Gaborik trade revisited. Brassgod, Moore, and Dorsett

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
All three players are useful in their roles.

At the time of the trade I thought that Gaborik, aside from being a name, was essentially worthless.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Two of the three could be healthy scratched every single game, and wouldn't be missed even a little bit. And are close to doing just that.

Dorsett is an average 4th liner and depth player. You can usually live without average 4th liners.

Moore is a significant upgrade to every other 3rd pair option we used before he arrived. Eminger, Bickel, Hamrlik, Gilroy. He's a good 3rd pair defenseman. And I don't even like Moore.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Dorsett is an average 4th liner and depth player. You can usually live without average 4th liners.

Moore is a significant upgrade to every other 3rd pair option we used before he arrived. Eminger, Bickel, Hamrlik, Gilroy. He's a good 3rd pair defenseman. And I don't even like Moore.

Gabby was hurt most of this yr, got back Frattin a 2nd , 3rd I believe.

The Jackets lose this deal for sure. Brassard helps the PP big time and may be the 2nd line C next yr if not already this yr. Moore is young and should get better. Dorsett is gritty and this team needs grit. Next yr when Boyle likely leaves as a UFA Dorsett will fit in nicely on the PK and 4th line. Plus they got a 5th I believe

Hybrid MB24

Nov 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
I feel like Brassard is quietly having the best season of his career and to do that in New York, makes me pretty happy because generally speaking alot of players regress when they come here. He's been inconsistent, but I'll take 40-50 point third-liner.

Brass has been everything I expected, nothing more or less. It was a small sample size but this guy was our best forward in the playoffs last year. If he can continue the playoff consistency, the guy could be a good asset to have.

We traded Gaborik at a really good time. He would have lost value had we waited any longer. We got three depth players for a declining / injury-riddled forward, you really can't complain.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I still don't like the reason why the trade was made but it's been decent.

We're catching Brassard on a hot streak. But he has been largely a positive in his time here.

Moore I'm disappointed with as I really liked him as a piece in the deal and thought he should a lot of raw tools. He just hasn't been able to take a step forward/

Doresett, to me, has been mediocre. I still haven't seen the player that CBJ fans were describing or mourning losing. That said, I think he's been put in a very unfortunate and unfair position of being really the only player on this team to bring physicality or be willing to drop the gloves.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I still don't like the reason why the trade was made but it's been decent.

We're catching Brassard on a hot streak. But he has been largely a positive in his time here.

Moore I'm disappointed with as I really liked him as a piece in the deal and thought he should a lot of raw tools. He just hasn't been able to take a step forward/

Doresett, to me, has been mediocre. I still haven't seen the player that CBJ fans were describing or mourning losing. That said, I think he's been put in a very unfortunate and unfair position of being really the only player on this team to bring physicality or be willing to drop the gloves.

That's a fair appraisal.

I think Moore has played significantly better since paired with Klein, but I still want to see more. I wouldn't be comfortable with him as second pair LD.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'm kinda surprised by JMoore's lack of true progression over the course over the past season and a half, but I wonder how much MDZ's inconsistencies and Staal's injuries have played into that.

While he basically has been a starter since joining this team, he still had only played 99 NHL games going into this year. He has been given some sheltered minutes this year, but not always the benefit of a competent partner.

At some point the onus has to be directly placed on him, and you'll begin to wonder if he didn't need a better partner, but if he was a weak link himself. He deserves at least another year though to find out.

His future will probably be determined heavily on his own thoughts on a lower cost contract. 2 years and 3.4m or so, similar to the contract Stralman is finishing out right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad