Gagarin Cup Play-Off 2017

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I think probably a Magnitka-CSKA or Magnitka-SKA final.

Yep, the boring fact is that pretty much everyone knew that before the season started.

Yes, games provide entertainment but the bigger picture is rather dull atm. I sincerely hope i am wrong here but it doesn't look like there's a major upset on the horizon.

AKB - AVG game yesterday was a lot of fun.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think probably a Magnitka-CSKA or Magnitka-SKA final.

Yep, the boring fact is that pretty much everyone knew that before the season started.

Yes, games provide entertainment but the bigger picture is rather dull atm. I sincerely hope i am wrong here but it doesn't look like there's a major upset on the horizon.

AKB - AVG game yesterday was a lot of fun.

Those 3 teams are too far ahead of the competition for upsets to happen. Maybe one of the three get upset this season but I guarantee that the Cup winner will be among those 3 teams for sure.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Mozyakin, Kovar and Zaripov are unstoppable right now. The old foxes are doing it again. Repeat Cup champions? ;)

I think so. Its so funny watching Barys trying to defend the PP. Mozyakin sets up along the side, and everyone knows its going to either Kovar in front for the tip or Zaripov on the far flank for the one timer. Its funny watching the Dman try to pick which guy to pick up. One of the goals you could see the D playing chicken trying to predict. Of course they score and he just shrugs his shoulders at Karlson, what more can you do. Too awesome.

DBC

Apr 20, 2015
Im so disappointed in Dynamo Moscow.

They play a very well tight checking game, but completely **** the bed every game on special teams.
SKA can get pinned in their own end for 2 minutes, then a dumb slashing penalty dejects the entire Dynamo team . You can see it on everyones face, including the coaching staff. Boom* Automatic goal.

Its the sole reason they are losing this series.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think so. Its so funny watching Barys trying to defend the PP. Mozyakin sets up along the side, and everyone knows its going to either Kovar in front for the tip or Zaripov on the far flank for the one timer. Its funny watching the Dman try to pick which guy to pick up. One of the goals you could see the D playing chicken trying to predict. Of course they score and he just shrugs his shoulders at Karlson, what more can you do. Too awesome.

It's incredible how easy they make it look. They just do whatever they want around Barys' net. The way they shrug their shoulders after each goal, that's the look of a defeated team.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Aaand swept is Barys. Too bad, they really gave their best, too bad Magnitka's 1st line is just unfair.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I do enjoy yo guys talking about how there are only 3 teams in the KHL :laugh:

It's true that there are three main candidates to win the title. It doesn't necessarily mean there are no other teams. It's just those three are the most likely ones to prevail. Who else can you name? Ak Bars? This is not their year. They're a good team, which will probably be a contender again very soon, but this season is not theirs. SKA, CSKA and Magnitka are all one step ahead of them. Can Ak Bars win it all? Sure. But it would be a surprise.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
CSKA hasn't advanced yet, Loko could knock them out.

There are certainly more then 3 top dogs in KHL, it's just others are rebuilding.

If you look at the history of KHL, it has actually been surprisingly competitive.

- 5 different winners in 8 years.
- There has yet to be a true dynasty.
- Most of the finals (5 of 8) have been a 7-game series.
- Continental Cup Winner (team with most regular season points) has never won the title.
- Of the 35 teams that have ever participated, 32 have qualified for the playoffs at least once.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's true that there are three main candidates to win the title. It doesn't necessarily mean there are no other teams. It's just those three are the most likely ones to prevail. Who else can you name? Ak Bars? This is not their year. They're a good team, which will probably be a contender again very soon, but this season is not theirs. SKA, CSKA and Magnitka are all one step ahead of them. Can Ak Bars win it all? Sure. But it would be a surprise.

AkBars has won the season series against SKA, lost to CSKA and was even against MMG. So what exactly are you talking about?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
CSKA hasn't advanced yet, Loko could knock them out.

There are certainly more then 3 top dogs in KHL, it's just others are rebuilding.

If you look at the history of KHL, it has actually been surprisingly competitive.

- 5 different winners in 8 years.
- There has yet to be a true dynasty.
- Most of the finals (5 of 8) have been a 7-game series.
- Continental Cup Winner (team with most regular season points) has never won the title.
- Of the 35 teams that have ever participated, 32 have qualified for the playoffs at least once.

I didn't state otherwise. I'm just saying that there are three main candidates. It was like that during regular season as well. Can Loko or Ak Bars come out on top? Sure, but that would be considered a surprise. That's the whole point. Two years later, maybe SKA being champions would be a surprise and Ak Bars would be the favorites. For now, though, any team other than CSKA-SKA-Magnitka would surprise me a lot.

AkBars has won the season series against SKA, lost to CSKA and was even against MMG. So what exactly are you talking about?

Why do you act like I said Ak Bars is the worst team ever? Avtomobilist also won season series against SKA. Two games in sixty is not significant.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
SKA and MMG have been so dominant in the regular season and the playoffs, hard to see someone stop them in their own conference. MMG in particular is a step ahead of everyone in the East, and I'm sure they'll beat Ak Bars without too much trouble.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
SKA leads 2-0 after 2 periods. 32-8 in terms of SOG. We can all say goodbye Dynamo. Not a surprise of course.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
SKA and MMG have been so dominant in the regular season and the playoffs, hard to see someone stop them in their own conference. MMG in particular is a step ahead of everyone in the East, and I'm sure they'll beat Ak Bars without too much trouble.

Just wait and see how many wrongs there are in your post.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I didn't state otherwise. I'm just saying that there are three main candidates. It was like that during regular season as well. Can Loko or Ak Bars come out on top? Sure, but that would be considered a surprise. That's the whole point. Two years later, maybe SKA being champions would be a surprise and Ak Bars would be the favorites. For now, though, any team other than CSKA-SKA-Magnitka would surprise me a lot.

Why do you act like I said Ak Bars is the worst team ever? Avtomobilist also won season series against SKA. Two games in sixty is not significant.

CSKA is losing the series.

SKA falling to Loko would not surprise me.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
So, Lokomotiv managed to turn the series around and knock CSKA out! :handclap:

Panin with a season killer against his own team, managing to get two major penalties in one shift. For those who missed that paragon of blatant and cowardly goonery, watch it here: https://video.khl.ru/quotes/427065

Just a reminder who that ****** is:

This idiot deserves a Ryspayev treatment. As the CSKA season is now over, a suspension until the end of 2017, a 1M rubles fine for each of Panin and Kvartalnov, and also a forced trade to Kuznya could be enough though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad