Gabriel Landeskog vs Adam Larsson

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'd go with the Landeskog over Larsson the same way I'd go with Mike Richards and Jonathan Toews over Backstrom, Malkin, B. Richards, Getzlaf, Thornton...all players you could argue are more talented than Richards and Toews.

I could probably use that rationale for any team in the top 5 right now...but especially for my team. I want a born leader and I'd say Landeskog is the most heralded one to come about at the top of a draft class since Toews. The latest article on Landeskog and a goalie dropping the gloves over playoff intensity practices led by Landeskog just ups his value to me.

Teams have won Stanley Cups without Norris winners and perrenial Art Ross candidates....but they usually need a leader, and Ottawa should take this opportunity to find a new one with Alfredsson career in question for as soon as next season. If we can envision putting the "C" on this guy for 10-15 years, he's our guy.

Last edited:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Don't know about Landeskog, but Couturier is a phenom and always has been. He dominated a league full of 17 year olds as a 13 year old. He was the youngest player to lead the Q in scoring since Crosby. I bet if it wasn't for a bout with mono earlier this season, he'd be putting up more points than anyone in the CHL right now. He's a safe bet to pick with the first overall imo.

Can somebody please direct me to some video footage of SC that will impress me? I've heard a ton about him, was unimpressed by his performance at the WJC (and willing to grant a mulligan as he's not a 3rd liner) but everything I've seen of him leaves me feeling "meh". So he scored a goal in junior from his knees... I've just seen a lot of garbage goals apart from that.

As far as I'm concerned there's 3 atop the draft.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I'd go with the Landeskog over Larsson the same way I'd go with Mike Richards and Jonathan Toews over Backstrom, Malkin, B. Richards, Getzlaf, Thornton...all players you could argue are more talented than Richards and Toews.

I could probably use that rationale for any team in the top 5 right now...but especially for my team. I want a born leader and I'd say Landeskog is the most heralded one to come about at the top of a draft class since Toews. The latest article on Landeskog and a goalie dropping the gloves over playoff intensity practices led by Landeskog just ups his value to me.

I'd be more with you if Landeskog has won anything. Toews seemed like a winner everywhere he goes. Toews' resume is unbelievable for a player his age. To be worthy of being the first overall pick due to "intangibles" quality, I think Landeskog needs to be more accomplished. Here's hoping the Memorial Cup is in his future.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Can somebody please direct me to some video footage of SC that will impress me? I've heard a ton about him, was unimpressed by his performance at the WJC (and willing to grant a mulligan as he's not a 3rd liner) but everything I've seen of him leaves me feeling "meh". So he scored a goal in junior from his knees... I've just seen a lot of garbage goals apart from that.

Speaking of the WJC, he was the youngest to make the team and he didn't play badly at all. People put too much stock into one tournament.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

What is there by RNH that is really 'impressive'? How about getting cut by team Canada in stead of Couts?

Anyway, the whole 'BPA' theory is completely relative to the team picking. Every scout is going to have different players ranked a certain way. The only times that there is this true 'BPA' thing taken into effect is when the other players available are clearly a level lower.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'd be more with you if Landeskog has won anything. Toews seemed like a winner everywhere he goes. Toews' resume is unbelievable for a player his age. To be worthy of being the first overall pick due to "intangibles" quality, I think Landeskog needs to be more accomplished. Here's hoping the Memorial Cup is in his future.

That's kind of unfair. He got hurt a couple games before the WJC, and Kitchener hasn't been the strongest team the past couple of years. Everyone thought we would have gotten steamrolled in the playoffs last season and we ended up advancing further than even I expected, and really were a handful for a stacked Spitfires team.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
What is there by RNH that is really 'impressive'? How about getting cut by team Canada in stead of Couts?

Anyway, the whole 'BPA' theory is completely relative to the team picking. Every scout is going to have different players ranked a certain way. The only times that there is this true 'BPA' thing taken into effect is when the other players available are clearly a level lower.

I get it. You have a boner for Lando and Couturier. Just ******* stop already. I asked if anyone has a link or knows where I can see some good footage, troll.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
That's kind of unfair. He got hurt a couple games before the WJC, and Kitchener hasn't been the strongest team the past couple of years. Everyone thought we would have gotten steamrolled in the playoffs last season and we ended up advancing further than even I expected, and really were a handful for a stacked Spitfires team.

Well......I seem to remember a large number of experts were disputing the talents of Jeff Skinner.
I'll just sit back and watch Gabe prove us right......again!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I get it. You have a boner for Lando and Couturier. Just ******* stop already. I asked if anyone has a link or knows where I can see some good footage, troll.

Haha what are you talking about?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Way different career paths by the age of 18. Toews never won an NCAA championship and played for Canada internationally; usually the favourites. If you think Toews was a shoe-in for a Memorial Cup championship or even just an appearance you're kidding yourself. A lot of teams will be gauging Landeskog's total package during the playoffs...and how well Kitchener does probably will have some sort of effect on just how well teams perceive him as a leader, it's kind of icing on the cake though.

We don't know what Landeskog had in store for his 18 year old WJC, he was hurt. Maybe Canada would have won if they had a player like him.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Way different career paths by the age of 18. Toews never won an NCAA championship and played for Canada internationally; usually the favourites. If you think Toews was a shoe-in for a Memorial Cup championship or even just an appearance you're kidding yourself. A lot of teams will be gauging Landeskog's total package during the playoffs...and how well Kitchener does probably will have some sort of effect on just how well teams perceive him as a leader, it's kind of icing on the cake though.

We don't know what Landeskog had in store for his 18 year old WJC, he was hurt. Maybe Canada would have won if they had a player like him.

Ooooo you had to go there, eh? That was just healing over nicely...

H2O

Sep 18, 2005

Maybe. There's a lot of maybes here and I don't like it when I'm picking 1st overall.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Maybe. There's a lot of maybes here and I don't like it when I'm picking 1st overall.

There's maybes with every prospect. Landeskog's actually as sure a bet is there is in the draft. We're talking about "maybes" as to whether Landeskog could win as much as Toews...this is a team sport man, but a leaders a leader and sometimes great leaders play for poor teams, often they do not win.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
There's maybes with every prospect. Landeskog's actually as sure a bet is there is in the draft. We're talking about "maybes" as to whether Landeskog could win as much as Toews...this is a team sport man, but a leaders a leader and sometimes great leaders play for poor teams, often they do not win.

That's fair. I just remember that in Toews' draft year, I was so high on him because he's just a proven winner. Since Landeskog may be a comparable player, I wish he'd be comparable in accomplishments so I can throw FULL support behind picking him. I do acknowledge that different circumstances prevents Landeskog from achieving what Toews achieved, but I think it is still a valid reservation on my part.

slapshot12phil

Dec 18, 2010
Adam Larsson and it is not even debatable.

Potential Norris Candidate or a 50-70 point player with intangibles????

hmmm....

pluppe

Apr 6, 2009
Landeskog will go to Ottawa for two reasons:

1. Ottawa will look towards needs more than the best player. Larsen is the best defensman in the draft, but Landeskog is the best winger in the Draft. If Ottawa is 1st overall I would pull off a trade to move to #2 so we can get Landeskog and a good asset. To move up to the 1st overall pick would be at least a high second rounder in my mind or a roster player that has potential.

2. Landeskog has blown away people with his speed and his skill and that he plays the game like a Canadian. He is a great leader in the dressing room and comes with a full packages, responsible defensivly, offensivly gifted and can fight. Landeskog in my mind is an Alex Burrows type player easily, but with a bit more upside.

What I would like to see happen is this:

We get the 1st overall pick and trade for the 2nd overall with a trade like Nashville 1st and milan michalek or something on the lines of that as I am sure edmonton would be interested in that deal like that for sure. Jersey I do not think would be but you never know. This would be the hardest trade to pull off but to get Larsen and Landeskog two sweeds to come to Ottawa to join Karlsson, Rundblad, Jakob silvferberg would be huge as they would enjoy Ottawa and can create some sweedish magic. Just my opinion though...people will put it down some people will agree. No need for the bashing comments. Just either accept the comment or say i dont agree :P

I don´t want to single you out but I have seen this several times and it really blows my mind that people use "like a canadian" as praise. I think it´s ridiculously ignorant.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
I dont know.

To me, Larsson seems like the best player now and to have the brightest future by a fair margin.

The reason I would hesitate is that it should be considered quite proven by now that D-men are really hard to predict at draft age. Usually they dont show their cards until 23-35.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
I dont know.

To me, Larsson seems like the best player now and to have the brightest future by a fair margin.

The reason I would hesitate is that it should be considered quite proven by now that D-men are really hard to predict at draft age. Usually they dont show their cards until 23-35.

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
if, for some ungodly reason, landeskog and larsson are both there when the isles pick, i would take larsson. build for the net out, it seems like larsson has the higher upside and only a year ago people would saying they would take him first overall in LAST years draft.

tho i wouldnt cry if somehow they came away with landeskog.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
if, for some ungodly reason, landeskog and larsson are both there when the isles pick, i would take larsson. build for the net out, it seems like larsson has the higher upside and only a year ago people would saying they would take him first overall in LAST years draft.

tho i wouldnt cry if somehow they came away with landeskog.
if the isles were building from the net out they'd draft a goalie

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Adam Larsson and it is not even debatable.

Potential Norris Candidate or a 50-70 point player with intangibles????

hmmm....

Nice way of working that into Larssons favour by using the height of his potential verus something that isn't Landeskog.

Potential Norris Winner 2 way defensemen vs a 45 goal 85 point Selke contender with intangibles.

Way closer isn't it?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
You sell Landeskog short with the vauge description. Larssons a potential top pairing defesemen, but Landeskog is a potential first line Selke winning winger.

just curious, who was the last winger to win a Selke? was Jere Lehtinen a winger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->