Post-Game Talk: G6: Sabres @ Russian-less Caps, Part 2 | 1/24/21 | 3p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why? Backstrom is a calming presence and a good leader. CMM is lacking direction and is looking lost.

The kid is barely ready to play an NHL game. He is without question on ready to play on an NHL first line with the team's entire 2nd line out of the lineup. Put McMichael there and you are killing Backstrom and Oshie more than helping McMichael

I mean, if your priority was develop McMichael rather than win the game, you might be right

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
They cant win a face off. They dont get possession and then play a passive defense. They dont give up much better never get the puck back
I agree, and you were always correct about faceoffs. They’re also passive with possession, it’s one shot and everybody retreats. My guess it’s an issue of knowing themselves, ie their speed disadvantage.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
CMM is only playing bc we have 5 top guys out and have to dress alost the entire taxi squad. I think other teams are trolling us

Yeah but I don't believe this is the best version of CMM. He looks super nervous and unsettled. Similar to Vitek in first few games. I think the coach can improve his confidence by playing him on the top line , or putting him on the pp for just a few min or giving him shootout opportunity.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree, and you were always correct about faceoffs. They’re also passive with possession, it’s one shot and everybody retreats. My guess it’s an issue of knowing themselves, ie their speed disadvantage.

This is how Lavy wants them to play. When he is asked about the 3 on 3 he goes right to the face off with his answers

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah but I don't believe this is the best version of CMM. He looks super nervous and unsettled. Similar to Vitek in first few games. I think the coach can improve his confidence by playing him on the top line , or putting him on the pp for just a few min or giving him shootout opportunity.

sparingly?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Vitek gas 140 games in AHL under his belt. He can dive into that experience and settle down. CMM is a total newbie. He has a lot to learn.

Also, judging from his post-game interview CMM wasnt actually much nervous. A little lost would be my guess. He skipped most of the camp, what would you expect?

Reactions: Corby78

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The kid is barely ready to play an NHL game. He is without question on ready to play on an NHL first line with the team's entire 2nd line out of the lineup. Put McMichael there and you are killing Backstrom and Oshie more than helping McMichael

I mean, if your priority was develop McMichael rather than win the game, you might be right

Well they did put Tom Wilson on the top line when he was a 4th liner, and he grew into a 1st liner. So it has worked before. If they kept Wilson on the 4th line he might not be on the team anymore.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well they did put Tom Wilson on the top line when he was a 4th liner, and he grew into a 1st liner. So it has worked before. If they kept Wilson on the 4th line he might not be on the team anymore.
It was Wilson's 2nd season at least. Moving goalposts again! :P

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Pinho didnt look over his head. Thats true. Lavy clearly is growing a level of dismissal with those 3 guys. I think they are all 3 playing themselves off the team.
I dunno if they're playing themselves off the team but they'll be in the doghouse quick if they don't improve on their play away from the puck. Need to start converting on their chances as well.

The forechecking they did today was nice though.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Maybe the adversity can help them in the long run. It gives (forces) the team to put in players and see what they really have. Moreover, the four players coming back should have a chip on their shoulders looking to make it up for their teammates who are holding down the fort.

Hopefully it galvanizes the team and brings them together sooner rather than later.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes he was a "4th line goon" for years untill he worked on his skating

Wilson broke his ankle on off season skate boarding. He missed camp. As a result he started working on his skating. When Trotz made him a regular penalty killer you could see the arc of the career that was coming.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Maybe the adversity can help them in the long run. It gives (forces) the team to put in players and see what they really have. Moreover, the four players coming back should have a chip on their shoulders looking to make it up for their teammates who are holding down the fort.

Hopefully it galvanizes the team and brings them together sooner rather than later.

I hope when those 4 come back they wear face masks on the bench and on the ice just for Gary and company. But then they would probably get suspended all over again. Ok nevermind.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
so close to another 2 points, yarrrgh

3 penalties in a period and multiple Offensive zone penalties, alas, are not the prescription for a win

Good effort, good physicality, great game from the Dowd line matching Eichel's line, best game so far from Schultz, Panik showed a lot, ultimately can't complain taking of 7/8 pts from BUF (though I'm in the minority I'm sure)

Reactions: Pomee

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Sprong is going to have to start showing something because he won’t be in the NHL much longer if he can’t make more of a contribution

Reactions: Pomee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad