GDT: G2: Wild Home Opener vs Vegas. 7pm CT/3am Suomi (FSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Duby looks sharp
Parise looks fantastic ... continuing from his great 2nd half last year
Dumba is worth every penny
Granny looks like a great leader out there
Suter looks like hes not trying.. terrible game tonight
Mikko is washed
Staal is okay
Zuck isnt as fast as he once was
Everyone else is a mixed bag

long way to go tho... but i wont hold my breath. however, the fringe team we expected is for sure what we're seeing.
i use "fringe" lightly

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You're kidding, right? Reaves is one of the toughest fighters in the league.

4+ years ago I would have agreed with that statement. He's nowhere near that guy anymore. He does have his yearly friendly fisticuffs with McLeod and Watson, but the rest of the time he'll only drop the gloves with the Nurse's and BoGo's of the NHL.

The Foligno fight tonight was just an embarrassment to hockey fights (Foligno tripping over his own feet mostly).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dumba the best d-man though the first 2 games of the season. Didn't think I'd say that, ever.
I've said it before, I'll say it again... he's a future #1 defenseman... the future may be sooner than expected though.

Dumba looks to be continuing the trend of improving every year. He's an absolute beast right now. Starting to wish we locked him up for the 8 year max again.

Suter doesn't look bad.. he's still in position etc., but he looks like he's lacking confidence so far. His passing is a bit off. He needs more time to get his game back in gear.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've said it before, I'll say it again... he's a future #1 defenseman... the future may be sooner than expected though.

Dumba looks to be continuing the trend of improving every year. He's an absolute beast right now. Starting to wish we locked him up for the 8 year max again.

Suter doesn't look bad.. he's still in position etc., but he looks like he's lacking confidence so far. His passing is a bit off. He needs more time to get his game back in gear.

His positioning is there, just everything about his game seems slow. I hope it's just rust and confidence and not the "new" Suter.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Missed the game. Shame we lost, how did we look?
Dumba and Duubs looked FANTASTIC!
Granlund looks good, Staal and Zucker both look off their game... both were very sloppy.
Parise looks good, Koivu looks solid... Nino not so much.
3rd line is an utter failure at this point.
4th line looks ok for a 4th line.
Suter seems to skate fine, still plays with smarts, but clearly isn't confident in his game yet.
Brodin and Spurgeon don't look bad together, I even thought Brodin played one of his better games.
Seeler and Pateryn look like a solid 3rd pair. Love the physical edge Seeler is playing with.

Reactions: Lapa

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Missed the game. Shame we lost, how did we look?

To add to Talon:
- Spurgeon had a great block to save a goal.
- The Wild's attempts during the shootout left a lot to be desired.
- A really bad attempt at fighting by Foligno. It was needed with Reeves getting away with "questionable" hits.

Reactions: Lapa

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Team's sloppy with the puck, giving it away too easily. Then they have to do massive amount of work to get it back -> it makes you tired, so giving it away too cheaply again. No control.

Tough to even predict how long it takes before Suter gets back to his level. It may be a long journey (flow, speed, tight turns, angles and tight places). Of course it's great that he's even playing at the moment, the man is a warrior. But the team still needs to survive some time.

3rd line..

Dubnyk was a monster, carried the team. Dumba looks great.

Season is young, although would be nice to see some more positives already.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I still don't see any problems that are skating related. Are we really going to question his ankle every time he throws a pass thats 3 feet off target?
Something is wrong though. He looks different while out there. No idea if that’s just the way he normally was and Dumba just looks a lot better. I didn’t catch a lot of last night’s game but in game 1 I thought Suter deferred to Dumba a ton which was a little shocking.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Something is wrong though. He looks different while out there. No idea if that’s just the way he normally was and Dumba just looks a lot better. I didn’t catch a lot of last night’s game but in game 1 I thought Suter deferred to Dumba a ton which was a little shocking.
Something looks different because people are looking to see if anything is different. Last year if he throws a pass behind someone, nobody notices. This year the same play is proof that his career is over.

2nd period last night, Suter had to turn at the blueline and beat Haula in an icing race. He did so with ease. How come nobody is talking about that?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Something looks different because people are looking to see if anything is different. Last year if he throws a pass behind someone, nobody notices. This year the same play is proof that his career is over.

2nd period last night, Suter had to turn at the blueline and beat Haula in an icing race. He did so with ease. How come nobody is talking about that?
I don’t think that’s it. I think people expect a certain level of play from Suter and he’s still recovering from his surgery. I’m not super worried about it right now but if it’s still like this around game 25 then I’d be a little worried. But yeah, I was only half paying attention while watching on my phone last night. We shall see.

Haula probably showed up out shape :sarcasm:

Reactions: Aurinko and 2Pair

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Bet we see different lines next game.

My support for JEE is unwavering despite the numbers. He is always around the puck, takes the body, forces the other guys into plays. But that line has been atrocious.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bet we see different lines next game.

My support for JEE is unwavering despite the numbers. He is always around the puck, takes the body, forces the other guys into plays. But that line has been atrocious.
Agree about Ek, but what the Wild are thinking by moving him to wing and putting Greenway in his spot....I mean, REALLY?

Coyle and Nino are the guys who are really disappointing me so far, but I said I was going to bite my tongue and wait a few games before I rant.

Wonder when the Rantmaster, Avder, is going to show up?

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Agree about Ek, but what the Wild are thinking by moving him to wing and putting Greenway in his spot....I mean, REALLY?

Coyle and Nino are the guys who are really disappointing me so far, but I said I was going to bite my tongue and wait a few games before I rant.

When really is the last time Coyle or Nino had any sustained presence? Do they have one way contracts? Would be nice to see somebody from Iowa get a chance because these two have been getting every opportunity for awhile now and nothing is developing.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
When really is the last time Coyle or Nino had any sustained presence? Do they have one way contracts? Would be nice to see somebody from Iowa get a chance because these two have been getting every opportunity for awhile now and nothing is developing.
I believe there are only handful of two-way contracts and they aren't Nino's or Charlie's :laugh:

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Also, one-way/two-way contracts have nothing to do with being able to be sent down or anything like that. It's just players who are paid different salaries if they are playing in the NHL or AHL. I don't know the specifics but waivers are determined by service time/games played. Any player who's played significant time in the NHL has to pass through waivers if they're sent to the minors.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Also, one-way/two-way contracts have nothing to do with being able to be sent down or anything like that. It's just players who are paid different salaries if they are playing in the NHL or AHL. I don't know the specifics but waivers are determined by service time/games played. Any player who's played significant time in the NHL has to pass through waivers if they're sent to the minors.

There is a games played aspect to it for players on their ELC and the age they signed their contract. But basically player that has finished their ELC needs waivers, even if they have never played a NHL game. Goalies are under somewhat different rules.

A two-way deal is just different salaries for NHL or AHL. It's just so that a teams aren't going broke supporting their AHL team's salaries. If the AHL players got paid their full NHL salaries it would cost ~$20m in salaries. $3m-$5m in salary is the range most teams want for their AHL teams.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There is a games played aspect to it for players on their ELC and the age they signed their contract. But basically player that has finished their ELC needs waivers, even if they have never played a NHL game. Goalies are under somewhat different rules.

A two-way deal is just different salaries for NHL or AHL. It's just so that a teams aren't going broke supporting their AHL team's salaries. If the AHL players got paid their full NHL salaries it would cost ~$20m in salaries. $3m-$5m in salary is the range most teams want for their AHL teams.
ELC technically has nothing to do with waivers. Waiver eligibility is only affected by age when signed and games played in the NHL.

18yro skater who is signed isn't eligible until 5yrs or 160 NHL games. An ELC can only be a max of 3 years, so technically that's 2 potential years beyond the ELC.

Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Wabit

May 23, 2016
ELC technically has nothing to do with waivers. Waiver eligibility is only affected by age when signed and games played in the NHL.

18yro skater who is signed isn't eligible until 5yrs or 160 NHL games. An ELC can only be a max of 3 years, so technically that's 2 potential years beyond the ELC.

Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

An ELC can be good for 5 years also if it slides the U-20 years: either as an Euro-loan, CHL, or AHL. The ELC would start counting until he hits the 11th NHL game in a season, or it's his 20 yo season. What I'm trying to say is a U-20 skater won't get a 2nd contract before his waivers exemption expires.

Look at Nylander for Buffalo. He was stuck in the AHL for his draft years +1 and +2. His contract slid so he'll could be a total bust and never see the NHL, but his waivers exemption wouldn't expire until his ELC is over.

The 22-23 yo players only get a 2 year ELC, but if they don't meet the NHL games played requirement are waivers exempt for a 3rd year (Reilly last year).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
An ELC can be good for 5 years also if it slides the U-20 years: either as an Euro-loan, CHL, or AHL. The ELC would start counting until he hits the 11th NHL game in a season, or it's his 20 yo season. What I'm trying to say is a U-20 skater won't get a 2nd contract before his waivers exemption expires.

Look at Nylander for Buffalo. He was stuck in the AHL for his draft years +1 and +2. His contract slid so he'll could be a total bust and never see the NHL, but his waivers exemption wouldn't expire until his ELC is over.

The 22-23 yo players only get a 2 year ELC, but if they don't meet the NHL games played requirement are waivers exempt for a 3rd year (Reilly last year).
9 NHL games or less permits the contract to slide. 11 games or more jumpstarts waiver eligibility for a 18-19yro from 5yrs and 4yrs down to 3.

Theoretically a player could play 10 games, lose the ability to slide the contract, yet not enough games to trigger the jumpstart on waivers.

It rarely if ever happens, but in theory it CAN happen.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
What is an Entry Level Slide?
If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad