Gabriel Landeskog vs Adam Larsson

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What? That's confusing -- because you always go by what your team needs. Taking draft needs out of the equation obviously Larsson is the player that people see more talent out of, but a lot of teams would be better off drafting Landeskog (Ottawa for example.)

Barbadian91

Evgeny Kuznetsov
Aug 4, 2009
Ontario
Ottawa should tank and draft Landeskog. it really depends on the team and wether they want a SAFE pick or are willing to take a chance.

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
What? That's confusing -- because you always go by what your team needs. Taking draft needs out of the equation obviously Larsson is the player that people see more talent out of, but a lot of teams would be better off drafting Landeskog (Ottawa for example.)

who ALWAYS goes by team need?? i was under the impression it was BPA..ALWAYS. and if two players are judged to have EXACT same potential, then you could go for team need...

member 30781

it seems like there is 2-3 "Lidstrom-like" players every draft, along with 1-2 "Yzerman-types". lol

Last year's draft not one person resembled Lidstrom, in my opinion. Maybe for other but not me.

Larsson is a can't miss player at this point and its always better for a team to build from the net out.

member 30781

So lets say, hypothetically that the first 4 picks go like this:

1. Larsson
2. Couturier
3. RNH
4. Murphy

and you have 5th overall. Your team is in desperate need of a future defenseman that they can build the franchise around. You are trying to tell me that your team would bypass Landeskog and pick Siemens or Musil? Somehow I HIGHLY doubt that. It is ALWAYS BPA, especially in the first round. Teams focus on needs in the 3rd round on...usually, but never in the first.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Larsson will be wearing the red-white and black of the NJ Devils next year... book it ;)

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

So lets say, hypothetically that the first 4 picks go like this:

1. Larsson
2. Couturier
3. RNH
4. Murphy

and you have 5th overall. Your team is in desperate need of a future defenseman that they can build the franchise around. You are trying to tell me that your team would bypass Landeskog and pick Siemens or Musil? Somehow I HIGHLY doubt that. It is ALWAYS BPA, especially in the first round. Teams focus on needs in the 3rd round on...usually, but never in the first.

Exactly and the reason is pretty obvious... The players you are drafting this summer will probably make a impact on your team in 3 or 4 years from now and god knows what will happen between the draft and the next 3 years.

mindmasher

Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton
hockeyzen.com

What in the world are you smoking? If we are talking about 1st OA every pro scout employed in the NHL has repeated the same things over and over: Best Pick Available, all the time.

Go look at these goaltenders drafted in the lottery positions, all three of which were not ranked (as far as I remember) as highly as they went. MAF vs. Eric Staal? Dipietro vs. Heatley? Lehtonen vs. Bouwmeester?

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
Last year's draft not one person resembled Lidstrom, in my opinion. Maybe for other but not me.

Larsson is a can't miss player at this point and its always better for a team to build from the net out.

I don't think there is ever a can't miss player when it comes to defenseman. It's also a long shot for anyone to have a career similar to Lidstrom.

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB

So then we take Seguin over Hall.

No thanks.

BPA baby.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
You mean like Victor Hedman?

Of course no one would pass on Larsson if you knew he was going to be Lidstrom but how many lidstroms have you seen? None.

You say this as if Hedman has reached his potential. Hedman's a good 5-10 years from reaching whatever potential he may have.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
You mean like Victor Hedman?

Of course no one would pass on Larsson if you knew he was going to be Lidstrom but how many lidstroms have you seen? None.

Hedman's style of play has never been like Lidstrom, but Larsson's is pretty close.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
You say this as if Hedman has reached his potential. Hedman's a good 5-10 years from reaching whatever potential he may have.

Hedman's still 20 and is getting better with every game, if he keeps developing and improves his physical game he will be a franchise player.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010

:shakehead

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Hedman's still 20 and is getting better with every game, if he keeps developing and improves his physical game he will be a franchise player.

The problem with defensemen is that you often have to wait until they are 25+ years of age to really find out what their ceiling ends up being...not many guys come in and play like Doughty in their teens and early twenties

It could happen for Hedman, but franchise player is a pretty tough accomplishment for a d-man, especially when you already have a franchise player

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
it seems like there is 2-3 "Lidstrom-like" players every draft, along with 1-2 "Yzerman-types". lol

So true.

who ALWAYS goes by team need?? i was under the impression it was BPA..ALWAYS. and if two players are judged to have EXACT same potential, then you could go for team need...

Your impression is correct. Because of this...

...The players you are drafting this summer will probably make a impact on your team in 3 or 4 years from now.

There are exceptions, of course (and moreso in recent years). But typically, a GM does not expect an 18 year old to step in from Day One and "fill" a current major hole on his NHL roster. For example, Larsson may be "can't miss" (wish I had a dime for every time that phrase is casually thrown around) and becomes the most talented dman in NJD's organization the moment he is drafted. Even so, Lou will not be expecting him to give him #1 dman, 30 quality minutes in every game situation starting next October. Unfair to the player and unwise planning.

Last edited:

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Landeskog is a potential top 6 forward with intangibles, Larsson s a potential top pairing d-man...um..I'm going for the d-man...

but....if NJ loses the lottery and picks 2nd and Larsson is gone, I'd consider Landeskog over Courturier or RNH....

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Landeskog is a potential top 6 forward with intangibles, Larsson s a potential top pairing d-man...um..I'm going for the d-man...

but....if NJ loses the lottery and picks 2nd and Larsson is gone, I'd consider Landeskog over Courturier or RNH....

You sell Landeskog short with the vauge description. Larssons a potential top pairing defesemen, but Landeskog is a potential first line Selke winning winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->