GDT: G41 - ARZ @ MIN - 1PM Central - Matinee Special Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If Parise/Bonino can recapture any sort of form they once had, even if for a short stretch, this team is ridiculously deep.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
If Parise/Bonino can recapture any sort of form they once had, even if for a short stretch, this team is ridiculously deep.

It would be helpful if they did, but this team is really not that deep. From starting players like Rask on the 1st line down to what the 3rd and 4th lines look like. Past Wild teams had players like Nino, Haula, Coyle, and other trade deadline pickups that were sometimes impactful on the 3rd and 4th lines. Guys like Ryan Carter or other defensive 3rd/4th line centers would be the best centers on this team--they played 4th line minutes..

The difference with this team comes down to goaltending (in a general sense, that 9-1 game non-withstanding) and Kaprizov/Fiala being more impactful offensive players than anything the Wild have had before. Past Wild teams, dominated possession and suppressed scoring chances at extremely high rates due to how deep they were--but struggled to capitalize on the possession because they didn't have elite finishers or players who could consistently take pucks into high danger areas to score consistently without great effort. This team still does a good job at suppressing a lot of high volume chances, but has better goal tending and two offensive players that can create offense out of thin air and take pucks to high danger areas at will.

Last edited:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Just shows how bad the coaching had to be earlier in the year to be as ridiculously bad as they were. They always had the personnel for a decent PP.

I know you’d like to see Dumba on the 1st unit, but I really like the chances he creates off the rush on that 2nd unit. They’ve seemed to take advantage of the change in the last handful of games.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I went to this one live, thought I'd share some thoughts:

1. Maybe 1,500 fans? You could tell a bunch couldn't make it with the time change. We were offered a refund but I was able to find a buddy to go in time.

2. Super easy to get in and out. No real issues there. They check your health survey before you enter and then you do security as normal.

3. Listening to the fan noise while you are there is somewhat surreal? I'm not sure if we got used to it by the end of the game or they turned it down.

4. No Wild vision (which was amazing), they've got an actual DJ now? Seems like they are looking for a younger demo with some of the changes.

5. Concessions are pretty limited. There were two places we could order from near our seats. None of the kiosks that line the concourse were open at all.

6. They are trying to push more stuff online. I guess my STH information is located on the app....and that hasn't gone through yet.

7. I liked some of the graphics changes on the scoreboard. Players on the ice was a really nice touch.

8. Nice to see live hockey again. Reminded me more of the North Star College Cup early games minus the bands in terms of atmosphere.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Parise must've scored today, because Russo wrote another feature on him just to let everyone know what a great guy he is.

Reactions: Mookie Blaylock

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Solid execution against an inferior team. The West playoffs are going to be epic. 90% we get Vegas on the road. This will be fun.

Reactions: a79krgm

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I went to this one live, thought I'd share some thoughts:

1. Maybe 1,500 fans? You could tell a bunch couldn't make it with the time change. We were offered a refund but I was able to find a buddy to go in time.

2. Super easy to get in and out. No real issues there. They check your health survey before you enter and then you do security as normal.

3. Listening to the fan noise while you are there is somewhat surreal? I'm not sure if we got used to it by the end of the game or they turned it down.

4. No Wild vision (which was amazing), they've got an actual DJ now? Seems like they are looking for a younger demo with some of the changes.

5. Concessions are pretty limited. There were two places we could order from near our seats. None of the kiosks that line the concourse were open at all.

6. They are trying to push more stuff online. I guess my STH information is located on the app....and that hasn't gone through yet.

7. I liked some of the graphics changes on the scoreboard. Players on the ice was a really nice touch.

8. Nice to see live hockey again. Reminded me more of the North Star College Cup early games minus the bands in terms of atmosphere.

Wait, the fan noise actually plays in the arena itself? Wow, I always thought they just added it to the broadcast feed. That must have sounded real weird to the players before they got used to it, hearing a crowd, looking up, and seeing no one making the noise.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Wait, the fan noise actually plays in the arena itself? Wow, I always thought they just added it to the broadcast feed. That must have sounded real weird to the players before they got used to it, hearing a crowd, looking up, and seeing no one making the noise.

Yeah they have an in arena mix that is different from the one you hear on the broadcast. I saw that he described it as surreal, and that is fairly accurate. As the game goes on it turns into more and more of an annoyance. I don't really know that it serves as a purpose for the players as the reactions are super delayed and a lot of times don't coincide with what is actually happening on the ice. Like weird random cheers at times the other team does something that normally fans wouldn't, or excessive rumbling during our power play. I almost wonder if it is to dilute some of the player conversation/sound more in the arena level to help with the broadcast or what. Sounds like they have tuned it down a bunch, but it is pretty obnoxious.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah they have an in arena mix that is different from the one you hear on the broadcast. I saw that he described it as surreal, and that is fairly accurate. As the game goes on it turns into more and more of an annoyance. I don't really know that it serves as a purpose for the players as the reactions are super delayed and a lot of times don't coincide with what is actually happening on the ice. Like weird random cheers at times the other team does something that normally fans wouldn't, or excessive rumbling during our power play. I almost wonder if it is to dilute some of the player conversation/sound more in the arena level to help with the broadcast or what. Sounds like they have tuned it down a bunch, but it is pretty obnoxious.

Sounds ill conceived. They should maybe take some surveys after each game about it, see if people actually like it. Like you said, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's because there are young ears in the crowd, and players aren't exactly known to keep their language PG (never mind the help it could potentially provide to the broadcast).

Anyway, it's interesting. I'm just curious for the reason they do it.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Sounds ill conceived. They should maybe take some surveys after each game about it, see if people actually like it. Like you said, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's because there are young ears in the crowd, and players aren't exactly known to keep their language PG (never mind the help it could potentially provide to the broadcast).

Anyway, it's interesting. I'm just curious for the reason they do it.

We were at the first game back vs the Avs and the guys behind us got kicked out.. some due to the alcohol and belligerence but it mostly started because one was yelling (amongst several others throughout the lower bowl) to turn off the crowd noise. I am sure the big thing is the aesthetics and in game experience, but personally I would love to just hear the pucks going tape to tape and the sounds of the game.. they could project it as that unique experience. We are going again tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if they have tweaked it at all now as games have gone on.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
We were at the first game back vs the Avs and the guys behind us got kicked out.. some due to the alcohol and belligerence but it mostly started because one was yelling (amongst several others throughout the lower bowl) to turn off the crowd noise. I am sure the big thing is the aesthetics and in game experience, but personally I would love to just hear the pucks going tape to tape and the sounds of the game.. they could project it as that unique experience. We are going again tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if they have tweaked it at all now as games have gone on.
Are they piping in any crowd noise during the actual game itself, similar to what we hear on the broadcast? Or just on breaks/between whistles?

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Are they piping in any crowd noise during the actual game itself, similar to what we hear on the broadcast? Or just on breaks/between whistles?

No it’s full on during the game, between periods there is none.. just the DJ playing mostly hip hop, actually lots of female artists (which is whatever, just something I noticed.. really changing their game ops) but even during the power plays there were random ooohs and ahhhs that didn’t fit, honestly some of the cheers were at awkward moments like Wild turnovers or penalties and things. Not a diverse sound track, it’s like when you’re a kid playing shinny in the basement and want your dad running sounds on YouTube and he plays a laugh track from I Love Lucy haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->