GDT: G49 - STL @ MIN - 7PM Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Love the way Greenway just tosses dudes around on the ice. Just wish he was way more consistent than he is.

That said, he's easily the most boring, disinterested interview I think I've ever seen. I mean, I get it. I think the between period interviews are f***ing moronic. Colossal waste of f***ing time. It's just 2 minutes of B.S. cliche's. But you can clearly see he'd rather be ANYwhere else, lol.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Kaprizov instead of shooting tries to pass it through two guys. 20 seconds later it’s game over.
Such a shame when he has such a great quick release. I know the coach is all about team but can’t we all see Kaprizov has a shot that’s nearly impossible for goalies to see. Greenway is a nice big player but c’mon....tell him to fricken shoot coach!!!!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yours? Agreed.

Takes a horrible penalty because he's ALWAYS flat-footed.

gQfOuLq.png

And then here he gives up the GWG because he, yet again, was caught flat-footed near the blueline while St. Louis changes. I mean, he literally watched ROR skate in front of him to the center of the ice.

That last goal was kind of a bad read during the change, but Dumba was headed off the ice as well. You can see Spurgeon hopping on right as Kyrou makes that pass and circle right back to the bench. It's not as straightforward as that gif makes it look.

I'm not going to defend taking a penalty, but it was a missed stick lift. **** happens. If we're tallying up capital crimes tonight my list is topped by Spurgeon's assist on Bozak's shortie with the score 1-0. I still don't get what the **** happened there. Honestly though no one looked all that good through the first two periods outside of a few shifts early in the 2nd. Team needs to pull its head out of its butt, especially the Rask and Hartman lines.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The loud mouths gettin' louder. Hate to see it. Rough couple of games for Dumba.
We've always known he is high risk, high reward, and it's not like there weren't others that contributed to the loss. Talbot has been really good this year, but not these past two games. Spurgeon, for all that he is a really good player, totally loses his mind and skills when there is a keep in play at the blue line. At this point, it's in his head, I think. Oh, and what happened to our PK? Ya think we might try to not leave their best player alone in the slot, without even a stick within ten feet? I could go on...would've like to have seen Sturm and his speed out there on the 3 v 3, but I'm not all upset about it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Love the way Greenway just tosses dudes around on the ice. Just wish he was way more consistent than he is.

That said, he's easily the most boring, disinterested interview I think I've ever seen. I mean, I get it. I think the between period interviews are f***ing moronic. Colossal waste of f***ing time. It's just 2 minutes of B.S. cliche's. But you can clearly see he'd rather be ANYwhere else, lol.
When have you ever heard anything interesting in a player interview...Bryzgalov, maybe?

Reactions: MK9

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
That last goal was kind of a bad read during the change, but Dumba was headed off the ice as well. You can see Spurgeon hopping on right as Kyrou makes that pass and circle right back to the bench. It's not as straightforward as that gif makes it look.
I've gone back and watched that entire play develop multiple times and it makes zero sense for Dumba to go for a line change there. Like at all. He knows he's the only guy back there and the Blues were changing. It's pretty straightforward to me.

I'm not going to defend taking a penalty, but it was a missed stick lift. **** happens. If we're tallying up capital crimes tonight my list is topped by Spurgeon's assist on Bozak's shortie with the score 1-0. I still don't get what the **** happened there. Honestly though no one looked all that good through the first two periods outside of a few shifts early in the 2nd. Team needs to pull its head out of its butt, especially the Rask and Hartman lines.
Yes, it was an incredibly lazy attempt at playing defense. Kyrou danced around a flat footed Dumba. Dumba, now out of position, instead of moving his feet to pressure the puck carrier, decides to lean over and attempt a stick lift on the left side of a right handed player. He missed the stick by a country mile, btw.

You introducing other "capital crimes" to this conversation is pretty irrelevant because it's not of the context of the conversation.

Dumba was not the Wild's best defenseman tonight and he was directly responsible for 2 goals against. Those are facts.

I mean, just look at this sequence of images from the play leading up to the GWG...
QtSMDMZ.png

fTp5PnD.png

Xtx0pxX.png

DQ5cUVn.png

K5QqyO3.png

What the hell is Dumba even doing trying to change there? It's really inexcusable.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I've gone back and watched that entire play develop multiple times and it makes zero sense for Dumba to go for a line change there. Like at all. He knows he's the only guy back there and the Blues were changing. It's pretty straightforward to me.

Yes, it was an incredibly lazy attempt at playing defense. Kyrou danced around a flat footed Dumba. Dumba, now out of position, instead of moving his feet to pressure the puck carrier, decides to lean over and attempt a stick lift on the left side of a right handed player. He missed the stick by a country mile, btw.

You introducing other "capital crimes" to this conversation is pretty irrelevant because it's not of the context of the conversation.

Dumba was not the Wild's best defenseman tonight and he was directly responsible for 2 goals against. Those are facts.

I mean, just look at this sequence of images from the play leading up to the GWG...
QtSMDMZ.png

fTp5PnD.png

Xtx0pxX.png

DQ5cUVn.png

K5QqyO3.png

What the hell is Dumba even doing trying to change there? It's really inexcusable.
For one he doesn’t even look to be changing he is tracking the guy who did change. Why is Rask off the hook for going at the wall and opening the middle? Dumba may have missed a fresh legged O’Reilly sure but Rask not going at the wall also prevents that pass..

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

QtSMDMZ.png

fTp5PnD.png

Xtx0pxX.png

DQ5cUVn.png

K5QqyO3.png

He's trying to change because he was due along with Greenway and Kaprizov, who just got off. Kyrou curls back, Dumba moves to change with Spurgeon, and Kyrou snaps the puck up to O'Reilly at the perfect time. Like I said, I don't think it's a good read but I also don't know what the right solution is there. Does Dumba extend his shift and risk getting caught tired in his own zone in overtime? Is Rask supposed to fall back and cover the D change instead of milling around at center ice? If Dumba stays out we get to hear about him extending his shifts too long.

I just think it's crazy that one player regularly inspires... well, this^. Even in a game where most of the team outside of Ek's line was pretty bad.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
For one he doesn’t even look to be changing he is tracking the guy who did change. Why is Rask off the hook for going at the wall and opening the middle? Dumba may have missed a fresh legged O’Reilly sure but Rask not going at the wall also prevents that pass..
He was going for a change. There is zero argument that he wasn't. There's a reason he goes from his own blue line, to the Xcel Energy logo, to chasing after ROR. You can even see Spurgeon jumping on the ice through the sequence.

He's trying to change because he was due along with Greenway and Kaprizov, who just got off. Kyrou curls back, Dumba moves to change with Spurgeon, and Kyrou snaps the puck up to O'Reilly at the perfect time. Like I said, I don't think it's a good read but I also don't know what the right solution is there. Does Dumba extend his shift and risk getting caught tired in his own zone in overtime? Is Rask supposed to fall back and cover the D change instead of milling around at center ice? If Dumba stays out we get to hear about him extending his shifts too long.

I just think it's crazy that one player regularly inspires... well, this^. Even in a game where most of the team outside of Ek's line was pretty bad.
I'm not looking for excuses. It's inexcusable.

Kyrou curls back and is dang near staring a hole through ROR's chest. He's looking to make a pass the entire time. The right solution here is for Dumba to pay attention to what is happening away from the puck. If he's tracking that ROR just came on the ice, both his forwards are in front of him, and Parayko is coming to the bench for a change, the only logical solution is to put yourself in a position to defend ROR and a possible 2nd attacker. He chose to skate in the opposite direction to make a line change, leaving ROR wide open to skate in uncontested.

If you think it's crazy that one player regularly inspires bewilderment from folks who have watched him be a consistent defensive liability practically his entire career, with major lapses in judgement being the leading characteristic, then what do think about people who want this guy to be kept for 2 more seasons @ $6m AAV and a modified-NTC?

Is the totality of Matt Dumba's play since signing his current deal worthy of the cap hit? Is his play worthy of a bonafide top 6 center? If the answer to either of these questions was YES, we wouldn't be having this conversation because A) a guy scoring 50pts from the blue line is forgiven for these glaring mistakes and B) he would've been traded for a top 6 center already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nsjohnson

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He was going for a change. There is zero argument that he wasn't. There's a reason he goes from his own blue line, to the Xcel Energy logo, to chasing after ROR. You can even see Spurgeon jumping on the ice through the sequence.

Kyrou curls back and is dang near staring a hole through ROR's chest. He's looking to make a pass the entire time. The right solution here is for Dumba to pay attention to what is happening away from the puck. If he's tracking that ROR just came on the ice, both his forwards are in front of him, and Parayko is coming to the bench for a change, the only logical solution is to put yourself in a position to defend ROR and a possible 2nd attacker. He chose to skate in the opposite direction to make a line change, leaving ROR wide open to skate in uncontested.

If you think it's crazy that one player regularly inspires bewilderment from folks who have watched him him be a consistent defensive liability practically his entire career, with major lapses in judgement being the leading characteristic, then what do think about people who want this guy to be kept for 2 more seasons @ $6m AAV and a modified-NTC?

Is the totality of Matt Dumba's play since signing his current deal worthy of the cap hit? Is his play worthy of a bonafide top 6 center? If the answer to either of these questions was YES, we wouldn't be having this conversation because A) a guy scoring 50pts from the blue line is forgiven for these glaring mistakes and B) he would've been traded for a top 6 center already.
We're not going to agree on the severity of the mistake, which is what it is. The replay is up for anyone to come to their own conclusions about.

Beyond that I think Dumba's gone one way or the other, which has been in the cards for over a year now. I do consider how he's likely to leave to be an error that could have been avoided, and dissection of his play down the stretch doesn't change that. If one thinks that his play this year has been well below his $6m cap hit and hasn't in previous years, that really only makes not trading him last offseason worse. Why that's become a controversial idea, I don't know.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

If you think it's crazy that one player regularly inspires bewilderment from folks who have watched him be a consistent defensive liability practically his entire career, with major lapses in judgement being the leading characteristic, then what do think about people who want this guy to be kept for 2 more seasons @ $6m AAV and a modified-NTC?

I don’t think it’s a sure fire thing he was changing and a good chance spurgeon was guessing he was just like you. I do enjoy how you just let Rask off the hook for opening up the middle of the ice when it is quite clear that Kyrou is passing and it’s not gonna be up the boards so why even attempt going there. Dumba is nowhere near as bad as a lot of fans are wanting to make him out to be for whatever reason y’all are.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Agree that Dumba didn't look good in that moment. Also, what the hell are Rask/Fiala doing? I honestly think that's even worse than Dumba. They're both covering the same guy...

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t think it’s a sure fire thing he was changing and a good chance spurgeon was guessing he was just like you. I do enjoy how you just let Rask off the hook for opening up the middle of the ice when it is quite clear that Kyrou is passing and it’s not gonna be up the boards so why even attempt going there. Dumba is nowhere near as bad as a lot of fans are wanting to make him out to be for whatever reason y’all are.
No one is arguing that Rask is a top player on the team. Or even that he is an average player on the team. Or even a below average player on the tea, Or even...well, you get the idea. Sweet goal that he had last night, though.

I don't know why Rask gets 3v3 time. He is too slow. I'd put JEE, Sturm, Johansson, Bonino(since 3v3 is non traditional C play, he's ok...at least has some speed), and a non C out there. It's not like Rask wins FO's.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agree that Dumba didn't look good in that moment. Also, what the hell are Rask/Fiala doing? I honestly think that's even worse than Dumba. They're both covering the same guy...
Agreed.

Dumba made some mistakes that cost us. The blind back pass that led to a goal in the first game, this attempt at a bad change?, and the two penalties. I would say that the high sticking penalty was just bad luck, but both penalties were the result of being beaten to the outside. So, he's not prime Suter, or Brodin. We know that. We've also seen him be aggressive and win OT's. That's what he is.

Having him out there with Fiala, another high risk, high reward player, and Rask, a slow, weak player ....that's a coaching error, IMO. I seem to recall about 5-10 seconds before the play in question we gave up possession quite easily in the O zone, rather than playing it back, and allowing for a full change. That's where the breakdown was that led to this play.

There is a long list of people who who made mistakes, or were invisible during this two games series. The JEE line was the only one that showed up consistently, and Kap, though he was swarmed by STL.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
it has boggled my mind for years as to why coaches continue to put slower players out in 3v3 situations. Youre never going to win with even 1 slow player with that much open ice.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
it has boggled my mind for years as to why coaches continue to put slower players out in 3v3 situations. Youre never going to win with even 1 slow player with that much open ice.
Yeah, it took us years to figure it out with Koivu, Staal, Suter, and Parise. Don't understand why Rask is out there...i could understand if he was a FO whiz. He could win possession for us then go for a change.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Yeah, it took us years to figure it out with Koivu, Staal, Suter, and Parise. Don't understand why Rask is out there...i could understand if he was a FO whiz. He could win possession for us then go for a change.
Recently he was labeled as just as creative as Kap and zucc so with that thinking I understand why he is out there, however the reasoning to think that in the first place is another story.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Ryan O'Reilly might be the Blues slowest forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad