Gabriel Landeskog vs Adam Larsson

member 96824

I want Murphy. The kid's skating level is off the charts, his speed is incredible, and his shot is deadly. I have no problem with his size which has been very overrated, he's 5'11"...but also because he makes up for it with his skating and his hip check. I think he'll be a real game changer...and teams will be pissed they skipped over him.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
I want Murphy. The kid's skating level is off the charts, his speed is incredible, and his shot is deadly. I have no problem with his size which has been very overrated, he's 5'11"...but also because he makes up for it with his skating and his hip check. I think he'll be a real game changer...and teams will be pissed they skipped over him.

He's listed as 175lbs on EP - regardless of his height (people talk about his size like he's a midget) - thats a problem if they want him to play the 11/12 season in the NHL.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
He's listed as 175lbs on EP - regardless of his height (people talk about his size like he's a midget) - thats a problem if they want him to play the 11/12 season in the NHL.

Murphy will probably be picked by a GM who's very secure with his job and will be patient to allow Murphy to develop and grow.
Other GM's will feel the pressure to give their fans immediate hope and saviour with either Landeskog or Larsson (I'm a big fan of both especially Landeskog)
But Murphys talent level is off the charts (I've followed the OHL/OHA for close to 50 years) and eventually his NHL team will reap it's rewards with him.

* It must be noted that the top 4 players (Larsson, Landeskog, Murphy and RNH) are totally different players and it will be
interesting where each one lands in the draft.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Murphy will probably be picked by a GM who's very secure with his job and will be patient to allow Murphy to develop and grow.
Other GM's will feel the pressure to give their fans immediate hope and saviour with either Landeskog or Larsson (I'm a big fan of both especially Landeskog)
But Murphys talent level is off the charts (I've followed the OHL/OHA for close to 50 years) and eventually his NHL team will reap it's rewards with him.

* It must be noted that the top 4 players (Larsson, Landeskog, Murphy and RNH) are totally different players and it will be
interesting where each one lands in the draft.

I agree.

I could see Lou picking Murphy with a fourth or a fifth pick.
That said, it seems like the Devils will win the draft lottery and I don't, personally, see Murphy going first.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Remember when there were Swedish scouts/coaches calling Anton Stralman the next Lidstrom? LOL.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=460961
A March article by Patrik Thorneus in Sweden's Aftonbladet newspaper detailed Stralman's standing in his home country.

Said Torgny Bendelin, a former Swedish national junior team coach: "I've said it before and I'll say it again. He's the next Nicklas Lidstrom. Quite simply a fantastic player. He's has enormous talent."

Swedish commentator Niklas Wikegard said: "Stralman has a tremendous presence on the ice. He can dominate an entire shift in a way that only players the likes of Foppa (Peter Forsberg) and Nicklas Lidstrom are capable of doing."

Players like Ohlund and Bouwmeester seem like a better comparison to me, do people really see Larsson as a regular PPG dman like Lidstrom? He has never blown me away offensively from what I've seen.

KarmaIsAKiller

Larssonist
Apr 12, 2010
I don't think it's "blowing away" in either zone as much as controlling the pace and making crisp, fast decisions. When I think of a franchise defenseman - Pronger, Lidstrom, Blake, Leetch, Niedermayer - I think of a guy who can accelerate or temper the intensity of the game with a single pass. I think any "objective" observer could witness Larsson doing that during the WJC, despite some positional hiccups.

So the efficiency of his game is why you get stylistic comparisons to Lidstrom. I can see the easygoing style and understand how one might compare him to Ohlund or Bouwmeester. They do share the big frame, the smooth skating and the relatively laid-back demeanor,but neither of those guys are as mentally quick. Just my opinion, of course.

Aside from special teams, Lidstrom piles up many of his points by making that first great pass out of the zone and letting his talented forwards do the rest. As you probably already know, that is a major part of his PPG status. I see Larsson doing much of the same for the Devils or Oilers.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Remember when there were Swedish scouts/coaches calling Anton Stralman the next Lidstrom? LOL.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=460961

Players like Ohlund and Bouwmeester seem like a better comparison to me, do people really see Larsson as a regular PPG dman like Lidstrom? He has never blown me away offensively from what I've seen.

Did anyone claim Strålman reached his full pontential? - I think not. Although, the article was hilarious :laugh:
Regardless, it doesn't make any sense comparing a 216 overall pick to a potential first overall or Lidström, for that matter.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Bah, I'd say Adam Larsson plays more like Ray Bourque than Lidström. And no, i'm not saying he'll be as good as Bourque.

But hey, I guess the one he plays the most like is Adam Larsson ;)

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Bah, I'd say Adam Larsson plays more like Ray Bourque than Lidström. And no, i'm not saying he'll be as good as Bourque.

But hey, I guess the one he plays the most like is Adam Larsson ;)

Larsson by a hair...I usually don't like defensemen this high in the draft (other than Doughty, who has lived up to the billing lately?)

but Landeskog may be closer to Brenden Morrow and Larsson has a higher ceiling

lbernier

Jun 5, 2010
Landeskog will go to Ottawa for two reasons:

1. Ottawa will look towards needs more than the best player. Larsen is the best defensman in the draft, but Landeskog is the best winger in the Draft. If Ottawa is 1st overall I would pull off a trade to move to #2 so we can get Landeskog and a good asset. To move up to the 1st overall pick would be at least a high second rounder in my mind or a roster player that has potential.

2. Landeskog has blown away people with his speed and his skill and that he plays the game like a Canadian. He is a great leader in the dressing room and comes with a full packages, responsible defensivly, offensivly gifted and can fight. Landeskog in my mind is an Alex Burrows type player easily, but with a bit more upside.

What I would like to see happen is this:

We get the 1st overall pick and trade for the 2nd overall with a trade like Nashville 1st and milan michalek or something on the lines of that as I am sure edmonton would be interested in that deal like that for sure. Jersey I do not think would be but you never know. This would be the hardest trade to pull off but to get Larsen and Landeskog two sweeds to come to Ottawa to join Karlsson, Rundblad, Jakob silvferberg would be huge as they would enjoy Ottawa and can create some sweedish magic. Just my opinion though...people will put it down some people will agree. No need for the bashing comments. Just either accept the comment or say i dont agree :P

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007

1. Ottawa will look towards needs more than the best player. Larsen is the best defensman in the draft, but Landeskog is the best winger in the Draft. If Ottawa is 1st overall I would pull off a trade to move to #2 so we can get Landeskog and a good asset. To move up to the 1st overall pick would be at least a high second rounder in my mind or a roster player that has potential.

2. Landeskog has blown away people with his speed and his skill and that he plays the game like a Canadian. He is a great leader in the dressing room and comes with a full packages, responsible defensivly, offensivly gifted and can fight. Landeskog in my mind is an Alex Burrows type player easily, but with a bit more upside.

We get the 1st overall pick and trade for the 2nd overall with a trade like Nashville 1st and milan michalek or something on the lines of that as I am sure edmonton would be interested in that deal like that for sure. Jersey I do not think would be but you never know. This would be the hardest trade to pull off but to get Larsen and Landeskog two sweeds to come to Ottawa to join Karlsson, Rundblad, Jakob silvferberg would be huge as they would enjoy Ottawa and can create some sweedish magic. Just my opinion though...people will put it down some people will agree. No need for the bashing comments. Just either accept the comment or say i dont agree :P
Why do you say that? I don't see any indication that they would go for need as they've already shown a willingness to go against it last year, plus with Murray moving to a consultant role we don't even know who will be the guy making the pick.

And no, the Oilers would not be interested in a deal like that.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.

don't agree at all. on any of the points. murray has always done BPA and not for needs. trading the 1st overall picked has never worked out for the team that does so. we need a centre more than a winger. and if burrows+ is his upside, i think i'll pass on taking him 2nd overall. couturier is better defensively, has more upside and i dont need my Top 5 pick to fight.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
don't agree at all. on any of the points. murray has always done BPA and not for needs. trading the 1st overall picked has never worked out for the team that does so. we need a centre more than a winger. and if burrows+ is his upside, i think i'll pass on taking him 2nd overall. couturier is better defensively, has more upside and i dont need my Top 5 pick to fight.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I've seen 12+/- games by Couturier and almost 2 seasons of Landeskog.
For me it's not even a debate...Landeskog will be taken before SC.
Out of the 12 or so games I've seen by SC he may have had 4 or 5 meh games. With Landeskog it may have been at most 1 in the almost 2 seasons.
I've followed the Rangers since day 1 and Landy IMHO is the best player to play in Kitchener and the one with the greatest pro potential. Even surpassing the 5 HHOF former Rangers, Larry Robinson, Scott Stevens, Paul Coffey, Al MacInnis and Bill Barber.

Last edited:

4thliner*

Landeskog is CANON

Guy will not only meet expectations at the next level but PASS it. As in those that think he will be a 2nd liner in terms of points in the NHL.

When Landeskog is putting up 40 goals and 85-90 points a season with his package, many will easily call him a superstar that can do it all.

A guy that can skate through you with size and aggression, stick handle around you, or blow by you will sheer speed...and punch you in the face.

And happens to be your team captain.

Pyke*

The only way I pick Landeskog is if Larsson, RNH, and possibly Couturier are off the table.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Landeskog is CANON

Guy will not only meet expectations at the next level but PASS it. As in those that think he will be a 2nd liner in terms of points in the NHL.

When Landeskog is putting up 40 goals and 85-90 points a season with his package, many will easily call him a superstar that can do it all.

A guy that can skate through you with size and aggression, stick handle around you, or blow by you will sheer speed...and punch you in the face.

And happens to be your team captain.

:naughty:

KingJet*

I see Colorado swapping spots with the NYI in the draft and take Landeskog (don't flame please its just a thought) But It matters what I need, If I were the Oilers I take Larsson cause I need D, if I was the Avs, I'd take either and if I was the Sens I take either one.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
You NEVER pass up a future Lidstrom-like player.

Well it's a good thing there are none in this draft, that makes it easier.

I'll go with the best player in the draft Landeskog. Besides being Swedish what about Larsson is like Lidstrom?

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Well it's a good thing there are none in this draft, that makes it easier.

I'll go with the best player in the draft Landeskog. Besides being Swedish what about Larsson is like Lidstrom?

He plays the thinking game, got the ability to suddenly put his team on the offense. Besides that there's not much.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I'm not saying you're wrong but I've seen 12+/- games by Couturier and almost 2 seasons of Landeskog.
For me it's not even a debate...Landeskog will be taken before SC.
Out of the 12 or so games I've seen by SC he may have had 4 or 5 meh games. With Landeskog it may have been at most 1 in the almost 2 seasons.
I've followed the Rangers since day 1 and Landy IMHO is the best player to play in Kitchener and the one with the greatest pro potential. Even surpassing the 5 HHOF former Rangers, Larry Robinson, Scott Stevens, Paul Coffey, Al MacInnis and Bill Barber.

Don't know about Landeskog, but Couturier is a phenom and always has been. He dominated a league full of 17 year olds as a 13 year old. He was the youngest player to lead the Q in scoring since Crosby. I bet if it wasn't for a bout with mono earlier this season, he'd be putting up more points than anyone in the CHL right now. He's a safe bet to pick with the first overall imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad