GDT: G28: Finnish Independence Day (Wild @ Flames) 8pm CT/4am Finland (FSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Who: Minnesota Wild (15-10-2) at Calgary Flames (17-9-2)
Puck drop: 8:08 p.m. CT
Watch: FOX Sports North; FOX Sports app
Listen: KFAN FM 100.3, Wild Radio Network, Wild NHL App

Happy 101st Birthday Finland :cheers:

I hope I'm getting this correct. The interwebs told me this stuff:
Independence Day is a public holiday on 6 December to celebrate Finland’s withdrawal from Russia after the events of World War I.

People place blue and white candles in their windows, bakeries sell blue and white pastries, shops are adorned with blue and white decorations and there are blue and white flags on display everywhere. On TV, you can hear patriotic music, listen to lively discussions and watch the legendary film The Unknown Soldier (the vintage version), an emotional story based on Väinö Linna’s eponymous novel about the Second World War.

Finland_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

Wild and Flames meet for the first of 3 games today. The Flames have been on fire (pun intended) of late.

Calgary returns home to open a stretch of three-of-four games at the Saddledome on Thursday. The Flames are coming off a 9-6 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday and have earned at least a point in five-straight contests, going 4-0-1 during that span.
Since Nov. 17, the Flames have posted a 7-1-1 record, moving to the top spot in the Pacific Division.
Calgary boasts one of the top offenses in the NHL, with it's 3.57 goals-per-game tied for fifth-most in the League entering play on Wednesday. Its power play is ranked 11th, converting at a 23.8 percent clip.

Minnesota is 13-5-3 in its last 21 games against Calgary, including an eight-game point streak (7-0-1, 11/5/13-3/24/16)… The Wild is 12-5-2 in its last 19 games at the Saddledome after starting 3-18-4.

notsureifflameslogo-is-a-c-oratoilet-seat-inngflip-com-calgary-flames-throne-2037640.png

Lets Go Wild!

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
My mom recently did a DNA test thing .... 36 years of life boys and girls, and I'm just NOW finding out that I'm .5% Finnish! My Finnish brothers and sisters, let's celebrate our independence with a big WILD WIN!

Yes yes yes ... I know those tests are not super specific especially when the other 99% of her ancestry is from Norway and Poland.

Reactions: FVM and jackouu

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames fan here with Finnish heritage (my Grandfather's name was Taipaleenmäki) looking forward to a good game. Unfortunately the Flames token Finn, Juuso Välimäki, won't be playing tonight due to injury.

Reactions: jackouu

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Happy Independence Day to our Finnish bros!!

What does a typical Finland Independence Day entail?

I just learned about this today, so I read/skimmed some articles about it, but I really would like to hear more about it, too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
My mom recently did a DNA test thing .... 36 years of life boys and girls, and I'm just NOW finding out that I'm .5% Finnish! My Finnish brothers and sisters, let's celebrate our independence with a big WILD WIN!

Yes yes yes ... I know those tests are not super specific especially when the other 99% of her ancestry is from Norway and Poland.
You're 0.5%, I'm 50%.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

Hopefully Finndependence Day is celebrated through smothering small fires by dropping hats on them with theatrical flourish.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

Watch Tuntematon Sotilas (Unknown Soldier), eat Karelian Stew and watch the independence day party on TV (which is basically celebrities shaking hands with the president for hours. Yes, it's boring as hell).

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017

It used to be very serious kind of holiday. People dressing in black, remembering the war times and honoring veterans and those who gave their lives for Finland. For outsider it might even have look like a day of mourning. For me it was a bit confusing, because we came here when I was 5 years old and we came from Germany, where the same day is Saint Nicolaus day, or something like that. Kind of a pre christmas day, all joyful and things like that. And then here people are just silenty and very seriously "celebrating".

Today it is no longer so serious day, and people are also partying joyfully, but usually the day before, because this day is also free day from work, but tomorrow is normal workday. So some people go out and celebrate on the 5. and then are hangover on the 6. and just watch on tv the ceremony in president "castle". And then there is also some people even protesting in capital city. Far-right extremists, neo-nazis and some left wing protest too. Before that would have been unthinkable, but times are changing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Stalock in net against a Flames team that averages > 4 goals/game at home.

I don't mind. Let Dub play his old team (EDM) tomorrow night. Stalock needs some work anyways, and he can counter Flames dump-ins better.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I was half-considering just updating the Nuks GDT for today's game, just to keep that live thread. I really liked that feature. :nod:

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I'm not sure I can put this into words or explain it well enough but I had a feeling Stalock would get this game...I get this feeling it could be a 'weird' game. Calgary scores a ton at home. Feels like Stalock can handle a 'weird' game better than Dubnyk could.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not sure I can put this into words or explain it well enough but I had a feeling Stalock would get this game...I get this feeling it could be a 'weird' game. Calgary scores a ton at home. Feels like Stalock can handle a 'weird' game better than Dubnyk could.

I agree with this right now. Another blowup game isn't something Dub needs to see right now.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
doobs needs a rest / vacation. i'd come up with an injury excuse and callup kaapo. well if this gets ugly tonight im not sticking it out for the long haul. we have to play better than we did against the nuckers.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
doobs needs a rest / vacation. i'd come up with an injury excuse and callup kaapo. well if this gets ugly tonight im not sticking it out for the long haul. we have to play better than we did against the nuckers.

If it's going to be an ugly game keep the rookie goalie far away. Let Hammond be the callup and play mop up duty.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Flames usually put up a bad effort when coming home from a road trip. Heck of a road trip... but yeah.

Here’s to a good game! (And next weekend in St. Paul)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Finnish Independence? EVERYONE INTO THE SAUNA

FYI we are testing out a new forum feature called Live Threads. New posts will continuously pop in like a constant feed so you can follow along without refreshing.

If you'd like to try it, join the usergroup here:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/account/join-user-groups

It will only affect a few specific threads at this time like this GDT.

Let @SniperHF know if you run into any problems with it.​

Reactions: Lapa

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Sweet, I'm trying it out.

Actually, I better be careful. With streaming internet it's usually like 30 seconds behind, so I'll have to avoid spoilers. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad