GDT: G37 - COL @ MIN - 7PM Central - <Please Order Title Refills>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Usually when it leads that directly to a goal, it gets called. On the other hand, it really didn't seem all that forceful.

Between that and the backhand earlier, not a great one, but the 2nd period was bad for everybody so whatever.

Reactions: MK9

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Nobody can win a faceoff.

The sheer stupidity in accounting for that is a pretty good reason why they have the worst PP in the game. Worst case, you’re losing 20-30 seconds but impacting the unit’s ability to do anything by playing not one but two non-NHL players with three others who are expected to produce.

Talking about the difference, at most, of 25% swing between a good face off guy and a poor one but killing the productivity of the unit.

As I said, sheer incompetence.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Are you saying that's what's been occuring every game so far and it's the reason he's played poorly most of the season?

Spurgeon’s ‘downfall’ has been very over exaggerated this season. He’s 24th among all defenseman in 5v5 HDCF% and 38th in xGF%. He’s just been making more mistakes than he typically makes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon is not playing badly. Who is looking slow out there, and not able to keep up defending outside moves is Suter. He is also losing board battles that he never used to.

Reactions: Puhis

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The sheer stupidity in accounting for that is a pretty good reason why they have the worst PP in the game. Worst case, you’re losing 20-30 seconds but impacting the unit’s ability to do anything by playing not one but two non-NHL players with three others who are expected to produce.

Talking about the difference, at most, of 25% swing between a good face off guy and a poor one but killing the productivity of the unit.

As I said, sheer incompetence.

It’d be less of a problem if they weren’t bad at zone entires. I agree though that they shouldn’t have both of them on there, I’d rather Hartman or Ek be taking the draws.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Dunno. He just seems to be losing battles he didn't used to. Bouncing off guys and getting pushing around moreso than he has before. And when he does make a mistake, for some reason it just seems to be magnified. I don't dislike the guy by any means, but just doesn't look like he's himself this season.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
It’d be less of a problem if they weren’t bad at zone entires. I agree though that they shouldn’t have both of them on there, I’d rather Hartman or Ek be taking the draws.

Zone entries are a function of the coaching staff. They come up the ice the same way every time. They don’t do that by accident.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Spurgeon’s ‘downfall’ has been very over exaggerated this season. He’s 24th among all defenseman in 5v5 HDCF% and 38th in xGF%. He’s just been making more mistakes than he typically makes.
He’s also on pace for 25 points as the highest paid player in franchise history, which is bound to make people a little upset with his play

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Spurgeon is not playing badly. Who is looking slow out there, and not able to keep up defending outside moves is Suter. He is also losing board battles that he never used to.

Finally, someone else who sees this. Suter is getting beat out wide against not just Avs, but others too. Spurgeon hasn't been all that bad, but he also has to cover for two more often.

Reactions: 57special

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
They were starting to come out of their hole.....will getting the crap beat out of them by the Avs again knock them backward?

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He’s also on pace for 25 points as the highest paid player in franchise history, which is bound to make people a little upset with his play

If you're looking for a scapegoat, go somewhere else. All this "Waah waah Spurgeon bad" is growing stale. He's getting paid marginally more than Suter and Parise, and it shouldn't be hard to figure out which one out of those three is closest to earning their salary. Hell, I'd say the fact that Spurgeon is our highest paid payer at $7.5 mill and change tells more about our lack of superstars than him being grossly overpaid or anything.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

He’s also got the lowest team SH% when he’s on the ice among the other defensemen, while still generating a similar amount of HDCF. Points are a very hard thing to judge defensemen off of because there’s a lot of external factors in play. He’s had a bad offensive year, but his play hasn’t been bad.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He’s also got the lowest team SH% when he’s on the ice among the other defensemen, while still generating a similar amount of HDCF. Points are a very hard thing to judge defensemen off of because there’s a lot of external factors in play. He’s had a bad offensive year, but his play hasn’t been bad.

I don't think he's been as bad a some here say, but I'd still say that the eye test isn't quite the same as it has been.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Finally, someone else who sees this. Suter is getting beat out wide against not just Avs, but others too. Spurgeon hasn't been all that bad, but he also has to cover for two more often.
He lost a bit back when he had the foot injury, but this year it's been a big step back. Still handles the puck well, and is reasonably strong, but he is losing his base much quicker than I anticipated. Spurgeon has been off a few times this year, but I think it's more bad luck than anything.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t think he’s been bad this year. He’s still a top 4 defenseman for me pretty easily. It’s just frustrating all of the bad contracts we continually give out. Look at the good teams in this league. Everyone talks about trying to find the blueprint to building a good team. The reality is, there’s a ton of ways to do it; this is a parity driven league. However, the common thread is all the good teams make good use of their contracts. They all are getting more value than not. They have, as I call it, an expected cap higher than the actual salary cap, if that makes sense. Spurgeon needs to atleast play close to his cap hit otherwise he rightfully deserves to get some heat.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don’t think he’s been bad this year. He’s still a top 4 defenseman for me pretty easily. It’s just frustrating all of the bad contracts we continually give out. Look at the good teams in this league. Everyone talks about trying to find the blueprint to building a good team. The reality is, there’s a ton of ways to do it; this is a parity driven league. However, the common thread is all the good teams make good use of their contracts. They all are getting more value than not. They have, as I call it, an expected cap higher than the actual salary cap, if that makes sense. Spurgeon needs to atleast play close to his cap hit otherwise he rightfully deserves to get some heat.

Well yes and no. You can have a player play below his actual cap (not significantly) if others are making up the net difference positively.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Making it so easy for them. Let's go back to the box again!!!

Kinda funny that the first game with fans is gonna see them booing the team off the ice.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon is still a top 2 Dman, but he isn't a top 25 one like he has been the past couple of years. I thought the contract was at least one year too long, and also thought that awarding him the C was not wise. He has been a terrific player for us, but it doesn't take a genus to realize that he will decline as he heads into his 30's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->