• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
With Kesler back, Steel needs to be in the AHL. He's not ready just yet.
Steel def could use some time in the AHL... so can Terry.

I think Sheerwood and comtois look fine... and I think lundestrom should be sent back to sweeden.

I find it funny that people criticize comtois skating... but he constantly finding himself behind the defense due to his skating :S

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I dont understand the mega hate for Schenn.... some of the expectations around here for a 6/7 D are insane. You save cap space by getting a guy like Schenn who will go out, bust his ass, try and make simple plays, like off the glass and out for cheap

Hating a player after two games is premature no matter who it is. I lurked the Leafs board some days ago and there was a couple of posts saying "I hate to say it, but Marincin was pretty good". I mean, why would you have a problem with a player on your team playing well? That's just dumb.

I remember some years ago when Devils fans would tell us how bad Sheldon Brookbank was when we acquired him from them. But he ended up playing pretty well for us. So many things comes into how a player performs.

With all that being said, I expect Carlyle to alter between Schenn and Sustr for a few more games at least. But I'm guessing Schenn will win the job eventually. He brings the physicality our defence needs, and I feel he is a better complement for Pettersson. Sustr and Pettersson are quite similar style-wise. One is just bigger.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Sustr made some outlet passes tape to tape that must make our coaches look twice. Probably those type of things that give him chances. Our vaunted young d seem to not be very good at that fundamental part of the game.

Schenn has been fine imo. Simple, safe, and a bit of toughness.

After watching the train wreck that was Bieksa, it’s tough not to feel better.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Steel just looked out of it. Very different than the previous game. Terry has some magic but some holes in his game. I've changed my mind and now think they both definitely need some time in the AHL. Perhaps they light it up over the next 5 games and change my mind.

Comtois seems like that guy that just knows how to find the soft spots and get in behind defenses. He looks fast and strong. I'd say he is NHL ready.

Lundy looks great. Very strong on the puck and excellent skating. If we truly roll 4 lines I would love to see him stay if they put him with some good wingers. He looked way better than Steel. May not have Steels skill or vision but in every other regard Lundy looks far superior and this ain't junior's anymore where you can just stick handle through defenses to score points.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Steel def could use some time in the AHL... so can Terry.

I think Sheerwood and comtois look fine... and I think lundestrom should be sent back to sweeden.

I find it funny that people criticize comtois skating... but he constantly finding himself behind the defense due to his skating :S
Yes, Terry needs some AHL time, too. He's only in the lineup because of injuries. Once Kase comes back, Terry should go down (or if Ritchie signs, just move someone to RW).

I don't mind Lundeström getting his nine game audition especially with Getzlaf out, he has looked much more poised than Steel. I would like to see how he would do with Steel's ice time and linemates.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
agree that sherwood and comtois should stay with the ducks

terry, steel, and lundestrom should be sent down

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Sustr made some outlet passes tape to tape that must make our coaches look twice. Probably those type of things that give him chances. Our vaunted young d seem to not be very good at that fundamental part of the game.

Schenn has been fine imo. Simple, safe, and a bit of toughness.

After watching the train wreck that was Bieksa, it’s tough not to feel better.

Seriously, either guy is such an upgrade. Neither player at this point has done anything to make me question whether they are actually trying to lose the game.

However, I am sad Mahura wasn't given a longer look. I really liked what I saw from him in the preseason.

Reactions: pbgoalie

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'd be fine with Lundestrom going down too. I don't mind heaping praise on him grading on an "he's only 18 and this is his first look at North America" curve. By that standard, he's been amazing.

But just straight graded as an NHLer, there's not much there. He's better than Steel or Terry at using his body and getting in proper position, but I haven't seen him doing anything special or interesting (I'm not gonna give him tons of credit for skating normally and having someone fly past and trip him. Some penalties are drawn, but some are gifts).

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'd be fine with Lundestrom going down too. I don't mind heaping praise on him grading on an "he's only 18 and this is his first look at North America" curve. By that standard, he's been amazing.

But just straight graded as an NHLer, there's not much there. He's better than Steel or Terry at using his body and getting in proper position, but I haven't seen him doing anything special or interesting (I'm not gonna give him tons of credit for skating normally and having someone fly past and trip him. Some penalties are drawn, but some are gifts).
This is a very TJM-like scouting report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad