GDT: G59: Blues vs Wild 2pm CT/10pm Finland (NBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I love the relevation most people are having with this team this year. Some of us has been warning that this team was built on sand but we were told we were too negative or don't know what we were talking about. Good teams get through injuries.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
BB was brought in to make this team better, not worse. They didn't do jack in the postseason and they are getting worse in the regular season. No way he stays.
Management made the team worse. We were a pretty good puck handling team a couple years ago... not great but decent. Since? We let puck handlers walk, bring in players with hands of stone, this is what we have.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
Management made the team worse. We were a pretty good puck handling team a couple years ago... not great but decent. Since? We let puck handlers walk, bring in players with hands of stone, this is what we have.
Who are the great puck handlers we let go? Stewart? Winnik? Carter? Stoll? Porter?

Reactions: 63firebird

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I love the relevation most people are having with this team this year. Some of us has been warning that this team was built on sand but we were told we were too negative or don't know what we were talking about. Good teams get through injuries.
A couple years ago, this team... of they added to the skill could have improved... they never chose skill when choosing players though is the problem.

This is a skilled league, more so than ever.

It's not so much that players are skating faster, it's that they are playing faster. Crisp tape to tape passes all across the league, while we pass in front, behind, into skates, and when a puck does hit the table? The player receiving the pass doesn't have the skill not to fumble it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Who are the great puck handlers we let go? Stewart? Winnik? Carter? Stoll? Porter?
Great? Did I say great? I said decent.

Pominville, Haula for two... Stewart wasn't the brightest bulb, but he did have ok puck skills and could score a few goals from the 4th line.

None of them were vital to the team individually, but their replacements had worse puck skills than they did, lowering the puck handling ability of the team.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
BB was brought in to make this team better, not worse. They didn't do jack in the postseason and they are getting worse in the regular season. No way he stays.
Bruce coached the Wild to a franchise best 106pts and 49 wins in his first season. At some point the players need to show up and do their f***ing job.

The fact is: this team has punched above their weight since 2013. A coach can only do so much, at some point the players need to show up. The reality is that this roster isn't even good enough to win a participation trophy.

Anyone that legitimately believes BB is a problem should be ignored.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
A couple years ago, this team... of they added to the skill could have improved... they never chose skill when choosing players though is the problem.

This is a skilled league, more so than ever.

It's not so much that players are skating faster, it's that they are playing faster. Crisp tape to tape passes all across the league, while we pass in front, behind, into skates, and when a puck does hit the table? The player receiving the pass doesn't have the skill not to fumble it.

This is something that a lot of have been saying. This team isn't going to be fixed with one or two players but will need a culture change.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
Bruce coached the Wild to a franchise best 106pts and 49 wins in his first season. At some point the players need to show up and do their ****ing job.

The fact is: this team has punched above their weight since 2013. A coach can only do so much, at some point the players need to show up. The reality is that this roster isn't even good enough to win a participation trophy.

Anyone that legitimately believes BB is a problem should be ignored.
Remind me, how did that season with 106pts end up?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is something that a lot of have been saying. This team isn't going to be fixed with one or two players but will need a culture change.
It is a talent evaluation problem. They are afraid to take a risk on skill, instead always go for the safe pick...

You won't win the cup with 21 skaters who don't excel at anything in particular skill wise.

You have to have guys who can handle a puck in space, can send and receive crisp passes consistently, have accuracy on their shots so they aren't always sending the puck wide when shooting for an opening, and thus not forced to shoot into the chest protector if you want to really get a shot on goal.

Reactions: NotYou

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Pretty sure I can count on one hand how many times they didn't raise ticket prices. They better think long and hard about it before sending those invoices out this year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Start fixing the culture by getting rid of the 3 biggest problems ...... Koivu, Suter and Parise
As stated before this current team is divided by 3 and will never win anything with these 3 involved
Sorry, but I can't agree there. Your welcome to your opinion though, I just don't buy it.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Remind me, how did that season with 106pts end up?
And this is proof your opinion is objectively poop.

Bruce put on a coaching masterpiece in that series. He did literally everything right. Short of strapping on the pads and putting on his skates, what the f*** was he supposed to do in that series? You do understand that he doesn't actually play the game - he coaches it.

It's the players job to execute. They couldn't find the back of the net. They ran into Unicorn Jake Allen. But to hang that at Bruce's feet is just moronic.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I'm not sure why BB is getting a pass for this season. He's gotten the credit for 2 x 100p seasons here. It's the same team as last year but without injury bug that hit early and hard.

It's his job to get the players to play and he's failed at it all year.
Coach sets the culture?
If that's the case then today's performance should get BB barred for life.
If nobody can handle a puck, what can he do? These guys have zero confidence with the puck on their stick, that lack of confidence has them playing afraid, you play afraid, you don't play smart hockey.

Does the nature of this divisional matchup not leave some responsibility with the players to step up.

This isn't a coach thing, this is a psychology thing. Look at Nino when he got a new look... suddenly all his flaws have vanished and he's executing on the ice like he hasn't in nearly 2 years.

The coach sets the culture and the systems they play. They've been playing that way all season, it's nothing new in the last 2 weeks. Not being able to make the simple hockey plays has shattered their confidence. Fixing the flaws is part of any coaches job in practice.

Not being ready to play when the puck drops is on the coach as much if not more than the players.

I like BB as a coach, but he's the wrong coach for this team going forward.
Hard to envision less effort from the players today for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad