But the losing of accrediting rights wasn't my point.

The point was that this offside-gate has caused some kind of movement in the KHL. The league shouldn't revolve around just one team and hopefully all the teams and GM:s realize this.

Reactions: Exarz

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I´d expect the videojudge to have exactly the same videomaterial as this! Clear as daylight.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I´d expect the videojudge to have exactly the same videomaterial as this! Clear as daylight.

He did have, because Severstal´s arena video-goal system sucks. Severstal can blame yourself for this failure.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

To be honest I don't really think that Severstal behaved well here, they clearly are whining as they lost, and it truly surprises me as the team truly made a huge step forward this year in all aspects, posting stupid tweets like that really doesn't help them in any possible way.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

This is the most stupid thing ever. 80% of Russian journalists write that the KHL/Premier League sucks in every possible way of writing, yet Putin didn't kill even one of them.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Well, Huttunen has written good stuff also and I wouldn't say that he has such a strong agenda like Malamud does. In Finland we follow quite strictly the "journalistic ethics", which seems to be gibberish in Russia... But the losing of accrediting rights wasn't my point.

The point was that this offside-gate has caused some kind of movement in the KHL. The league shouldn't revolve around just one team and hopefully all the teams and GM:s realize this.
A journalist has to respect the KHL rules, which cover the journalist´s job. If a journalist does not agree with the rules, he/she can quit a job & do something else.

A journalist is obligated (see):

1. to respect rights, honor and dignity of the KHL employees during his/her professional coverage.
6. not to spread unconfirmed informations, in their media & blogs & their social media accounts including Twitter, which may slander the honor and dignity and reputation of the KHL employees and the clubs. Not to spread unconfirmed informations, which may undermine the reputation of the KHL & the clubs.

If a journalist breaks these, and other, rules, the KHL can suspend his accreditation. Perhaps Huttunen´s case? Who knows?

As I know, Finnish media using a "special" term regarding Roman Rotenberg. Has Huttunen used it as well?

SKA & so. There are 27 clubs, every club has own agenda, some have more influence than others.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Oh yeah? Is that's the official reason for what happend? Why haven't KHL told them to update their systems? We can all see the same video as the refs. We can all see what happend on blue line. There is no way out by claiming on poor video quality. It's simply corruption.

And if this was the first time but it's always like this. I challange you to show examples on unclear situations in SKA games which have gone for opponents favour.
Read the statement in Russian (or my raw translation at this board).

The KHL has told them to update their systems many times, especially to Severstal. Everyone knows that Severstal´s arena, as a whole, sucks. Everyone has known this for years. Why are people suprise now?

I think that their arena is one of main reasons why the KHL wants to exclude Severstal.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
Oh yeah? Is that's the official reason for what happend? Why haven't KHL told them to update their systems? We can all see the same video as the refs. We can all see what happend on blue line. There is no way out by claiming on poor video quality. It's simply corruption.

I am not vorky, but I think he tried to say that "he didn't have" instead of "he did have".

KHL tells on their own pages that the video material on twitter was not available for refs and the material they did have was so poor, that they could not see the puck crossing the blueline. I assume that video on that article is the one that were available for the refs.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I am not vorky, but I think he tried to say that "he didn't have" instead of "he did have".

KHL tells on their own pages that the video material on twitter was not available for refs and the material they did have was so poor, that they could not see the puck crossing the blueline. I assume that video on that article is the one that were available for the refs.
Thank you for correcting me. Typo from me. I thought "he didn't have" as you said. And the statement, you translated, says this as well.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
The missed clear offside review aside, is there an explanation for why penalties in game 1 favoured SKA 24-0? Such a reffing bias would be practically unheard of in the NHL.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The missed clear offside review aside, is there an explanation for why penalties in game 1 favoured SKA 24-0? Such a reffing bias would be practically unheard of in the NHL.

Because they want SKA to win...it’s not a secret.

tsamolotoff

May 7, 2017
Moscow
Disregarding this idiotic SKA situation (yes, it's their fault, but I don't think Putin is involved in any way), these playoffs (at least in the East) were the most entertaining (so far) since 2014 (when this 'base team' shit started). Amur put up a fight (alas, they've been diving a lot, but it's because they want to win Ak Bars at any cost)

Reactions: Exarz

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Disregarding this idiotic SKA situation (yes, it's their fault, but I don't think Putin is involved in any way), these playoffs (at least in the East) were the most entertaining (so far) since 2014 (when this 'base team' **** started). Amur put up a fight (alas, they've been diving a lot, but it's because they want to win Ak Bars at any cost)
I wouldn't say they were diving. There were some dirty plays maybe. Some funny ones too like pulling a guys leg and bringing him down like it's king of the hill. Overall they put up a good fight. A nice team with a promising coach. They are just nowhere near the level overall and huge underdogs.

The real story in the East is the falling apart of Neftekhimik. I mean rumours about firing top players during a playoff series are something. And then the dirty Naz was only holding up for that long. Series not going his way and here we go. Dirt and fights and suspensions and idiotic interviews by Naz. When do teams learn he is a time bomb? He might even have success for a whole regular season and then he completely goes berserk and his team mails it in with a scandal left and scandal right.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017

I have to wonder, why this video is still geoblocked? If we here in the "west" can only see that twitter video, then ofcourse we think that the refs were biased and assume that the refs had that same material available. If behind that link there is the video material, that were available for the referees, then KHL should unblock it for the rest of the "KHL world". Or maybe they just don't care what people here thinks of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad