Confirmed with Link: Gabriel Vilardi signs 3-year ELC

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I hate to be that guy but you keep Cliff, need him for culture.
Have liked Cliffie all these years but the Kings need to make room for our youngsters so...off to TO with Martinez and Quick at the trade deadline...ooops they have already traded their 2020 pick to Carolina for Cap space and Marleau...then off to Dallas then...

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
The full Rosen article clarifies this.
"But pain management is still something he’ll have to deal with throughout his career, as is the case with a number of players who experience back injuries."

Hockey players put tremendous torsion on their lower backs. Overuse is a problem. Much like professional baseball teams keep track of pitch counts, Vilardi needs to keep track of his practice shots. He has to stick to a protocol to keep his core strength and work to keep strong those muscles that don’t get used as often by playing hockey. There are push/pull muscles that can become imbalanced. Vilardi has to stay on top of those issues on a daily basis. But my hats off to him, his doctors and the kings for getting him to this point. I recently read that Mario Lemieux had back issues too when he was a similar age and back then they prescribed NSAIDS for pain management and sent him out there to play. There were points in his career where he couldn’t bend over to tie his own skates and had to have the trainers do that for him.

Reactions: lumbergh
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Hockey players put tremendous torsion on their lower backs. Overuse is a problem. Much like professional baseball teams keep track of pitch counts, Vilardi needs to keep track of his practice shots. He has to stick to a protocol to keep his core strength and work to keep strong those muscles that don’t get used as often by playing hockey. There are push/pull muscles that can become imbalanced. Vilardi has to stay on top of those issues on a daily basis. But my hats off to him, his doctors and the kings for getting him to this point. I recently read that Mario Lemieux had back issues too when he was a similar age and back then they prescribed NSAIDS for pain management and sent him out there to play. There were points in his career where he couldn’t bend over to tie his own skates and had to have the trainers do that for him.
Yah and then he topped that by playing the same day after receiving treatment for Leukemia.

Reactions: Statto

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If I recall, after his spell out with the cancer he came back and played some of the best hockey of his career.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You’d be correct though he started slowing down after the 95 season. He’s an all-timer, third or fourth best all time hockey player in my book.

I know on HF years ago there were heated Gretzky vs Lemieux threads.
For me he’s number 2 behind Gretzky but it’s a whole other thread/forum/argument lol.

Reactions: DryIslandBartender

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Still in a non contact jersey I presume?

Don't believe he's skating with the Reign yet, from last week (Thursday):

"Today’s plan was for Vilardi to take the ice with a bigger group of “four or five” extra skaters and the development staff, per hockey ops. He’ll continue to be evaluated weekly, with the next step potentially being integrated into Ontario Reign practices. This follows standard protocol from injured players coming back from an injury in which they skate in a track suit, skate in complete gear by themselves, skate with a handful of players, gradually become integrated into full team skates, and then handle contact before their activation is weighed."

So skating with the Reign in a non-contact jersey would be the next step

Jun 30, 2006
Baby steps. He'll play a game in May of 2024

17793374.jpg

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I was expecting Vilardi back with the Reign by January/ February. So it’s genuinely positive news he is with the organization and actively progressing.

My guess is that at the current rate, assuming no set backs, he could be seeing some game action after Thanksgiving.

Reactions: RossLonsberryFan

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It's pretty unfortunate all this positive news gets ruined on the Internet from people competing for the best injury joke. And it's just not here.

Two weeks ago people didn't even know he was skating on his own. Now he's skating with the Reign.
Don’t let it ruin it for you. If you wanna be excited, be excited.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Still with a red jersey on. I want to see him take some hits and survive a few practices. Good news for him sure, but he adds nothing to this team but hope. Still lots of things that can go wrong and until his development is back on track we are way to early to pencil him anywhere in our lineup next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad