Gagarin Cup Play-Off 2017

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Hi everyone,

Last year, we had a separate thread for the play-off and it was nice. So I decided to create one for 2017 as well with a poll. :) From last year's post,

* I feel for Loko... You get 125pts in regular season and get SKA for play-off first round? Must be annoying.

* Torpedo has been a top 4 contender for most of the season. However, they ended up getting only 7th spot, which I honestly didn't expect.

* Admiral declined terribly in recent days, thus losing their home advantage and eventually dropping till 6th place. They could have played against Ufa with home advantage; now they will have to get past Sibir with four of the games to be played in Novosibirsk.

* Ak Bars & Salavat Yulaev derby in first round... Should we be happy to see this or sad because one of the teams will have to leave so early?

Striking similarities! Torpedo had a strong grip on 3rd place for better part of the season only to come 6th in the end, dropping 12pts in last 5 games. Same goes for Admiral. From a relatively comfortable 5th-6th position to almost-out 7th place after struggling in last several games. And Green Derby in first round, once again!

Last year, 20 of 58 voters (%34) predicted CSKA to win Gagarin Cup. Only 5 (%9) went for Magnitka, the eventual winners. Let's see how it will unravel this time. My logic goes with SKA but my heart is surely with Avangard, though I don't have high hopes. Maybe if Magnitka slips before meeting us, which is, again, highly unlikely.

First round pairs,

WEST

[1] CSKA v Jokerit [8]
[2] SKA v Vityaz [7]
[3] Dynamo Moscow v Torpedo[6]
[4] Lokomotiv v Dynamo Minsk [5]

EAST

[1] Metallurg MG v Red Star Kunlun [8]
[2] Avangard v Admiral [7]
[3] Ak Bars v Salavat Yulaev [6]
[4] Traktor v Barys [5]

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Yes, go Avangard!

I know at the beginning of the season we were both concerned what kind of campaign this would be. Getting a 2 seed is great, but Magnitka is of course in the way. I gave them the vote.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Yeah, I think the only team that can stop SKA is Magnitka, but I still voted for the money bag from St. Petersburg.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
3 votes on Jokerit already? They have no chance for anything IMO. Too inconsistent.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Jokerit good fight CSKA and SKA in reagular season, so i think Jokerit is a black horses ;)

If they somehow take down CSKA, they will meet SKA. Just impossible. Miracles happen but this takes more than a miracle. I'd be surprised if Jokerit took three games from CSKA, maybe even two is good for them. No team can match CSKA and SKA in West. If Jokerit played in Eastern conference, maybe they could have done something... But in West, no. Moreover, I'm pretty sure CSKA and SKA will play with way more energy and focus this time. This is not regular season and we all know how Jokerit choked against Torpedo last year - they were supposed to be way more successful than this season. Personally, I expect something similar to CSKA-Slovan pair of last season. Slovan never gave up and put up a really good fight in all games but in the end were swept. It's the most likely scenario for Jokerit as well. Maybe one or two games stolen, nothing more.

By the way, about Salavat... When do Omark and Hartikainen return? Will they?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If they somehow take down CSKA, they will meet SKA. Just impossible. Miracles happen but this takes more than a miracle. I'd be surprised if Jokerit took three games from CSKA, maybe even two is good for them. No team can match CSKA and SKA in West. If Jokerit played in Eastern conference, maybe they could have done something... But in West, no. Moreover, I'm pretty sure CSKA and SKA will play with way more energy and focus this time. This is not regular season and we all know how Jokerit choked against Torpedo last year - they were supposed to be way more successful than this season. Personally, I expect something similar to CSKA-Slovan pair of last season. Slovan never gave up and put up a really good fight in all games but in the end were swept. It's the most likely scenario for Jokerit as well. Maybe one or two games stolen, nothing more.

By the way, about Salavat... When do Omark and Hartikainen return? Will they?

Omark joined main group today

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I know that chances are basically non-existant, but I would like to see a surprise winner this time around. Yaroslavl or Nizhny Novgorod, it would be good for hockey.

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
I know that chances are basically non-existant, but I would like to see a surprise winner this time around. Yaroslavl or Nizhny Novgorod, it would be good for hockey.
I'm with you. Anyone except SKA would be a surprise. So I voted CSKA....

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If SKA is serious about Koskinen starting, I'm changing my vote to Magnitka. He is a big liability, and has been all season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm excited about Kunlun making the playoffs. China will get its first taste of premium quality playoff hockey against the reigning KHL champions. I'm a Magnitka fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kunlun win a game or two for the sake of hockey.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How in the world did SKA wind up with 2nd seed?

By getting less points than CSKA I guess:sarcasm:

They are not unbeatable at all. Especially in the playoffs. For Vityaz to win the series would require some heroics, but after that SKA would face teams that can beat them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm assuming their defense is their main weakness.

Their forward lines and goaltenders are excellent.

Defense is definitely a problem, its not as good as many would think. They make a lot of defensive errors.

I wouldn't say "their goaltenders are excellent". The playoff back up has been excellent, the playoff starter has been awful.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Attendance in CSKA-Jokerit game... 2300. That is damn low for the number one team of a 12 million ppl city.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
If the first game is any indicator, Loko v Minsk is going to be a great series. Not sure who to cheer for, as I like both teams, but should be fun hockey.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
CSKA players must feel good.. Winning the regular season title and what do they get in the first game of play offs.. 2300 fans sitting silently like in a church on Sunday. Could someone explain me wtf is going on lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad