Waived: Gabriel Dumont | claimed by Ottawa | reclaimed by Tampa and sent to Syracuse

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
He's signed for another year..? Don't think he ever stated "NHL or Europe" not that it matters he's on a one-way contract so he's getting paid well in A.
He stated he no longer wanted to play in the AHL. It was nhl or Europe and there may be a buyout. I am just guessing but I don’t think he’s getting a fair fair shake and I wonder when he finally say s enough. Guys get bought out and sign in Europe all the time, the most recent Rodin in Vancouver who was stuck in Utica.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He stated he no longer wanted to play in the AHL. It was nhl or Europe and there may be a buyout. I am just guessing but I don’t think he’s getting a fair fair shake and I wonder when he finally say s enough. Guys get bought out and sign in Europe all the time, the most recent Rodin in Vancouver who was stuck in Utica.

Do you have a link? I don't see this mentioned anywhere nor recall him stating anything

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It would make more sense for Conacher to wait till next year to seek a buyout. He's on a one way deal this year so is getting 650k to play in Syracuse, next year it's 200k so that would be the time to leave.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
It would make more sense for Conacher to wait till next year to seek a buyout. He's on a one way deal this year so is getting 650k to play in Syracuse, next year it's 200k so that would be the time to leave.
Yes I see your point but would they let him walk at that point after they paid him NHL bucks to play in the AHL this year ?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yes I see your point but would they let him walk at that point after they paid him NHL bucks to play in the AHL this year ?

If he plays this year without incident and gives his all they'll settle with him to terminate the contract. If he starts cause problems this year they might make a bigger deal out of it. By giving him the one year deal this year I expected them to assume he was possibly leaving next year.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012

He's back. No word on where he's been assigned to. He could be placed in Syracuse without a hitch.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yes yzerman has loaded up we are ready look if we trade sustr for a 7th round pick in 2018 we win the cup hands down

Addition by subtraction, prevents Cooper from playing him...I think that actually does increase our cup chances.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

He's back. No word on where he's been assigned to. He could be placed in Syracuse without a hitch.

No he can't. He was with Ottawa for over 30 days so we lost the right to send him back down to Syracuse right away. He's going to have to be on the main roster. I suspect once Palat gets cleared Erne goes back down, Dumont is a warm body for the pressbox. We wanted him back for next year because he's signed and most likely Condra and Bournival are gone from Syracuse so he's the main vet down there.

DeeVeeUss

Apr 12, 2017
Naples, FL
No he can't. He was with Ottawa for over 30 days so we lost the right to send him back down to Syracuse right away. He's going to have to be on the main roster. I suspect once Palat gets cleared Erne goes back down, Dumont is a warm body for the pressbox. We wanted him back for next year because he's signed and most likely Condra and Bournival are gone from Syracuse so he's the main vet down there.
Several sources confirming he's been assigned to 'Cuse

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Several sources confirming he's been assigned to 'Cuse

But that's not how waivers work. After a player hits 10 games or 30 days it resets and it's like they've never been on waivers before and everyone has to keep them on the main roster if claiming them. Unless there's something I'm missing I don't see how he can go right down?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
But that's not how waivers work. After a player hits 10 games or 30 days it resets and it's like they've never been on waivers before and everyone has to keep them on the main roster if claiming them. Unless there's something I'm missing I don't see how he can go right down?

If a team
- loses a player on waivers during the season,
- then later reclaims that player on waivers during the same season,
- and is the only team to submit a waiver claim.

Then that team can assign the player to the AHL without going through waivers again. It's not unusual to see this happen a few times each season.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Tampa was his original team so they are the only team that has the ability to send him down without being put on waivers again.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That makes no sense as he didn't clear waivers, we put a claim in. It doesn't matter we wanted him in Syracuse where he is, we would've waived him later and he probably clears so we get him down earlier.

The relevant info is in section 13.22 of the CBA if you want to take a look.

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently,
in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the
successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled
to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being
asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative)
and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful
claim.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The relevant info is in section 13.22 of the CBA if you want to take a look.

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently,
in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the
successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled
to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being
asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative)
and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful
claim.

It's that bottom part that has me super confused, the way I read it he has been on Ottawa more than 30 days and 10 games so he shouldn't be able to be loaned to Syracuse. Thanks for posting by the way, I'll just be happy he's down there now.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's that bottom part that has me super confused, the way I read it he has been on Ottawa more than 30 days and 10 games so he shouldn't be able to be loaned to Syracuse. Thanks for posting by the way, I'll just be happy he's down there now.

The bottom part refers to Tampa Bay claiming him, not Ottawa's original claim. So Tampa didn't have to send him down immediately--they could have sent him down later without waivers so long as the 30/10 threshold wasn't crossed yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad