Gabriel Landeskog vs Adam Larsson

4Isles4*

since the Isles could use both anyway im hoping they end up with one of these guys....

HemskyToHall*

You sell Landeskog short with the vauge description. Larssons a potential top pairing defesemen, but Landeskog is a potential first line Selke winning winger.

That's the thing, I don't like having the idea of a Brenden Morrow/Jere Lehtinen as a #1 pick.

One player can only bring so much intangibles.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
From a guy who has seen both play a lot:

Larsson=Franchise defense man(Ceiling)
Landeskog=The perfect first line Captain who can do it all(Ceiling)

I'd take Larsson though because franchise defense man are much harder to find than first line players and Larsson is a safer beat to get close to his potential even though it means top pairing defense man.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Please, the Lidstrom comparisons? Have you even watched the guy? Larsson is a right-handed, smarter Hedman with a bigger slapshot.

If you must compare his style of play to a Swedish defenceman it's closer to Mattias Ohlund or said Hedman.

I definitely would take Landeskog, by the way. The risk of Landeskog not panning out to a top-6 forward is way smaller than the risk of Larsson not panning out to be a top-4 D.

That being said, it obviously is intruiging for any GM to pick Larsson because he is so big and strong, can move well and has got a lot of skill. The sky is the limit for a guy like that obviously, but there's so much that's gotta be right for that to happen. There's no coincidence a lot of the best defenceman in the league are taken in lower rounds or far from the top because they're so hard to project.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
There are exceptions, of course (and moreso in recent years). But typically, a GM does not expect an 18 year old to step in from Day One and "fill" a current major hole on his NHL roster. For example, Larsson may be "can't miss" (wish I had a dime for every time that phrase is casually thrown around) and becomes the most talented dman in NJD's organization the moment he is drafted. Even so, Lou will not be expecting him to give him #1 dman, 30 quality minutes in every game situation starting next October. Unfair to the player and unwise planning.
islanders go against this :laugh:

:cry:
since the Isles could use both anyway im hoping they end up with one of these guys....

i barely watched the WJC this year so i didnt see the 2011 eligible players much, unlike last year, so i cant judge them by my eyes but by scouting reports ive seen im really intrigued by gabriel landeskog. him, nino and okposo can make up for some solid 2-way wingers in the future. all three have potential for 30+ goals and a solid all around game. that would make me very, very happy.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Larsson's potential is simply too high to miss.

“He’s much better now than Lidstrom was at the same age,” Tommy Boustedt, the Swedish hockey federation’s national director of development, said in a phone interview from Sweden. “If he hadn’t played for our under-18 team in April he would have played on our men’s national team in May, he’s that good.

“I think he will be, in the end, one of the best defenders our country has ever produced.”

(http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey/news?slug=ss-larsson100810)

Don't interpret that as Larsson is going to be better than Lindstrom as Lindstrom was a bit of a late bloomer so it's hard to compare. He is one of top 2 defensemen at all time so saying that Larsson is 1/2 of Linstrom makes him first overall pick. But Larsson has shown that he can likely step directly into a NHL roster and make a impact which very few defensive prospects can.

It's also still a long way to draft day and if Larsson declines than I could see Landeskog or even Sean Couturier being picked first.

I think people are starting to forget about Couturier. He was the first 17 year since Crosby to lead the QMJHL in scoring and has only improved on that this year. Although he had a poor showing the U20s, he was the only player of his class to make the team in Canada and has time to prove he isn't as slow as people believe.

KarmaIsAKiller

Larssonist
Apr 12, 2010
I'll take smarts over heart this year, if I'm the Devils. That's not to slight Landeskog, but after a season of observing what we have in the pipeline through call-ups and pre-season, the team could use someone whose talent lies in vision, anticipation and reading the play.

We've hemorrhaged smart hockey players the last few years.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
If I'm the Devils I take Larsson if there are any good centers in the later rounds. If not then I take Landeskog.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Actually, that's very true. Which is why they are where they are. (No malice intended.)

none taken. they did right by nino sending him back to the whl and will probably do right by poulin and send him down to the ahl with dipietro back but are using hamonic as their number two defender when he could use the development in the ahl and already hurt baileys development, he never should have been in the nhl in his first year.

then tavares assumed the role of the number one center in his first year, which is ok, as long as he is surrounded with nhl talent, not a second year pro and an ahler. those players being okposo and moulson, who i love, but are depended on too much (as with tavares).

anyway, dont want to derail the thread, back to landeskog and larsson. :)

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
No.

Landeskog - Wing version of Mike Richards/Better Brendan Morrow
Larsson - Zach Bogosian but better/Chris Pronger-lite

Granted all I've seen of Larsson was his WJC, but how can you compare him to two gritty, physical Dmen? I did not see this at all.

For me, its easier to compare an upcoming draftee to a prospect/developing player. I'd say a good comparable would be Alex Pietrangelo. Both have the same frame, excellent skaters, RH shot, play a heady game where they rely on good reads to jump up in the play. Solid D.

I'd kill to have a Dman like that on the Oil.

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
Tough question. I know Leafs are taking none but if I had to choose, probably Landeskog. Just because we have Schenn as our young stud defenceman (I know Larsson would be probably miles ahead of him) and Phaneuf might still recover. So we need offence badly. So far I am not sold on Kadri and we need someone who can score and do all the other necessary thing. He's European but he seems like Burke's type of player. So, Landeskog

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I see more Lidstrom than Pronger in Larsson. ( In style of play not skill level )

Anyways I like the way Landeskog plays. Love the griity way he plays. But I would still take Larsson, he just has the higher ceiling IMO.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'd pick Larsson. I think he has a good chance of turning into a very impressive defender.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
No.

Landeskog - Wing version of Mike Richards/Better Brendan Morrow
Larsson - Zach Bogosian but better/Chris Pronger-lite

That's just it though.. Brown is a lot like Morrow and puts up similar numbers to Richards. He fights, he was named captain of the Kings at a young age, he's physical, he scores. Seems like a decent comparable. That's pretty much what I'm hearing Landeskog can do. If his defensive game is anywhere near Richards whoever gets him is very lucky.

Lots of interesting projections for Larsson. I don't think anyone really expects him to be Lidstrom, I hear he's more physical for one and probably doesn't have the offensive upside. Assuming the Oilers draft him I'd hope he can score 50pts and play really well defensively but I'm really skeptical when it comes to young dmen.

AE

May 10, 2010
Lots of interesting projections for Larsson. I don't think anyone really expects him to be Lidstrom, I hear he's more physical for one and probably doesn't have the offensive upside. Assuming the Oilers draft him I'd hope he can score 50pts and play really well defensively but I'm really skeptical when it comes to young dmen.

Larssons best comparison is probably Rob Blake.
and/or MacInnis, but people tend to remember his slapper and nothing else.
Not as physical as Blake was, but reads the game better.
A Swedish Rob Blake..

LucicTrain*

So lets say, hypothetically that the first 4 picks go like this:

1. Larsson
2. Couturier
3. RNH
4. Murphy

and you have 5th overall. Your team is in desperate need of a future defenseman that they can build the franchise around. You are trying to tell me that your team would bypass Landeskog and pick Siemens or Musil? Somehow I HIGHLY doubt that. It is ALWAYS BPA, especially in the first round. Teams focus on needs in the 3rd round on...usually, but never in the first.

Boston could be in that exact situation you described. as fan i would hope they would take Landeskog

HemskyToHall*

hmm let's see would I rather have Morrow or Lidstrom, this is a tough decision...

4Isles4*

none taken. they did right by nino sending him back to the whl and will probably do right by poulin and send him down to the ahl with dipietro back but are using hamonic as their number two defender when he could use the development in the ahl and already hurt baileys development, he never should have been in the nhl in his first year.

then tavares assumed the role of the number one center in his first year, which is ok, as long as he is surrounded with nhl talent, not a second year pro and an ahler. those players being okposo and moulson, who i love, but are depended on too much (as with tavares).

anyway, dont want to derail the thread, back to landeskog and larsson. :)

picking 1st overall is awsome....but i think if you are 2nd or 3rd in a draft like this its less pressure to pick 2nd or 3rd....the 1st overall makes the desision for you....

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
All this Lidstrom talk is really unfair. Hes one of the best dman to ever play the game of hockey and we are comparing Larsson to him? Come on now.

member 30781

All this Lidstrom talk is really unfair. Hes one of the best dman to ever play the game of hockey and we are comparing Larsson to him? Come on now.

We aren't comparing Larsson to him. We are comparing Larsson's style of play to Lidstrom's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad