GDT: G28: Finnish Independence Day (Wild @ Flames) 8pm CT/4am Finland (FSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I didn't think it was all that dirty. Just got beat on a move along the boards and tried to get a piece of him. Result sucks though. Stalock probably won't play enough to be a real factor in our playoff run.

Never know with those goaltenders. He looked really tight.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I didn't think it was all that dirty. Just got beat on a move along the boards and tried to get a piece of him. Result sucks though. Stalock probably won't play enough to be a real factor in our playoff run.
Extremely dirty knee. Even Giordano knew it because he skated right to Koivu to apologize.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know. That hit looked high. Did Dumba leave his feet prior to the contact?
Nope. Looked clean to me, but I don't know what a clean hit is anymore. Sometimes you get a penalty even if the hit is clean, if you hit them well enough. Main thing, for me was that there was no intent to injure there, at all.

Seems that the league is going towards no hitting

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Intentionally going knee on knee is about as dirty as it gets

I agree it was a dirty hit, not suspendable though. Flames fan here too. I am just saying Gio isn't a dirty player, they were playing hard for Smith because people have been calling for his head recently in Calgary. Our guys were literally diving in front of shots the last few minutes. Would be very surprised to find out any validity of maliciousness. Unfortunate outcome though. Dumba probably knocked Backlund out of our line-up if it makes you feel better. Fair hit and Dumba is awesome btw.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, not really that 'weird' of a game after all. Just not very good and we lose Koivu. Awesome.

I can't remember a single player standing out as playing a good game...Spurgeon maybe? I thought Granlund had a really poor game. Also seem appropriate for this team to go 3-3 on the PP last game and now go 0-5 or whatever it was. Smith did play pretty well overall though.

Hard to get too upset about single plays when you only give up two goals but Granlund was a major factor on #1 and Ek on #2. Although it seemed like more of a team effort on the 2nd goal.

Oh well. Hopefully they rebound tomorrow. And hopefully it's not serious with Mikko.
Spurgeon was good.

Granlund was off. Zucker, too. Suter...he's starting to worry me. I know he gets lots of points, but he doesn't look right.

Kind of sad that Coyle and Nino are such nonentities now. They simply don't affect the game much, though I guess they are good grinders? Just two years ago they looked like borderline 1st liners, now...3rd liners.

This team seems to be very careless, and give up a lot of odd man rushes. Some basic things seem to go by the wayside, i.e. i was always taught that the back checking forward takes the wide man if at all possible, letting the Dman or men to take the middle. I don't know how many times I've seen guys backchecking on a 3 on 2 and they go for the puck carrier in the middle, leaving the wide attacker open. It's like they don't understand that there is no way a Dman is going to vacate the center and go over there, and also that dmen will be able to defend a simple 2 v2, especially when some of the ice is taken away by the attacking and defending forward.

I thought CAL was clearly the better team tonight, damn the shots.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I agree it was a dirty hit, not suspendable though. Flames fan here too. I am just saying Gio isn't a dirty player, they were playing hard for Smith because people have been calling for his head recently in Calgary. Our guys were literally diving in front of shots the last few minutes. Would be very surprised to find out any validity of maliciousness. Unfortunate outcome though. Dumba probably knocked Backlund out of our line-up if it makes you feel better. Fair hit and Dumba is awesome btw.
I agree that Giordano isn't a dirty player, but that is absolutely a suspendable hit.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Intentionally going knee on knee is about as dirty as it gets
Giordano has done that same hit before & avoided getting suspended somehow.
In April 2017 Giordano did that knee on knee hit to Cam Fowler & Fowler missed the 1st round playoff series vs the Flames, the Flames were swept in 4 games by Ducks cause of how motivated they were to make Giordano pay.

Giordano/Tkachuk/Neal all on the same team. The Flames coach sent out a player to fight one of ur players as a retaliation move, Flame's goon coach should be suspended.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Nope. Looked clean to me, but I don't know what a clean hit is anymore. Sometimes you get a penalty even if the hit is clean, if you hit them well enough. Main thing, for me was that there was no intent to injure there, at all.

Seems that the league is going towards no hitting

I don't see how the league is getting towards no hitting if questions are asked whenever a player is hit to the head.

I don't question Dumba's intentions, he made the right call. And I've been waiting for Dumba to light people up with open ice hits ever since he was draftes and have been very happy this season when he has delivered.

The question is, did Dumba leave his feet prior to the contact and did it have an impact on the outcome. I don't mind the decision to make that hit, I simply question whether Dumba executed the hit within rules.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Kind of sad that Coyle and Nino are such nonentities now. They simply don't affect the game much, though I guess they are good grinders? Just two years ago they looked like borderline 1st liners, now...3rd liners.

This is a very Minnesota thing. Tuch is almost a PPG right now (21 points in 22 games), but I don't see him replicating that production here. Honestly, I think Fenton needs to look at this organization and ask what is wrong with the team and how they develop young players. I always saw Coyle as a 20-25/20-25 type of player and el Nino as a 30-30 guy. But they look terrible. And I blame it on the organization and on the players.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This is a very Minnesota thing. Tuch is almost a PPG right now (21 points in 22 games), but I don't see him replicating that production here. Honestly, I think Fenton needs to look at this organization and ask what is wrong with the team and how they develop young players. I always saw Coyle as a 20-25/20-25 type of player and el Nino as a 30-30 guy. But they look terrible. And I blame it on the organization and on the players.

Tuch needed a year in the AHL + offseason training to learn the pro game; which he got; Vegas is the beneficiary of that. It's pretty common for college players to need that year to physically and mentally adjust to so many more games and travel.

Blame NYI for Nino's development not MN. He was a 28g/22a (74 games) player his last AHL season. He was ready to play in the NHL his first season with MN. He was pacing for that 30/30 season last year before he got injured, he just hasn't looked the same since then.

Coyle is the one that's holding himself back, it's all mental with him. I don't see anymore time in the AHL (Yeo's system) fixing that.

The wild also needed Coyle and Nino thier first years in MN, they went from development to go for it mode right after the Parise/Suter signings.

You can blame the system, but the Wild were bad at drafting FWDs for awhile: 4-5 straight drafts of nothing more than fringe NHL FWD talent (maybe the traded pick would have helped and maybe they wouldn't). You can polish a turd all you want, but in the end it's still a turd. The last few drafts have some promise to them for FWDs.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
not a lot of skill on display except for granny right now. staal is constantly over skating pucks but still getting shots off he just isn't finding the back of the net. This is a dump and chase team right now which is not only boring but very predictable for the other team. We're looking like a bunch of grinders once again.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
what got me was Giordano mouthing off at Koivu after he hit him. No shame, at all.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
what got me was Giordano mouthing off at Koivu after he hit him. No shame, at all.
It was pretty clear that he was skating over to apologize. Koivu wasn't really interested in hearing it though

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It was pretty clear that he was skating over to apologize. Koivu wasn't really interested in hearing it though

That's what I thought it was too.

I don't blame Koivu for turning a deaf ear to any chirps or apology. Seeing how bad he was hurt was more important to him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

At the time I didn't think so, because he did the same thing to Zucker after he x-checked him. But now seeing the reply on NHL network, it definitely didn't look like chirping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad