Gaborik the greatest Wild ever....

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is wrong. Did you watch the team? It neutered all Minnesota players offense. They basically wouldn't forecheck.
What players were neutered? Look at those rosters prior to the lockout.

Those were UNtalented teams.

Post lockout, the team started improving talent wise, as it did... more goals were scored. Like I said, Gaborik scored 83pts in a wild uniform in that same system. Went to the NYR, supposedly the high flying east... managed only 3 more points than in our stifling system.

Look at Brian Rolston. Came here from the East.... scored 19, 31, 27, 19 goals for Boston pre lockout.

Came to Minnesota, scored 34, 31, 31 goals in our supposed offensive neutering system.

Career best points for Rolston was here with 79 points, only managing 62 in Boston.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalbooya

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He scored 83 points in a season in that play style.

Went to NY... managed what? 3 more points in a season?

It was the talent that was neutering him, not the system.

When we had the talent, goals were scored. The problem was, most of his tenure had little talent, never got him a true center to play with.

The original post was specific to the early 2000s.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The original post was specific to the early 2000s.
Yes, and my point was... in the early 2000's, it was the severe lack of surrounding talent that was the problem.

Hence my comment on prior to the lockout rosters being UNtalented.

We played the same exact system under the same exact coach in both situations.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I mean, even as good as the mid 2000s were for the Wild, it doesn't explain why Gaborik still holds the the rookie records from that 2000-2001 team? And they weren't lofty records either.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I mean, even as good as the mid 2000s were for the Wild, it doesn't explain why Gaborik still holds the the rookie records from that 2000-2001 team? And they weren't lofty records either.
If the seaosn was a normal one I would safely bet that Kaprizov would break those records. especially most rookie goals. However, I still think he has a good shot to break them this year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If the seaosn was a normal one I would safely bet that Kaprizov would break those records. especially most rookie goals. However, I still think he has a good shot to break them this year.

I think Kaprizov could break it, but that means the record stood for 20 years...

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
He was my favorite player and I have probably watched fewer than 50 Wild games since he left.

KK has the chance to get my attention back.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
One of my favorite MG moments.

I still remember the thrill/inevitability of a Demitra Gaborik 2 on 1.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Man if this guy could have stayed healthy, that speed. He played in the wrong era if you ask me, a couple of years later and he’d fight for the hall.
So much potential, just always injured. Still one of my all time favourite players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad