Gagarin Cup Play-Off 2017

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
They lost 1 game to Dynamo.

Koshechkin saved MMG's ass. They will need to play much better in St. Petersburg.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Cant beleive the refs blew the game for MMG. How can you miss a call like that. Even if they missed, they could have discussed it (dont know if its reviewable). The refs should be replaced or punished for that. It was so bad it looked like intentional non call

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
So, 42.86% were right, and SKA wins their 2nd Gagarin Cup in 3 years.

And this without Datsyuk and Voynov. The series really was a paragon of tremendous hockey. Magnitka played scared for far too long, and Fortuna smiled upon the other team far too long, but honestly I doubt there ever was a KHL series of such a high level. Way to ruin your comeback chance on 2 junior-level mistakes late in the 3rd period of an elimination match, however. The undoubtly better team won though, and, honestly, if the league doesn't take some steps to increase the parity level, the next season won't generate nearly as much of interest as this one did.

Syomin was particularily disappointing these playoffs, 2 assists in 18 games is completely unacceptable.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara

And this without Datsyuk and Voynov. The series really was a paragon of tremendous hockey. Magnitka played scared for far too long, and Fortuna smiled upon the other team far too long, but honestly I doubt there ever was a KHL series of such a high level. Way to ruin your comeback chance on 2 junior-level mistakes late in the 3rd period of an elimination match, however. The undoubtly better team won though, and, honestly, if the league doesn't take some steps to increase the parity level, the next season won't generate nearly as much of interest as this one did.

Syomin was particularily disappointing these playoffs, 2 assists in 18 games is completely unacceptable.

This. The season was great but it's getting more and more one-sided as years pass by. A couple of years ago, we used to talk about how many contenders KHL can produce. Recently though, it has been mostly about SKA and Magnitka. While MMG is probably done for with all their old payers, SKA has unlimited cash and snatching ability. I'm not asking Kuznya to fight for a Gagarin Cup but at least there must be a level of parity for top 8 to 10 teams. There will always be strong favorites but give us three or four of them, at least.

So, now it's all over... FeelsBadMan

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
This. The season was great but it's getting more and more one-sided as years pass by. A couple of years ago, we used to talk about how many contenders KHL can produce. Recently though, it has been mostly about SKA and Magnitka. While MMG is probably done for with all their old payers, SKA has unlimited cash and snatching ability. I'm not asking Kuznya to fight for a Gagarin Cup but at least there must be a level of parity for top 8 to 10 teams. There will always be strong favorites but give us three or four of them, at least.
The most annoying thing is, aside from the top dragons dominance, the season was actually one of the best (if not the very best) in terms of competitiveness and intrigue.

A very easy playoff MVP choice:

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Yeah, Semin was terrible. He didn't produce and took dumb penalties.

In the final, Mozyakin and Zaripov looked their age.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Where is a parity in Spanish football league? German? Italy? France? EPL? Every European pro league is about disparity. Because Europe isn't NA, disparity is a European tradition.

What way will you achieve a parity between SKA and Yurga? Between CSKA and Novokuznetsk? Hell, between Osasuna and Real Madrid? Yeah, no way.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
What way will you achieve a parity between SKA and Yurga? Between CSKA and Novokuznetsk? Hell, between Osasuna and Real Madrid? Yeah, no way.
I don't care about Spanish football and have no idea how far Osasuna is from Real. Football is a different sport anyway, with several top leagues and very strong fan culture in each of them, which is why I am in bewilderment why would this example be relevant.

Just tell me one thing: did you enjoy the playoffs as a display of very clear superiority of one team over another in most series? Or one certain team being obviously the best in the league without a realistic challanger?

I have posted numerous times that the measures needed to be implemented first are hard salary cap (or punishing luxury tax of 200-300%) and open payrolls. It won't bring Kuznya to CSKA's level, but it won't allow a certain team to buy a championship. Thankfully, Fetisov has already expressed his agreement with me, and now Tretiak and Mutko (for what they're worth) also made it clear that they finally understood the necessity of changes in the KHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't care about Spanish football and have no idea how far Osasuna is from Real. Football is a different sport anyway, with several top leagues and very strong fan culture in each of them, which is why I am in bewilderment why would this example be relevant.

Just tell me one thing: did you enjoy the playoffs as a display of very clear superiority of one team over another in most series? Or one certain team being obviously the best in the league without a realistic challanger?

I have posted numerous times that the measures needed to be implemented first are hard salary cap (or punishing luxury tax of 200-300%) and open payrolls. It won't bring Kuznya to CSKA's level, but it won't allow a certain team to buy a championship. Thankfully, Fetisov has already expressed his agreement with me, and now Tretiak and Mutko (for what they're worth) also made it clear that they finally understood the necessity of changes in the KHL.

I don't care about the KHL entertaining level, to me it's a development league. Current disparity let it have some good players, which helps youngster's development. If they make all teams equally poor (and it's impossible to make them equally rich), then the league's level will inevitably decrease, which will hurt players' development.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't care about the KHL entertaining level, to me it's a development league. Current disparity let it have some good players, which helps youngster's development. If they make all teams equally poor (and it's impossible to make them equally rich), then the league's level will inevitably decrease, which will hurt players' development.
You don't seem to understand how a salary cap works: it doesn't oblige every team in the league to spend the equal amount of money, it creates the upper limit that spendings can't exceed. Not allowing SKA to add Datsyuk to the juggernaut they have already assembled won't make them poorer, or decrease the league's level.

However, if you state you don't care about the league's entertainment level, I'm not sure there's a reason for a discussion any way.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara

Yes, snatching several good guys with great potential only to render their respective teams inefficient and sitting them on bench to rust is a great way to develop young players. :sarcasm: Hard cap is a must for KHL, end of the story. Not even arguable.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He has nothing left in the tank. He was great last year when MMG won the Cup, he allowed his team to reach the finals with a great performance in the 3rd round. He's done, MMG needs to move on from him.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
You don't seem to understand how a salary cap works: it doesn't oblige every team in the league to spend the equal amount of money, it creates the upper limit that spendings can't exceed. Not allowing SKA to add Datsyuk to the juggernaut they have already assembled won't make them poorer, or decrease the league's level.

I'm not really sure the KHL is in the right position to truly accept a salary cap.
Only a few teams can pay big money to attract big players, if those teams are limited, the KHL won't have kovalchuks, datsyuks, sobotkas, etc., anymore.
Other ways should be explored, IMHO.

steap

Aug 15, 2008
Novosibirsk, Russia
I'm not really sure the KHL is in the right position to truly accept a salary cap.
Only a few teams can pay big money to attract big players, if those teams are limited, the KHL won't have kovalchuks, datsyuks, sobotkas, etc., anymore.
Other ways should be explored, IMHO.

When whole country is in economical crusis I could say that we don't need Kovalchuks, Datsyuks and etc for such money (especially in one team).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I can agree on "especially in one team". But sports won't go hand-in-hand with what citizens earn... do you think regular people's wage in Spain or Italy or even in Greece is related with football?

:facepalm: Again with the football comparison... :shakehead You really should change your record, it's asinine to compare hockey and football. So much more money involved in football and people are more willing to pay for ridiculously expensive season tickets. Not even close to the situation with hockey.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
:facepalm: Again with the football comparison... :shakehead You really should change your record, it's asinine to compare hockey and football. So much more money involved in football and people are more willing to pay for ridiculously expensive season tickets. Not even close to the situation with hockey.

You missed the point. My point is that citizens and athletes aren't in the same world, in Russia, in North America, in Finland, everywhere.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
When whole country is in economical crusis I could say that we don't need Kovalchuks, Datsyuks and etc for such money (especially in one team).
can you please tell me where I should go to whitness that crsis you are talking about?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

While this is true, hockey has many rich men who are willing to foot the bill for us to all enjoy, so I don't see a problem :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->